Giving blood at Red Cross

stegosaurus1

I agree with sun. Screenings are there for a reason. It is to protect the people that need blood. I give Platelets every 2 weeks and I understand the 3 hr time commitment. But if I ever needed blood, I know I would want clean blood

You are a star!! This is a huge comment of time on your part. I am always astonished for those of you who do this for so many years! :)

OK let me fill you in regarding the plasma comment. When the blood is separated in the lab, several compents are in individual pouches (you know the bundle of bags you see when you donate). All donations when separated will have one bag of plasma (will become FFP - fresh frozen plasma). In the lab there is a huge amount of plasma at any given time. It is used for many reasons eg. for a burn victim. There is always more plasma than the other components. When asked about ASA, the red cells will be discarded, the same for someone who has had malaria. Surprisingly, a good number of donations on any given day will cause this unbalance. There is always lots of FFP. Red cells have a short shelf life and are used fresh. See the difference?? In the Toronto centre we used to do a wonderful clinic (lots of community involvement, terrific turnout) that was put on by a particular south asian community, it was stopped after a couple of years. Those of us on the clinic loved it. However, the majority of the people had malaria at some point in their lives. 90% or so of the red cells were disgarded. The lab got to the point there was no more room to store the plasma. Remember, there is always lots there. So hence the reason I said that it can be a waste of time for all involved. It is very expensive to collect blood. Of course you won't hear from the CBS that plasma is rountinely disgarded as they can't use the stores by there "use by" dates.

The selfish comment is for those bone heads that think if they can't donate because rules don't apply to them. Just like many of the comments that were posted. The safety of the recipent is of upmost importance.

Thank you for coming back and elaborating on the FFP and blood collections. I still think that there is a need for plasma, maybe not where you live but in other places perhaps. It seems like there was enough demand somewhere that Luddite was able to finance his grocery shopping in college ;).

And yes, I am aware that blood and blood products go unused and are disposed of. Hospitals have to keep an extra supply on hand because there is no way they can predict natural disaster, multiple trauma, or patients that require multiple transfusions...inevitably there will be some not used and yes, even with planning and a good supply there can be shortages and hospital blood banks can drastically restrict who receives certain blood products when days earlier it would not be an issue.

I really think you were reading too much into what people were saying. People were just relating that they were surprised/disappointed that they couldn't give blood (because they want to help the recipient!)...not reporting that they demanded to have their blood drawn when they were told no as you assumed they did.

Calling people who donate blood "selfish" and now calling people "bone heads" is just way too much. I wouldn't consider anyone who went to try donate blood either of these things. Those names are mean.

Coffeecat

Archived