Giving blood at Red Cross

stegosaurus1

We always knew that traveling to Haiti was a no-no if you were an active blood donor and wanted to stay that way. Well news update, Samana, Dominican Republic is also a no visit port. You have to wait a year to give blood at the Red Cross, if you've been to Samana, the chance of MALARIA is too great. There's even a question about just staying on the boat and not tendering in...There's been a blood shortage here in Northern Ohio and we're disappointed that we couldn't participate. We have to wait a year from the visit to give blood.

Usually the limitation on blood donation is one year from having visited places listed as problematic. Of course, every medical director can implement more stringent rules if he chooses. My husband was a regular donor and then he began receiving botox for a focal dystonia and the medical director banned him. A few laters was when the cosmetic botox explosion occurred and I wonder if the botox ban in our area is still on. Sure would thin out the donor pool a bit :rolleyes:

The list of "banned" countries (areas) changes as malaria spreads (and there are other diseases that they're trying to keep out of the donor pool, but malaria is the main one). I suggest that cruisers check the Red Cross website or call them before they try to give blood- to find out what the current rules are. Also, years ago, the wait time was 6 months, now it's one year- who knows when they might change this again????

I am O-neg/CMV-neg and in no risk groups. They used to call me for a specific day for donating. Not just 'when can you come in' but 'we need you on such/such day.' Mine goes to new-borns.

I was told that any place that has mayan Ruins will flag you for 12 months. Dominican Republic also. I was wondering if it really is necessary to wait 12 mos after a visit to a malaria-risk area. My Doc said it could take that long for symptoms to show or for it to be detectable.

I was rejected a few years ago because I had travelled to Zihuatenejo. When they showed me the list of places they considered unacceptable, I told them to take me off the donor list because I was not going to stop cruising to those places. I didn't want to waste their time or mine.

I was told the same thing by Canadian Blood Services and since we visit Mexico yearly (different locales) I can no longer donate.:(

Will you people listen to yourselves??????

The reason for the the rules is TO PROTECT THE RECIPIENT.

If you are visiting an area with malaria, mosquitoes can get you even on a ship. If you have had malaria, only the plasma can be used - pretty much a big waste of time for all involved BTW.

As an FYI I worked for the Canadian Blood Services for a few years. I got really sick of people thinking that the rules didn't apply to them when it came to exclusions. An unfortunate bonus of tattoos and ear pearcing can be hepatitis. Medications that you take may kill some innocent patient from a drug reaction. Unprotected sex can lead to HIV or STIs. Dengue fever, yellow fever etc from tropical areas. And so on and so on....

The rules are there for a reason - TO PROTECT THE RECIPIENT.

I agree with sun. Screenings are there for a reason. It is to protect the people that need blood. I give Platelets every 2 weeks and I understand the 3 hr time commitment. But if I ever needed blood, I know I would want clean blood

If you are visiting an area with malaria, mosquitoes can get you even on a ship. If you have had malaria, only the plasma can be used - pretty much a big waste of time for all involved BTW.

As an FYI I worked for the Canadian Blood Services for a few years. I got really sick of people thinking that the rules didn't apply to them when it came to exclusions. An unfortunate bonus of tattoos and ear pearcing can be hepatitis. Medications that you take may kill some innocent patient from a drug reaction. Unprotected sex can lead to HIV or STIs. Dengue fever, yellow fever etc from tropical areas. And so on and so on....

Easy now. I don't see any posters asking for a change in policy. I'm not in favor of it. Not everyone is aware of the policy at the blood centers.

There is a long list of things that can disqualify a donation at the blood center. And they have NO sense of humor about it either.

Gees relax there. Calling donors selfish is pretty lame.

Nobody was complaining about the rules, just sharing experiences.

they questions me about belize, but it was over a year so they let me give.

I'm not sure about down in the States, but the Canadian Blood Services is okay if you stay within Belize City and not venture outside.

Doesn't matter though, I too got rejected since I was in Roatan after my last cruise.

After more than 200 donations, I AM WELL AWARE OF THE REASON I CAN NO LONGER DONATE. I am also well aware that it is for the benefit of all blood recipients that the blood they receive be as clean as possible. There was no whining involved in my post. Please don't label all who post on this thread selfish.:p

I didn't think it was selfish of me to have them take me off the list. Who do you consider selfish ?

Ummm...thanks for letting us know that donating blood is to protect recipients.

I think the people posting about their experiences with the blood bank were actually just sharing experiences as well and perhaps trying to inform people that where they travel may impact whether or not they can donate. I had no idea, nor did my husband, that traveling to Roatan would exclude him from the donor list. Donating blood was really important to him and I know that he was disappointed that he was not able to because he wasn't able to help people. He understands what blood is used for and why he wasn't allowed to donate and of course the reason that he did donate blood was FOR THE RECIPIENT.

And why is plasma a waste of time?

You are basically calling people who donate blood selfish for expressing dismay that they can't donate and help people. Classy.

Coffeecat

I missed the plasma reference. Sun obviously has little knowledge of the subject to dismiss plasma in that manner.

Luddite,

I am surmising that it's a "waste of time BTW" because the other blood components can't be used. Throw the baby out with the bath water. I will let all the people with a coagulopathy and liver patients know this helpful information.

Let's go back to bashing the DSC, suite passengers, and those new menus please ;).

Coffeecat

Luddite,

I am surmising that it's a "waste of time BTW" because the other blood components can't be used. Throw the baby out with the bath water. I will let all the people with a coagulopathy and liver patients know this helpful information.

Let's go back to bashing the DSC, suite passengers, and those new menus please ;).

Coffeecat

For 2 years in college, selling blood plasma got a lot of grocery money for me. My number at the center was 2006. This was a twice weekly event for me and a lot of friends. I learned a bit about what plasma is used for.

Come to think of it, can I donate plasma if I'm on the malaria watch-list?

It is always discouraging to go through the 30 minute questionaire only to learn you're disqualified because you visited a port for a couple of hours. I'm sure after we visit Guatemala, I'll have the same response. :confused:

I did not mean for my post to seem selfish; but I do wish they would advise potential donors early in the interview process they may be unable to donate if they've traveled to malaria-prone countries (if only for a few hours).

I did not mean for my post to seem selfish; but I do wish they would advise potential donors early in the interview process they may be unable to donate if they've traveled to malaria-prone countries (if only for a few hours).

I hear ya. They ask a lot of questions and they've gotta start somewhere.

At least with the malaria risk and us cruisers, it's a one-time thing. After you've been through it once there's no need to do it again 6 months later.

And why is plasma a waste of time?

You are basically calling people who donate blood selfish for expressing dismay that they can't donate and help people. Classy.

Coffeecat

OK let me fill you in regarding the plasma comment. When the blood is separated in the lab, several compents are in individual pouches (you know the bundle of bags you see when you donate). All donations when separated will have one bag of plasma (will become FFP - fresh frozen plasma). In the lab there is a huge amount of plasma at any given time. It is used for many reasons eg. for a burn victim. There is always more plasma than the other components. When asked about ASA, the red cells will be discarded, the same for someone who has had malaria. Surprisingly, a good number of donations on any given day will cause this unbalance. There is always lots of FFP. Red cells have a short shelf life and are used fresh. See the difference?? In the Toronto centre we used to do a wonderful clinic (lots of community involvement, terrific turnout) that was put on by a particular south asian community, it was stopped after a couple of years. Those of us on the clinic loved it. However, the majority of the people had malaria at some point in their lives. 90% or so of the red cells were disgarded. The lab got to the point there was no more room to store the plasma. Remember, there is always lots there. So hence the reason I said that it can be a waste of time for all involved. It is very expensive to collect blood. Of course you won't hear from the CBS that plasma is rountinely disgarded as they can't use the stores by there "use by" dates.

The selfish comment is for those bone heads that think if they can't donate because rules don't apply to them. Just like many of the comments that were posted. The safety of the recipent is of upmost importance.

Archived