Barbados Resident?

Abberboo

Hi Guys,

I have been off this message board for quite some time not having cruised since December 2008 and really could use some guidance. My boss is providing me with a week stay in Barbados at one of the Almond Beach Resorts:

1) Almond Beach Club & Spa - I believe this is in St James

2) Almond Casuarina Beach Resort - Christ Church

3) Almond Beach Village - location is 1 Main Street - Almond Beach in St Peter

So, having been to Barbados a couple times on cruises, I only did two things. One was that submarine excursion and the other we took a bus to Paynes Bay Beach right near Sandy Lane Beach and we liked that and the turtle snorkeling but the tide came up quick in the afternoon it seemed like and that was in November.

So what I have been looking for and cant seem to find is two things, of these three resorts and their location are any on smoother water sides of the island or rougher sides? Has anyone been to any of these that has first hand knowledge?

Thanks a million in advance..MJ

ABC, adults only West coast & right next door to Sandy Lane really, beach not much but if you turn left to SL....Some night life in Holetown

ACB, South coast the old Casurina beach club, family hotel near the "Gap" for nightlife.

ABV, Up North in Speightstown, family hotel big rambling place, would be my last choice, less to do outside the hotel.

The South coast has slightly rougher water usually than the West (ABC/ABV) I would go for the AB Club.

John - I do have one other question - regarding ABV I am really looking for a resort that seems larger or with more spacious grounds. I am not a big partier at night but will probably get some sun during the day and go shopping late in the afternoons. Is this a good resort itself, all other things aside? I am going back and forth between the pros and cons of ABV and ABC and cant decide. I am leaning on each one for totally different reasons.

John - I do have one other question - regarding ABV I am really looking for a resort that seems larger or with more spacious grounds. I am not a big partier at night but will probably get some sun during the day and go shopping late in the afternoons. Is this a good resort itself, all other things aside? I am going back and forth between the pros and cons of ABV and ABC and cant decide. I am leaning on each one for totally different reasons.

If you opt for ABC you have quite a few shops & if you wish restaurants in nearby Holetown, + Paynes Bay & Sandy Lane are a short beach walk. ABV is large with extensive grounds there are shops & one or two places to eat in Nearby Speightstown...more ''local'' though than Holetown. I would have no doubts at all, I would stay at ABC. Both are on the main road with a good bus service to the rest of the island.

Hi Guys,

I have been off this message board for quite some time not having cruised since December 2008 and really could use some guidance. My boss is providing me with a week stay in Barbados at one of the Almond Beach Resorts:

1) Almond Beach Club & Spa - I believe this is in St James

2) Almond Casuarina Beach Resort - Christ Church

3) Almond Beach Village - location is 1 Main Street - Almond Beach in St Peter

So, having been to Barbados a couple times on cruises, I only did two things. One was that submarine excursion and the other we took a bus to Paynes Bay Beach right near Sandy Lane Beach and we liked that and the turtle snorkeling but the tide came up quick in the afternoon it seemed like and that was in November.

So what I have been looking for and cant seem to find is two things, of these three resorts and their location are any on smoother water sides of the island or rougher sides? Has anyone been to any of these that has first hand knowledge?

Thanks a million in advance..MJ

ABC and ABV are on the quiet side Don't know about Cuasuarina. Stayed at ABV and ABC. Village has nice beach and quiet location. Club has no beach. You have to walk approx. 100 yds to the Sandy Lane beach. Both had been great vacations. Beautiful people working at the ABC. Village is larger but has a better rum shop. ;)

We ended up deciding on ABC. We are excited. We did find out and I wasnt aware we can visit the other 2 resorts if we wish so I am really excited about that.

Now I am trying to decide on what to do/see around the island - some must see things.

One thing I am trying to recall, when I have been there I have used two buses - one seemed like city transportation and then one was a smaller awesome Caribbeanish bus with blasting caribbean music. Do they post schedules of these busses? I prefer to get around that way as oppsed to spending a fortune on cabs when not necessary.

The busses just come along very frequently, there will probably be two together competeing for the custom, both are blue & yellow but in reverse, I can't remember which is which to be honest! The Non- Government ones had the music but I can't say I noticed last time we were there, the minivan privately owned ones have a ZR number plate they are "an experience".

Archived