RC Mariner vs. Carnival Splendor

I am 33 and this will be my second cruise (1st time on Carnival Valor), and I will be cruising with my friend who is 28, who will be a first timer. I'm trying to decide between the Mariner, or the Carnival Splendor, which are only $40 different from each other.

I like that RC seems to have more planned activities on board (from what I saw in the compass), and they have the rock wall and the ice skating rink. However, I was also plenty happy with Carnival when I went back in 2007 (although I had little to compare it to!), and the Splendor is still a new ship.

Any of you have experience with both cruise lines, or both ships and prefer one over the other? Reasons?

That is a no brainer my friend. Mariner of the Seas for sure. The Royal Promenade is awesome and the MOS is a great ship for a 1st timer. You've got the ice show and rink, the "Quest", promenade parades, great specialty restaurant options, rock climbing, mini golf etc. I love the Voyager class ships. You can't go wrong. Oh yeah, another bonus, if the price goes down for your cabin category on RC you will get credited the difference or OBC if your final payment has been made. Carnival does not refund money if the price goes down. If you book the Early Saver promotion code on Carnival, you can get OBC if the price goes down, but you have to put a non-refundable deposit down. Hope this helps.

Kimberly

In reality they are both very similar. My suggestion is try RCI before you get too comfortable with just one line and see what you like best. Then, next time you can make the decision based on your own experience.

We've sailed on both and will continue to sail on both, however at this point we are sticking with RCI because we have teens and they meet their needs the best. You can't go wrong either way.

Hi

Another Mariner of the Seas fan here. We have only been on a few cruises...we are new...but we were BORED silly on our Carnaval cruise....the earlier poster is right ...there is more to do on RCCL .... and while I can't say why....Mariner is our favorite ship so far...really a nice ship and well laid out. Don't miss CHOPS restaurant. If they have the same staff you will be well taken care of and fed well.

Plus I'm a bargain hunter....and I love the fact that they honor price drops.

Ken

After looking at both lines I decided to go on the Mariner because it does look a little more upscale and there are definitely more things to do on the ship. If it's only a $40 price difference that is definitely worth it. If this is a week long cruise and you put that into a daily perspective it's just under $6 a day! ;)

I am 33 and this will be my second cruise (1st time on Carnival Valor), and I will be cruising with my friend who is 28, who will be a first timer. I'm trying to decide between the Mariner, or the Carnival Splendor, which are only $40 different from each other.

I like that RC seems to have more planned activities on board (from what I saw in the compass), and they have the rock wall and the ice skating rink. However, I was also plenty happy with Carnival when I went back in 2007 (although I had little to compare it to!), and the Splendor is still a new ship.

Any of you have experience with both cruise lines, or both ships and prefer one over the other? Reasons?

Hiya,

Been on both ... Mariner hands down for quality and service.

Rich:)

We have been on 8 cruises, 7 with carnival but just booked #9 with Royal Caribbean on the the Mariner. I am excited to see the difference. I also noticed that with Mariner there is a longer stop in Cabo as opposed to the port time on the Carnival ships.

Archived