Ruby Princess - October 24th 2010 FLL

JerseyGuys

Hi Guys & thanks for the welcome. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Jack & Andy - My mom and sister live in Cherry Hill, we were out a few months ago to visit them.

jimmynterry - Are you flying from Dallas? We aren't able to fly in until that Sunday. I hate flying in the same day but sometimes it has to be that way.

Have a great night,

Kent

I think Chris and Derrick have done the ship tour, maybe they can confirm. My understanding is your hit Passenger Services the minute you get on Board. I've heard it's great, I think we might try for it this time. We're always up for a dinner at one of the specialty restaurants. A pub lunch might be fun on one of the sea days also. We probably will do tuxes.

Yes, we did the ultimate ship tour on the ruby. It was awesome! We saw all different parts of the ship. It's pricey at $150 a person but worth it. You get all sorts of swag. You should go to the pursers desk as soon as you get on the ship and get your name on the list. You will be notified later in the cruise if you have been selected.

We love Sabatinis but usually skip the the Crown. I am not a steak eater. I would say we need to sign up as soon as we get on but there just haven't been the crowds at the specialty restaurants like there used to be.

And we love the pub lunch on sea days!

We had the tux discussion a few days ago and we will be bringing ours.

I will have to see if our tuxes still fit. I am going to have to see if Jimmy still has his tux jacket (tux pants are in the closet). He lost of lot of clothes in Hurricane Ike.

I got Princess transfers from Miami to the port. Does anyone know if I will get luggage tags in the mail so that I do not have to pick up the luggage at the airport?

I am going to get this out of the way:

10 Weeks to Go!!!!

You need to go on the Princess website and under myprincess you can print your luggage tags.

You will still need to get your luggage and bring it to the bus. Princess does have some service where they take care of your bags from your house to the ship but it is not worth it.

I SO need this cruise. I need to be where work can't find me!!

Hi gang,

I guess it's been awhile since I chimed in here.

Hi Jimmy, Terry and Keith! I'm Derrick, Chris' husband.

I guess everyone has pretty much already answered all your questions, though I do have one additional thought: Princess partners with cruiseline formal wear for tux rentals. We've done that for years, partially to help lighten the luggage and (if I'm being honest) partially because our weight has been all over the map the last few years (it might have something to do with how much we cruise.) :o I think it's around $100 for a standard black tux and shoes, with 2 shirts (and cumberbund and tie.) They also offer a combo package that adds a white dinner jacket. It's really convenient; the steward brings it to your cabin on the first day and you just leave it there when you leave the ship. Just a thought in case that helps.

And, yes, we love Sabatini's, Pub Lunch and Princess Cays. As Jack said, it's not all that terribly special, but it's a nice relaxing day at the beach.

I also highly recommend the Ultimate Ship's Tour, and agree that the price is more than worth it -- just for the tour, not to mention all the stuff they give you afterward (I wear my plush Princess robe every day!) :D

Finally, I know some people are a little angst is the new luggage tag procedure, where you print your own instead of them sending the tyvek (or whatever they were) ones, but it's really not a big deal. If you print them on regular copy/printer paper, fold as they indicate and staple to your luggage handles they've plenty strong. Last time we also pseudo-laminated ours using clear packing tape, but I don't think that's necessary (our traveling companions did not and theirs were fine when they arrived at their cabin.) Just to be safe, we bought a little mini-stapler at that Walgreen near the entrance to the cruise port, but we found that all the porters had staplers for just this reason. So, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If you have any questions about that (or anything else) feel free to ask. As you can see below, this will be our 13th Princess cruise, and our 3rd on the Ruby, so we're pretty well-versed.

Well, that's it for me. I'll try to remember to check in here more often. Counting the days, myself.

Happy weekend, everyone!!!

Oh, and Andy, I don't think they'll let you bring your new toy on the ship. ;)

I too need this cruise..and will be in heaven when college football season starts.

I think we are going to have a good group. It is so good to know other folks when on a cruise. Makes it seem so much more personable, not just a number.

Does everyone eat late...I have not done an early seating in years. With Anytime Dining, usually go around 8 p.m.

I guess we will do St. John on our own, does not appear to be an excursion that does the beach/snorkel at Trunk Bay.

Hope everyone had a good weekend..hot as Hades in Houston this weekend.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great information. Really looking forward to meeting everyone!

After the recommendations we definately want to do the ship's tour, it sounds great.

We will bring our tuxes and are set for anytime dining. We have found that we really appreciate the flexibility of anytime.

Hope everyone has a great week!

So are we. Really looking forward to this. Can't wait to see you two again, Jack -- and to meeting the rest of you.

Oh, and apologies for my somewhat nonsensical post above. I just re-read it, and it looks like I must have accidentally deleted a few words or something at one spot (in addition to a couple of typos). It looks like I'm speaking gibberish! :p

We've sailed on the Ruby twice and have found the bedding to be just fine. Some fellow passengers found the beds on the Ruby to be a bit firm, but you can simply ask your room steward to add an "egg crate foam" topper that will help. We have done this on occasion, ourselves (I think it was on the Caribbean after her drydock when she had brand new beds), and there was a definite and noticeable improvement. Hope that helps.

Yeah, we're lovin' that it's football season (despite the fact that my Beavers stunk up the joint Saturday night) for this cruise. One of our favorite things is to sit at the MUTS pool and watch football all day. We're easy to please. ;-)

And we just got the word that another couple, whom we met with Jack and Andy (JerseyGuys) on last year's Halloween cruise are joining us, as well. Welcome Kevin and Craig! Hope you pop in here to say hi!

Looks like it'll be a fun crew!

Archived