Ruby Princess - October 24th 2010 FLL

JerseyGuys

Yes, we won 68-28...was 68 to 7 early in 3rd qtr, 3rd and 4th strings played remainder of the game. This week we play UTEP on ESPN at 9:15 p.m. CDT, Friday...game will probably end on Saturday morning.

So there are about 5 couples of family on here now? Sounds like it is going to be a great time. Where and when are we going to meet for first time?

So there are about 5 couples of family on here now? Sounds like it is going to be a great time. Where and when are we going to meet for first time?

We will be sitting in the "upper deck" of the MUTS pool on embarkation day watching football. It could best be described as the bleachers. If you walk around there you can't miss us. We will be getting on the ship as early as possible so we will have explored before game time.

There is going to be a meet and greet for the main roll call at four for sail away if you are interested.

But find us watching football. It's the easiest place to meet. And you don't even have to stay for any of the game. Come say hi.

Hi Guys,

Haven't posted in awhile and just wanted to check in and say Hi!

Just got back from a cruise on the Conquest out of Galveston, had a great time but really looking forward to sailing on the Ruby.

Hope that everyone is doing well and look forward to meeting everyone in 6 weeks.

Kent

I'm really sorry to hear about your Cougars (and their QBs), but happy to report my Beavers beat Louisville. :cool:

5 weeks can't pass quickly enough.

We always do anytime dining. LOVE it!! Plus, we're hoping a waiter we've become friends with over the years is back in the AT dining room this cruise, as she was working in the Crown Grill last time we were on the Ruby and we only got to dine with her once.

Did you have questions about it, or just taking a poll? ;-)

Hey guys,

Just got back from Dallas pride a littl e while ago and thought I would check in. Can't wait for the cruise to get here!

We are anytime dining as well, we have done it on the last few cruises and really enjoy not having a set time.

Hope that everyone has a great week and see you all soon!!!

Kent & Andy

I have been so far removed from the boards I feel like I'm not even going on the cruise........ I promise to read and catch up this weekend. At one point there was going to be a group thing on St. Martin that I had said I would like to join. Is that still going? If anyone knows how to get to St. John easily..... I have never been there before but have been to St. Thomas many, many times. I will be getting the Ruby ready for you all as I will be boarding on October 8th in Venice and will see you in Ft Lauderdale on the 24th. Paul

Paul, it is very easy to get to St. John. When we dock at St. Thomas we get off the ship, catch a taxi to Red Hook. At Red Hook we catch the ferry to St. John. Once we dock in St. John we get a "taxi" to take us to Trunk Bay or wherever. I never been anyplace on St. John but Trunk Bay, it is a beautiful drive to get there. At Trunk Bay there is a snack bar, you can rent snorkel gear, chairs etc. Also, good changing facilities. This is USA National Park. To return back to St. Thomas, I just always allow for some extra time in case something unexpected happens. The main thing is to get off the ship early to allow for lots of time at St. John.

St. Martin we are going to the "gay beach".

4 Weeks to Go!!!!!

Paul, I found this on the Ruby roll call.

Here's a good thread on getting to St John http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1196166, summarizing the important info:

if you are off the ship quickly after docking, you can make the 9:00 AM ferry and be on the beach on St. John by 9:45. You can take the 2:00 PM ferry and get back to Red Hook by 2:20. You should be able to be back to the ship by 3:00 PM, giving you an hour leeway. But some folks aren't comfortable with that. When we were on Eurodam last November, our captain actually left St. Thomas 20 minutes early leaving passengers stranded as we pulled away. It was very odd and very unusual but I'd rather have a little extra time than be late.

To get there, regardless of where you dock, hop in a taxi and head to the Red Hook Ferry dock. The ferry to Cruz Bay St. John leaves every hour on the hour. If you make the 9:00 AM ferry, you'll beat the crowds and have more time on the island. It's only about a 20 minute ferry ride. When you get off the ferry there are bunches of taxis waiting to take you to the beach or on an island tour or both. It's about $6 per person from the dock to Trunk Bay with a couple of wonderful scenic overlooks on the way (my avatar is taken from the Trunk Bay overlook). It is a spectacular island

Heading back, I'd recommend you take a ferry that leaves Cruz Bay no later than 3 hours prior to your ships departuer. If your ship leaves at 6:00, I'd take the 3:00 PM ferry back to Red Hook at the latest. That will get you back on St. Thomas by 3:20 with plenty of time for a cab ride back to your ship. There are always plenty of cabs at Red Hook waiting to take passengers back to ships, too.

It looks like costs are: taxi to Red Hook $10 pp, ferry $6 pp, then $6 pp taxi to beach plus return trip. Since we leave at 4 pm, we should take the 1 pm ferry, giving us three hours on the beach plus time to walk around the pier. It's kind of pricey to get there but it's one of my favorite beaches so I thought it was worth it.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am relieved that St. Martin is set, whew, 1 down. St John sounds like an easy trip so since I've never been, that's probably going to happen.

One thing I have not done is get a hotel for the night we arrive in Ft Lauderdale (Oct 31st) I could not get a flight home that day to save my life. My TA attributed it to being the last day of the boat show? Taking his word on that one. Any recommendations? I have to book it before I leave for Venice next Wednesday.

Thanks again to all,

Paul

Archived