Miami Airport Departure Tips?

thurgood

My family and I sail on Liberty of the Seas out of Miami April 4-11. I happened to be in Miami this week on business and flew out of Miami airport on an 8:00 a.m. flight this Sunday. I arrived at the airport at 6:25 a.m., and the airport was packed. There were very long lines for checking bags and for security. The security line may be unavoidable, but I wonder whether anyone has any tips for avoiding the long bag-check lines. (By bag-check lines, I mean the line to drop off bags, not the line to check in personally. We checked in on line and will do so again.) For instance, are there any services that can handle bag transportation and checking from the ship to the airport even if you did not book your air through the cruise line? Alternatively, are there any locations to check bags other than in the terminal? (We have such an area in Detroit.) Any tips for navigating the Miami airport on a busy Sunday would be most appreciated. We are flying Delta. Thanks

Curious if you just flew Delta out of MIA on this recent trip. The reason I ask is because we usually fly American into MIA, and because it's one of their hubs, particularly to South America, it's usually a nightmare. But in December we flew Delta, and it was a breeze at the airport. There were literally 4 people in the Delta line when we got there. The rest of our trip, not so much of a breeze, but that's another story! :eek:

There used to be a luggage valet program on Liberty, but I don't know enough about it to give you info. You might do a search.

Liberty is a great ship. Have a wonderful time!

Luggage valet program works very well. Check out complete details on RC website. Basically you pay $20 and when you put your bags out the night before (everything except your carryon) you don't see it again until you are home - we have used this twice with no problems. It's kind of scary - not having any bags to lug around, but sure is great - we were flying Delta so I know they participate. RC issues you boarding passes - when you get to the airport (you can choose your own way of getting to the airport - nothing to do with luggage valet program), you go straight to the TSA line with your hand luggage - you do not need to go to the airline counter. This has saved us a lot of time. You may have to wait in the security line, but not the check in line.

Luggage valet program works very well. Check out complete details on RC website. Basically you pay $20 and when you put your bags out the night before (everything except your carryon) you don't see it again until you are home - we have used this twice with no problems. It's kind of scary - not having any bags to lug around, but sure is great - we were flying Delta so I know they participate. RC issues you boarding passes - when you get to the airport (you can choose your own way of getting to the airport - nothing to do with luggage valet program), you go straight to the TSA line with your hand luggage - you do not need to go to the airline counter. This has saved us a lot of time. You may have to wait in the security line, but not the check in line.

Archived