Tampa Port/Hotel Questions

Hi Cruise Friends!

I'm looking for whatever information you can share with me on cruising out of Tampa. We are going to be on the Legend on June 13th. We are going to fly down on the 12th and want to stay near the port. Would love a view of the ships.

We'd like a hotel with a fun pool area...we'll be traveling with our 3 & 4 year old boys and meeting up with several other family members.

How far is the airport to the port area?

How's the VIP check-in for Carnival in Tampa?

Anything else we should know about getting there? Good restaraunts for dinner? Etc?

Thanks in advance for your help! I love CC! :D

We traveled the Legend in November with our then 3 (turned 4 in Janauary) We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Tampa. They offer a free shuttle to the hotel from the airport. The next day we took a taxi to the pier I think it took between 20-30 minutes. The only issue we had was the bathtub didn't drain, but otherwise nice hotel and reasonable price. Had an outdoor pool but didn't use as it was too chilly. We had a aft wrap suite on the Legend and LOVED it. Hubby and I had been on the Legend the year before and specifcally requested the same room for the Nov 09 cruise. Tampa is an excellent port and VIP check in was great with kids. We were on the ship by 1:00 and my grandson was having the first of many ice creams shortly thereafter. My grandson loved the Kids Camp and couldn't wait to go everyday. He also did the talent show and how cute was that... Definitely enroll them in, they give you a phone and no adult is allowed to go in the area or check in or out the child who is not specifically listed. The Legend is a great ship and the ports are great, as I said I've been on it twice back to back years. We are going on the Pride in July with my grandson and are getting the another aft wrap suite. We love the Spirit class ships because of the aft wrap room with a separate bedroom. I know you'll have a great as will your kids.

Hi, and welcome to Tampa! I think you'll love your experience in our fair city! I'd recommend a couple of different hotels in the area that offer pick up from the airport and drop off at the port. The closest one to the port that I'm aware of is the Hampton Inn Tampa/ Ybor City. I know for a fact that you can see the ships from there, and it seems to be nice. Another is the Holiday Inn Express, Rocky Point. That one is near the airport, and on the water. The airport is about 5 or 6 miles from the port by the way.

VIP check in at the Port of Tampa is excellent. Just tell 'em as you enter the terminal, and they'll point you in the right direction.

It depends on where you wind up staying as to what restaurant I'd suggest. There are many in the Tampa area, and the hotel might be your best bet for a suggestion.

Have a GREAT time aboard "Legend". She's one of our favorite ships as well. We always have a wonderful time aboard her.

"SKY"

We stay at the Hampton Inn in Ybor city great night life as it is a party town and has a street car system that stops right there. about a mile from the terminal and they have park and stay option which in most cases works out alot cheaper than parking alone:)

Jeff and Barb,

I would suggest going to Priceline and search for a 3 or more star hotel. You can check out the hotels by area (nearest the docks) and what they have to offer. You can take that price or bid on one and you will get one of them within that area and star rating. We are going on the Legend on 3/21 and got the Sheraton for under $60. Not sure what it has but we are won't have any kids but it is a 3 1/2 star hotel. It also offers a free shuttle to the ship.

Take a cab from airport to hotel - cab fare is cheaper than Carnival transportation.

VIP check in is wonderful - Tampa's port seems to be very efficient.

Good restaurants: Columbia in Ybor City - Collonade on Bayshore Blvd - you'll need a cab for Collonade. Seafood at Collonade is wonderful - it's a family owned restaurant that has been there since time began.

Be up on the top deck shortly after sail away - the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is something you'll want to see (regardless of when dinner is). Pay attention to the shore side as you pull out of Tampa - million dollar homes on Bayshore Blvd are pretty interesting. You'll see a airport runway shortly after you leave - that's MacDill AFB.

You'll have fun - I'm envious - might just have to book that cruise myself in September. I grew up in Tampa - fond memories.

I am sailing on March 21st. Several of us on our roll call will be staying at the Sheraton Riverwalk which is very close to the pier. I booked mine on hotwire and got it for 59 a night for a 3 1/2 star hotel. Pretty good. I have heard nothing but good reviews about this hotel. I will let you know when we get back.

Linda

Archived