2nd request, any ideas for San Juan with 8 & 11 year old

kelbre

Hello! Still haven't heard from anyone and would like some suggestions for those that have been to San Juan before. We are going in April and would like some suggestions as to what to do for maybe a half day with an 8 and 11 year old. Don't know if we want to take a taxi tour or stay with Carnival for any excursions. Any help would be great, please!

Hello! Still haven't heard from anyone and would like some suggestions for those that have been to San Juan before. We are going in April and would like some suggestions as to what to do for maybe a half day with an 8 and 11 year old. Don't know if we want to take a taxi tour or stay with Carnival for any excursions. Any help would be great, please!

I'm sure the highlight for your kids would be visiting either or both of the fortresses (El Morro or San Cristobal). If you're arriving at the pier in Old San Juan, both are within walking distance. Both are interesting for adults or kids, and very inexpensive.

There's also a free tourist trolley that makes a circuit of Old San Juan. You just hop on and hop off at each of the clearly marked stops. Trolley maps are available from the tourism kiosk near the pier. It's a great way to get oriented to Old San Juan.

Self guided walking tours are easy to find online, as well. Unless you really want to do a Segway tour or something like that, there's no need to do any kind of organized excursion in San Juan.

I just posted in another thread, and included some photos...you may want to check it out at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1155156

There are also loads of photos from San Juan in both my Caribbean Princess and Crown Princess links below.

We just returned from San Juan on Monday. We did a half day tour with a private tour company http://www.countrysidetourspr.com we drove by the forts but maybe you would want to do some walking to really get a good sense of their size and see the views. Our tour guild knew all about the construction and dates and purposes of these forts. It was a good history lesson in the developement of PR. There are beaches the kids may enjoy. And of course the rainforest.

Old San Juan is okay but I don't know how excited the kids would be with that. There is also the rum factory to see the operation, we stopped had rum and didn't take the tour.

Hope this helps.

What do the kids like to do? I will assume you will be here on a Thursday from 7am-3:30p?

In OSJ, you have the forts, some cool museums, Pigeon Park, kite flying, playing in fountains, ice cream and other odd things to try to eat and drink.

For excursions, there is horseback riding, ATV rides, go carts, boat trips, El Yunque, Science parks, zip lines, biking or kayaking at Pinones, jet skis...

There is so much one can do, but you know your kids and what they might like.

a couple of things that could be fun for kids,

1, the world famous Parque de Las Palomas (pigeons park), you buy food right there for the pigeons and feed them. it can be a lot of fun.

73926346.j6Px2Nfy.jpg

2. kite flying next to EL Morro

1399218655_31f4b6b324.jpg?v=0

Thanks so much for all of your ideas!!! Now I can show the hubby and kids and see what they think. I know we have some time before we go, but our March is going to fly by with work for both of us and the remains of the hockey season. Thanks again everyone!

I have a 10 & 12 yr old. We're leaving in about a week on the Carnival - stopping in San Juan. we plan to do OSJ, the free trolley, El Morro, etc. I'll try to post when I get back as to what the kids thought.

I have a 10 & 12 yr old. We're leaving in about a week on the Carnival - stopping in San Juan. we plan to do OSJ, the free trolley, El Morro, etc. I'll try to post when I get back as to what the kids thought.

The kids might enjoy the large fountain right by the entrance of El Morro as well. Plenty of children were splashing in the water the day we were there. The water splashes up out of the ground by what looks like a giant totem pole type sculpture.

DSC01223.jpg

Archived