Stranded in FLL

zurmoly

Guest Host Tink
FLL airport is loaded with people that came of ships this am and their flights home are cancelled. Bummmmmer...

Oh No! PHL airport is closed for the first time since the Blizzard of 1996, it is nasty outside. I wish I was on a cruise right now...LOL

I wish I was there rather than home looking out the window at the miserable snow!!

In 2003 we were stranded in Las Vegas due to a storm on the east coast. We were scheduled to leave Sunday morning and found our flight was cancelled and we were rescheduled for the following Tuesday. On Monday we realized Tuesday would still be iffy. We called America West and asked when we could be sure to get a seat later in the week. When the agent told me Friday I said great and rebooked. We went to the airport to rent another car, walked out into the sunshine and pretented we were just starting our vacation. It sure beat being home in the snow. We were lucky when we called work to tell of our dilema. Apparently everyone was laughing knowing this was a dream come true for us being able to extend our stay in our favorite vacation spot.

Oh No! PHL airport is closed for the first time since the Blizzard of 1996, it is nasty outside. I wish I was on a cruise right now...LOL

No, they closed PHL for a while ... I think it was December 2003. I was on my way home from a vacation in Orlando and was told at the Orlando Airport that my flight was cancelled because of a snowstorm in Philly.

They then offered me a discounted room at a local airport hotel.

I think these steeply discounted rooms are made available to people whose flights are cancelled due to weather emergencies ... the airlines aren't going to give you free rooms in that case, but will give you discounted ones.

Man, I'm sure glad I got off the Sun last Tuesday. I'd hate to be trying to get home now. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Better stuck in FLL on the way home than the other way around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm also sitting in the house looking out at the blizzard)

You know ... if these people are stuck at the airport trying to come home, there are probably lots of others stuck at other airports trying to get down to Ft. Lauderdale. Many cruise ships turn around on Saturdays.

That was my fear with my recent Sun cruise. I normally fly to the embarkation point early on the morning of the cruise, but never thought about this being winter when I made the flight reservations for this one. I had this horrible vision of a major snowstorm making it impossible for me to get a flight to Ft. Lauderdale and figured that if the weather got bad a couple of days before the cruise, I would have to eat the cost of trying to change my tickets.

I got lucky this time. I think in the future I'd better keep the time of the year in mind and allow an extra day or two if there is the chance of bad weather.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived