Leixoes (Porto) Portugal Questions

Has anyone ever docked at the port of Leixoes (Porto), Portugal? HAL has this port on their 2011 transatlantic and I am looking for any information on Porto. It seems like there is lots to see in Porto and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for narrowing the choices. I know there is a HOHO bus. I think we want to see more of the city instead of doing wine tasting as we have more stops in France for wine tasting. I have a good web site for Porto but just would like any information from anyone who has visited. How far is the port from Porto? Thanks for any help.

We started our river cruise in Porto, so docked right in town on river, not sure where HAL would ,sorry...but, its a great city to walk in and visit churchs,shops,restaurants, esp those cafes on riverwalk area...good food and scenic...didnt take HOHO bus, just walked on our own,very compact old town area...but if your ship is farther away maybe that would help get you around,then decide what to stop and see...they have an elevator in town to get you down to bridge over river, and to riverside area that is cheap and convenient,just ask locals for location,looks live a large glass bus stop, easy to miss,but great time saver...its big enough for a day, or 2 ,so enjoy,very scenic and walking friendly....hope that helps...;)

We started our river cruise in Porto, so docked right in town on river, not sure where HAL would ,sorry...but, its a great city to walk in and visit churchs,shops,restaurants, esp those cafes on riverwalk area...good food and scenic...didnt take HOHO bus, just walked on our own,very compact old town area...but if your ship is farther away maybe that would help get you around,then decide what to stop and see...they have an elevator in town to get you down to bridge over river, and to riverside area that is cheap and convenient,just ask locals for location,looks live a large glass bus stop, easy to miss,but great time saver...its big enough for a day, or 2 ,so enjoy,very scenic and walking friendly....hope that helps...;)

Thanks alexandra cruiser for the information. Another question for anyone--Has anyone visited the Solar do Vinho do Porto, the port wine tasting facility? Or any of the port wine lodges in Vila Nova de Gaia?

Thanks!

As I was scanning Thread, see its been posted in wrong area, try under Spain,maybe that ll get more responses,,also perhaps under HAL site too.

But, to answer about wine tasting,,,some on our ship did one,sorry forgot which, while in Porto and raved about it.....but we preferred to wait for another later in cruise,,,plus, not a Port wine drinker, so how to assess it...if you re going to France too, would probably wait for one there, but like French wines more...how bad can it be to have such great choices,right?:D

Archived