Freestyle Cruising and Formal Dress Ups?

I will be sailing on the Epic August 14, 2010 in a Spa Suite (just couldn't pass up the hot tub in my cabin). But anyways, I have already purchased two formal gowns for my trip. However, I noticed that all of the restaurants are listed as "casual attire". I really like to get dressed up for the photos. So, I am wondering if there will be others dressing for dinner or should I return my dresses for a refund due to the fact that I would look like a complete idiot if I wear them? :confused:

Please help.

Rita

I will be sailing on the Epic August 14, 2010 in a Spa Suite (just couldn't pass up the hot tub in my cabin). But anyways, I have already purchased two formal gowns for my trip. However, I noticed that all of the restaurants are listed as "casual attire". I really like to get dressed up for the photos. So, I am wondering if there will be others dressing for dinner or should I return my dresses for a refund due to the fact that I would look like a complete idiot if I wear them? :confused:

Please help.

Rita

Our recent cruise there were a lot of folks dressed up a lot for dinner BUT that can be a hit or miss depending on the folks boarding what they do.

Please help.

Rita

I've seen women in gowns on all of my cruises, the number of tuxs on men are way down to almost gone forever.

Margaret :)

I dont know why anyone would have a second thought b/c you were dressed up.

Why would you care what a bunch of complete strangers think anyway.

Woud you rather drive an old beat up car instead of a top of the line car, just b/c someone might have a "thought" about you?

I dont know why anyone would have a second thought b/c you were dressed up.

Why would you care what a bunch of complete strangers think anyway.

Woud you rather drive an old beat up car instead of a top of the line car, just b/c someone might have a "thought" about you?

Why not just read and ignore. The OP had a question and didn't need your sarcasm.

These boards are getting worse. No wonder some people don't want to ask questions.

To the one who offered their sarcasm: I want to inform you that yes I do care what others think of me to a degree. I certainly would not want anyone to point and laugh at me. Maybe that is an exaggeration, but believe it or not, people do form an opinion of you based on your appearance! Whether good or bad.

Why not just read and ignore. The OP had a question and didn't need your sarcasm.

These boards are getting worse. No wonder some people don't want to ask questions.

i dont think ok is being sarcastic just giving the same honest advice i would give that if the lady wants to enjoy her cruise by dressing up for dinner then go for it i certainly am on my cruise in september and i dont care if everyone else is wearing a potato sack im dressing up for me and my enjoyment

To the one who offered their sarcasm: I want to inform you that yes I do care what others think of me to a degree. I certainly would not want anyone to point and laugh at me.

No one will "point and laugh at you." If dressing up will please you, go for it.

Some woman will be dressed up. There will be a few men in suits, and very few in tuxes.

I can very easily say "I don't care what others think about what I am wearing", but at the same time, "I do dress such in what is reasonable and do care a bit what others think".

For those that say they do not care, I doubt you wear your jammies and sweats out to dinner, and those old beat up slippers that you wear around the house at night, right? Why is it you put on nicer clothes?

Oh boy, we are gonna need some popcorn now!

Some woman will be dressed up. There will be a few men in suits, and very few in tuxes.

I can very easily say "I don't care what others think about what I am wearing", but at the same time, "I do dress such in what is reasonable and do care a bit what others think".

For those that say they do not care, I doubt you wear your jammies and sweats out to dinner, and those old beat up slippers that you wear around the house at night, right? Why is it you put on nicer clothes?

Oh boy, we are gonna need some popcorn now!

i put on nicer clothes to make me feel good i learnt many years ago i am much happier pleaseing me [as long as i dont hurt anyone else] than being miserable living my life trying to please everybody else. ill get off my soap box now happy cruising to all.

We were on the Jewel last week, and I saw lots pf people dressed up every night. My husband owns a tux and wears it on optional dress up nights. I wear a cocktail dress. We dress up for dinner every night because we like to. You will see everything from dockers/polo shirts to tuxes on men, and from slacks and blouse to evening gowns on the ladies. I don't think many people care what other people wear.

The BEST thing I saw people wearing on the Jewel was their military uniforms- even saw some retired British Naval officers on this cruise!

You go ahead and look fabulous!

Barb

Personally, I love NCL in that I am not forced to get dressed up in formals. I hate other cruise lines that expect you to spend money on excursions all day only to board the ship and spend hours getting gussied up just to sit in the MDR. If I'm tired and/or (slighty) inebriated and hungry for a good sit-down dinner, I have to go to the buffet?!?

That said, I cannot fathom anyone laughing or making fun of another person who chooses to dress for dinner. I say "Go for it!" Just don't point fingers at me in my jeans and top, please : )

They asked a question and I gave an answer. I think you have your words mixed up, i did not use sarcasm I used a simile.

These boards are getting worse, some people seem to need more hugs than others. I dont know why you think I was attacking the OP, you might just need to up your blood pressure meds.

i put on nicer clothes to make me feel good i learnt many years ago i am much happier pleaseing me [as long as i dont hurt anyone else] than being miserable living my life trying to please everybody else. ill get off my soap box now happy cruising to all.

Exactly. I think some people need to think outside the soap box... get it... soap box.. outside the box... oh crap, never mind, I will just go wear my dress shorts and hand out mints for nickels and dimes.

Personally, I love NCL in that I am not forced to get dressed up in formals. I hate other cruise lines that expect you to spend money on excursions all day only to board the ship and spend hours getting gussied up just to sit in the MDR.

Since Play Dress-Up days on most lines are usually sea days, those excursions must be rough ones.:D

Archived