MIAMI (DNTN or SB) Feb. 5th, any ideas??

Ravens Fan

I just won a room at the Wyndham on Miami Beach today for $79. One thing to keep in mind about this hotel I've found on review....there's $11 resort fee I'll be charged when I get there.

I started out trying downtown for $45 3* and upped it to $50 and $55...I then bid $79 for a 3* on Miami Beach and won this immediately. Wished I had started lower!!! But this truly is a $213 room, so I think I'll be just fine! Outstanding views and beach there even though I'll just be overnight, it sure will be nice to start the vacation already in paradise!

Now off to find good rental van prices.....

I tried the $99.00 on priceline and expanded to the downtown area, as well as South Beach. I still got turned down. I'm feeling like an "Atlanta Falcon" right now. But, hey, the sun will rise tomorrow, and even if I sleep in the airport terminal, I'll still be in Miami in 2 weeks.

Current Baltimore temperature: 13 degrees.

try 4 * in Coral Gables....we stayed there precruise a couple years ago. Most often either the Hyatt or Omni come up. This is an awesome area....not walking distance to the beaches but very safe, beautiful and loaded with great restaurants and nightlife!!!

Thanks for the advice Doris. I expanded to Coral Gables and still got turned down. I do have a question for anybody familiar with Priceline - Now, that I'm exhausted on areas I want to stay ( I chose four - South Beach, Downtown, Miami Beach and Coral Gables), do I have to wait 72 hours before bidding again? I would like to up my offer in increments, but the priceline website asserts that I have to "make changes" to my accomodations. Any help out there??

First of all a lot of hotels do not allow a Saturday checkin.....during high season they want you there for the whole weekend not just Sat night. The second issue I see is that rates are very high for that particular night. Some hotels are already sold out and other are asking well over $200 for the night. At this point I think your odds for success will improve the closer you get to your sail date. IF the hotels have any rooms available they will free them to PL within a week or so prior to your date. HOWEVER I strongly advise that you book a conventional reservation that you can cancel if you win a room on PL. You do not want to have to spend the night sleeping at the airport!!

If you really want to lock up a bid I would start in three days for a three star downtown at $100 and go up from there.

I though I would look at hotwire.com and see what came up....you can get a 3.5 star in downtown for $115 for the night. Based on the icons I believe it is the Sheraton and that would make sense b/c the Sheraton still has rooms available. If it isn't the Sheraton other 3.5's on hotwire include the Doubletree and the Radisson. In any case I think at this point it might be the best deal you get. Hope this is helpful. :)

Thanks for the advice Doris. I expanded to Coral Gables and still got turned down. I do have a question for anybody familiar with Priceline - Now, that I'm exhausted on areas I want to stay ( I chose four - South Beach, Downtown, Miami Beach and Coral Gables), do I have to wait 72 hours before bidding again? I would like to up my offer in increments, but the priceline website asserts that I have to "make changes" to my accomodations. Any help out there??

You have to add a zone that has NO 3/4 star ratings and then you get a free rebid. Bidding for travel explains how to do this.

When using Priceline I always start about 2 months in advance of when I need the hotel room. That way I can keep doing the bidding every 72 hours if I don't succeed.

Sometimes it has taken me 6 or 8 trys before my bid has been accepted.

After reading of the prices of the hotels in the area or areas of a certain city I am going to I decide what amount I am not going to bid above for a hotel within the star range I want.

This time I wanted the downtown area but would take Miami Beach area as a second choice. After 5 times of bidding each time with a wait of 72 hours in between this is the way I finally bid and was accepted. I started at $48 Downtown, then $55 Miami Beach, bid $62 for Southwest which has only 2 star hotels so I knew my bid for a 3 star wouldn't get any hotels there and up popped an acceptance of my $62 for Sheraton Biscayne Bay which I am very pleased with. My idea was not to bid over $65 for any hotel but to keep trying every 72 hours until 2 weeks before our cruise date. I KNEW I would be accepted if I persevered because I have gotten other hotels through Priceline by working this plan and I have NEVER been disappointed in a hotel I have received.

If you go to Biddingforfun you will get some real good advice there on how to bid but you must read carefully all of the good hints etc. You can always ask for help from Sheryl the moderator.

Good luck

Thanks to everyone on the advice and experience. I will "persevere" and it will work out. I'm going to try a bit of advice from everyone and I will keep you posted. You know, if I was friends with "Trump", I would'nt have to worry about this....

Archived