MasterChief

omakim

It is the last thing a follower of correct dress would do.

One does not wear morning dress in the evening. There is a clue in the name....

Morning dress is for daytime true, usually at weddings. Or when one picks up an OBE (assuming one is male!)

However, at Royal Ascot men must be in morning dress and ladies must wear a hat. At least if you are in the Queens enclosure.

I really don't know but I assume the Ascot ball is intended to recreate Royal Ascot. I thought that is why women make the hats. Women don't usually wear hats in the evening. If it is just Ascot in general then jeans would suit.

Here is aceptable dress at Royal Ascot:

Click Here to view Dress Code images

Her Majesty’s Representative wishes to point out that only formal day dress with a hat or substantial fascinator will be acceptable. Off the shoulder, halter neck, spaghetti straps and dresses with a strap of less than one inch and miniskirts are considered unsuitable. Midriffs must be covered and trouser suits must be full length and of matching material and colour.

Gentlemen are required to wear either black or grey morning dress, including a waistcoat, with a top hat.A gentleman may remove his top hat within a restaurant, a private box, a private club or that facility’s terrace, balcony or garden. Hats may also be removed within any enclosed external seating area within the Royal Enclosure Garden.

Children between the ages of 10-16 years inclusive are welcome to attend the Royal Enclosure on the Friday and Saturday of the Royal Meeting, providing they are accompanied by a Royal Enclosure badge-holder. Children’s badges are free of charge and can be collected on the Friday and Saturday of the Royal Meeting from the Royal Enclosure enquiry offices. It is not necessary to submit a child’s name prior to the Royal Meeting. Girls must wear a modest dress or skirt, boys a suit or jacket and smart trousers with a tie. Jeans and trainers are not permissible.

Children under the age of 10 are not permitted in the Royal Enclosure.

Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal national dress of their country or Service dress.

Ladies and Gentlemen not complying with the above dress regulations will be asked to leave the Royal Enclosure and relieved of their Royal Enclosure badge.

For any further queries please contact the:

Royal Enclosure Office

Ascot Racecourse

Ascot SL5 7JX

Her Majesty’s Representative wishes to point out that only formal day dress with a hat or substantial fascinator will be acceptable. Off the shoulder, halter neck, spaghetti straps and dresses with a strap of less than one inch and miniskirts are considered unsuitable. Midriffs must be covered and trouser suits must be full length and of matching material and colour.

Gentlemen are required to wear either black or grey morning dress, including a waistcoat, with a top hat.A gentleman may remove his top hat within a restaurant, a private box, a private club or that facility’s terrace, balcony or garden. Hats may also be removed within any enclosed external seating area within the Royal Enclosure Garden.

Children between the ages of 10-16 years inclusive are welcome to attend the Royal Enclosure on the Friday and Saturday of the Royal Meeting, providing they are accompanied by a Royal Enclosure badge-holder. Children’s badges are free of charge and can be collected on the Friday and Saturday of the Royal Meeting from the Royal Enclosure enquiry offices. It is not necessary to submit a child’s name prior to the Royal Meeting. Girls must wear a modest dress or skirt, boys a suit or jacket and smart trousers with a tie. Jeans and trainers are not permissible.

Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal national dress of their country or Service dress.

Ladies and Gentlemen not complying with the above dress regulations will be asked to leave the Royal Enclosure and relieved of their Royal Enclosure badge.

Royal Enclosure Office

Ascot Racecourse

Ascot SL5 7JX

Telephone: 0870 727 5678 0870 727 5678

Fax: 0870 460 1235

Email: royal.enclosure@ascot.co.uk

Official Ascot Partners

aib.gifsonylogo.gifcisco.gif

They don't say it, but I am sure polyester is banned!

I am not for one minute expecting or wanting anyone to dress like this, my point was that maybe those who belive they know what is so called correct should really get off their high horse because if they really want to take it to the extreme they too are "incorrect".

Morning dress is for daytime true, usually at weddings. Or when one picks up an OBE (assuming one is male!)

However, at Royal Ascot men must be in morning dress and ladies must wear a hat. At least if you are in the Queens enclosure.

I really don't know but I assume the Ascot ball is intended to recreate Royal Ascot. I thought that is why women make the hats. Women don't usually wear hats in the evening. If it is just Ascot in general then jeans would suit.

Here is aceptable dress at Royal Ascot:

Click Here to view Dress Code images

Royal Enclosure Office

Ascot Racecourse

Ascot SL5 7JX

They don't say it, but I am sure polyester is banned!

I am not for one minute expecting or wanting anyone to dress like this, my point was that maybe those who belive they know what is so called correct should really get off their high horse because if they really want to take it to the extreme they too are "incorrect".

Pay attention guys, this is good stuff.

Gari

Pity the poor poster who asked a simple question and got a barage of "correctness". Just a thought is the Scotsman who wears his clan kilt on formal nights "not correct" because he does not wear a black tie ? Since the Cunard ships are truly global, would it also be wrong for an Indian gentleman to wear his formal wear per his culture and not have a bow tie ?

Another post hijacked by the usual suspects... :rolleyes: Enjoy your cruise wearing whichever colours you decide upon. :D Ignore the fashionistas, Miss Manners, the Royal Ascot Partners and the aforementioned suspects and have fun. Welcome to Cunard cruising omakim. Pity you got both barrels on your first post.

I agree with you. I was just wondering if Cunard would toss me overboard if I showed up in a rig other than BLACK. I'm taking the black, burgundy, and gray ties, with matching cummerbunds, simply because I want to. At age 76 I don't care if I impress anybody or not.

The point that all you "free Spirits" are missing is that it's fun to dress up on occasion and to pretend to be an adult. And, as mentioned before, the point of gentlemen's formal wear not being colorful is to not distract attention from all the lovely ladies.

Just a thought is the Scotsman who wears his clan kilt on formal nights "not correct" because he does not wear a black tie ?

But he would wear a black tie......... If he was being correct about it.

Kilts are fine - on the Scottish (or Irish, of course) but not on those who once ate shortbread.

Just a thought is the Scotsman who wears his clan kilt on formal nights "not correct" because he does not wear a black tie??

And he wouldn't wear a black tie, why exactly?

We don't all dress like Mel Gibson in Braveheart you know. Personally, I have never yet painted my face for a formal night.

J

PS - what's a "clan kilt"? Can't say I've ever come across one of those.

Ah, truly a classic piece of Gounist philosophical discourse there. Bring it on Big G - we want more :D

J

PS - is it just me, or does MasterChief look a little non-sequiturish?

This was my first posting, and my first question, and I am a retired Navy master chief. I really appreciate all the different answers I'm getting. It's been a long time since I tied a bow tie.

This was my first posting, and my first question, and I am a retired Navy master chief. I really appreciate all the different answers I'm getting. It's been a long time since I tied a bow tie.

Respect Omakim - I'm a retired Army Warrant Officer.

I only wondered about MasterChief appearing in the subject line - no worries.

And Hell will freeze over before I tie my first bow tie :D

J

You all might not dress like Mel Gibson in "Braveheart" but there are times on these posts that you sure do act like it. My mistake I am only an American woman that has been traveling on Cunard since I was a young girl. As I see it a "clan kilt" would mean that the scotsman was wearing the kilt of his clan and sorry I had forgotten that they do wear black ties. Quite frankly I am usually admiring how nice the gentleman looks to notice the tie. And at 76 years of age if you can not wear what you want then when can you. If the man wears a tie and cumberbund of any color at least he will look better than the idiot that comes to dinner on elegant casual in cargo shorts and sandals.

I would love to know who "Miss Manners" is and who put her in charge. I wonder if she is a stylist for Vogue? Vogue USA judging by her spelling.

Fashion is constantly changing and as long as people stick to the spirit of the dress code rather than the letter of it I cannot understand why people give a jot.

If nothing ever changed we would still be wearing uncomfortable extravagant clothing that the Elizabethans insisted was correct with huge white ruffles around our necks.

Until the 1880s only white tie and tailcoat was correct. It was not until someone dared to be different that the current dinner jacket and black tie was adopted.

In the 70's men often had huge lapels and frills everywhere.

Young men these days often opt for a long black tie with their DJ.

And so what?

I do wonder if the followers of "correct" dress have their men wearing full morning dress to the Ascot Ball?

Thank heavens the likes of Marlene Dietrich and Katharine Hepburn started wearing trousers when it was thought of as "not correct" for women.

Miss Manners is Judith Martin

You all might not dress like Mel Gibson in "Braveheart" but there are times on these posts that you sure do act like it.

Actually, maam, I don't believe that "I" do act like it, although I will concede that there are others who fit your description

My mistake I am only an American woman that has been traveling on Cunard since I was a young girl. As I see it a "clan kilt" would mean that the scotsman was wearing the kilt of his clan and sorry I had forgotten that they do wear black ties.

A kilt is a kilt is a kilt. It is the tartan that relates to the clan - although, in truth, most tartans are modern inventions dating back no farther than the Victorian era and, as far as clans are concerned, are almost entirely fictitious. Please also bear in mind that the majority of Scotsmen originate, not from Highland Scotland, but from the Lowlands and never belonged to a "clan" in the first place.

Quite frankly I am usually admiring how nice the gentleman looks to notice the tie. And at 76 years of age if you can not wear what you want then when can you.

I don't think anyone, anywhere, at any time would even attempt to deny you that right. Please bear in mind that this board is a strange little corner of cyber-space populated by a tiny, very vocal, highly opinionated, and generally anally-retentive minority of the overall population of Cunard passengers. The interweb tends to attract people like that. Feel free to ignore what you don't like or just hurl your own opinions right back at them - whatever. It's quite fun when you get into the swing of it.

If the man wears a tie and cumberbund of any color at least he will look better than the idiot that comes to dinner on elegant casual in cargo shorts and sandals.

Amen to that.

J

Exactly how many shades of black is there?

shades - subject

of black - prepositional phrase

are - verb (had to agree with subject)

How many shades of black are there? There is one.

How many shades of blue are there? There are many.

shades - subject

of black - prepositional phrase

are - verb (had to agree with subject)

How many shades of black are there? There is one.

How many shades of blue are there? There are many.

Good 'ere, innit?

J

It is the last thing a follower of correct dress would do.

One does not wear morning dress in the evening. There is a clue in the name....

Morrisons, how unutterably common! I trust you will change your boardname to something a leetle bit more "Cunard" before attending your next Ascot Ball. :eek:

J

You all might not dress like Mel Gibson in "Braveheart" but there are times on these posts that you sure do act like it. My mistake I am only an American woman that has been traveling on Cunard since I was a young girl. As I see it a "clan kilt" would mean that the scotsman was wearing the kilt of his clan and sorry I had forgotten that they do wear black ties. Quite frankly I am usually admiring how nice the gentleman looks to notice the tie. And at 76 years of age if you can not wear what you want then when can you. If the man wears a tie and cumberbund of any color at least he will look better than the idiot that comes to dinner on elegant casual in cargo shorts and sandals.

Do we not have a little dichotomy here? If the man at 76 can wear what he wants when he wants then by the same criterion, the idiot can wear what he wants when he wants. Or is the privilege of wearing what one wants reserved only for those over 75? Forgive me if I am mistaken but I thought the whole idea of a dress code was to ensure that people came attired in a particular manner otherwise there is no point in having a dress code.

In respect of kilts who was it said, 'they are the sovereign garment for fornication and diarhoea' ?

Gari

'they are the sovereign garment for fornication and diarhoea' ?

Gari

John Master's used that phrase (or it's close equivalent) in his autiobiography "Bugles and a Tiger" but he attributed it to one of his Sandhurst instructors, IIRC, who had said to him words to the effect of "Join a Highland Regiment my boy, the kilt is the best garment in the world for fornication and diarrhoea!"

J

Archived