MasterChief

omakim

shades - subject

of black - prepositional phrase

are - verb (had to agree with subject)

How many shades of black are there? There is one.

How many shades of blue are there? There are many.

The color black is made up of all colors, so therefore, depending on how your particular black is proportioned with those colors, that black will come out quite differently.

So, I must disagree and say-- there are many many shades of black.

And by the way, have you ever tried to match two blacks? Damn near impossible!

The color black is made up of all colors, so therefore, depending on how your particular black is proportioned with those colors, that black will come out quite differently.

shade specifically refers to the addition of black to a hue. using the most strict definition there are no shades of black, but equally true, there is no black and there are no shades of any color outside of the realms of theory.

We are certainly getting away from the question asked by the OP but I think it is interesting that not only can we disagree on what is "acceptable" wear, we can also disagree on the definition of "color" and "black"! To further confuse the issue check this link http://www.colormatters.com/vis_bk_white.html

:)

shade specifically refers to the addition of black to a hue. using the most strict definition there are no shades of black, but equally true, there is no black and there are no shades of any color outside of the realms of theory.

I agree, if you are an artist you may use black and a host of other colors to darken most any color.

Now when we are discussing the color of formal clothing for men and the shade or hue or tint or whatever else you would like to call the appearance of men's attire (specifically the bowtie) why on earth, would I be talking about what is inside or outside the realm of theory. With that thought process what would the manufacturer of the silk of the bow ties do when he dyed them? Well, of course, he would look at his little color chart of all the non colors that are outside of the realms of theory and mix them altogether, but who would care--there is no black anyway! It is a figment of our imaginations. So gentlemen, do not wear your cute little black bow ties--self tied or otherwise for if you do, it isn't as proper as you might think--because it is outside the realms of theory-- and not black anyway!

shades - subject

of black - prepositional phrase

are - verb (had to agree with subject)

How many shades of black are there? There is one.

How many shades of blue are there? There are many.

Please review the Community Guidelines about Spelling and Grammar Errors. They ask members not to correct the spelling and grammar of others.

I agree, if you are an artist you may use black and a host of other colors to darken most any color.

Now when we are discussing the color of formal clothing for men and the shade or hue or tint or whatever else you would like to call the appearance of men's attire (specifically the bowtie) why on earth, would I be talking about what is inside or outside the realm of theory. With that thought process what would the manufacturer of the silk of the bow ties do when he dyed them? Well, of course, he would look at his little color chart of all the non colors that are outside of the realms of theory and mix them altogether, but who would care--there is no black anyway! It is a figment of our imaginations. So gentlemen, do not wear your cute little black bow ties--self tied or otherwise for if you do, it isn't as proper as you might think--because it is outside the realms of theory-- and not black anyway!

you were being pedantic - it seems to be what passes for entertainment here. i simply took the topic to its logical conclusion to show the absurdity of your nitpicking, but i see by your response you dwell in the realm of the absurd.

tl;dr there are no shades of black.

you were being pedantic - it seems to be what passes for entertainment here. i simply took the topic to its logical conclusion to show the absurdity of your nitpicking, but i see by your response you dwell in the realm of the absurd.

tl;dr there are no shades of black.

Thank you, I have never dwelled there before. Sounds like fun~:)

Do we not have a little dichotomy here? If the man at 76 can wear what he wants when he wants then by the same criterion, the idiot can wear what he wants when he wants. Or is the privilege of wearing what one wants reserved only for those over 75? Forgive me if I am mistaken but I thought the whole idea of a dress code was to ensure that people came attired in a particular manner otherwise there is no point in having a dress code.

In respect of kilts who was it said, 'they are the sovereign garment for fornication and diarhoea' ?

Gari

For my first thread on my first day on this forum I asked what I thought was a simple question: "For black tie events, are gray or burgandy ties and cummerbunds also allowed?" Rather than a simple yes or no - with associated comment from experienced travelers - all I've seen so far are opinions, some of which border on the defamation of a free person's character, not to mention arguments concerning whether black is really black or not. Great Scott!

Of course being 76 doesn't give me any more rights than the next guy, but I do know when I was younger I did try to impress everybody. Those days are long gone. For me, anyway.

You've answered my question: It is yes. Will I wear burgandy and gray, in addition to black? Again, yes.

You've answered my question: It is yes. Will I wear burgandy and gray, in addition to black? Again, yes.

It is permitted, in the sense that you will not be thrown overboard. You may prefer to say that it is not unlawful.

It is not permitted if you follow the rules set out for Gentlemen. Save in the context of a wager between The Brotherhood.

It is not permitted if you follow the rules set out for Gentlemen. Save in the context of a wager between The Brotherhood.

Brother Morrisons, may I respectfully remind you that mention of, discussion of, or reference to any matter pertaining to, germain to, or involving any member of, the AHOBTC in a public forum, newsgroup, discussion board, social networking site, or in any of the broadcast or print media, is punishable by being cast into the outer darkness in an anatomical state closely resembling that which the unfortunate Sir Martin currently finds himself suffering.

Brother J

Brother Morrisons, may I respectfully remind you that mention of, discussion of, or reference to any matter pertaining to, germain to, or involving any member of, the AHOBTC in a public forum, newsgroup, discussion board, social networking site, or in any of the broadcast or print media, is punishable by being cast into the outer darkness in an anatomical state closely resembling that which the unfortunate Sir Martin currently finds himself suffering.

Brother J

I'll have company then! Nice to meet a fellow offender......

Brother J

What are you talking about?:D

Peace and love, Nalcolmxxx

For my first thread on my first day on this forum I asked what I thought was a simple question: "For black tie events, are gray or burgandy ties and cummerbunds also allowed?" Rather than a simple yes or no - with associated comment from experienced travelers - all I've seen so far are opinions, some of which border on the defamation of a free person's character, not to mention arguments concerning whether black is really black or not. Great Scott!

Of course, being 76 doesn't give me any more rights than the next guy, but I do know when I was younger I did try to impress everybody. Those days are long gone. For me, anyway.

Hello Omakim,

It seems cummerbunds and bow ties always bring out the best of this board. A simple yes or no answer would not have been nearly as interesting, I would suspect--even if some of the posts have come from some of us, as said, who are bordering on dwelling in the realm of absurdity.

I hope you decide to stick around and ask more questions or even try to impress us with some of your answers containing all the wisdom of your 76 years.:)

Gail

PS Many on this board are not too much your junior, but still try to impress-- or in some cases they really do impress!

Hello Omakim,

It seems cummerbunds and bow ties always bring out the best of this board. A simple yes or no answer would not have been nearly as interesting, I would suspect--even if some of the posts have come from some of us, as said, who are bordering on dwelling in the realm of absurdity.

I hope you decide to stick around and ask more questions or even try to impress us with some of your answers containing all the wisdom of your 76 years.:)

Gail

PS Many on this board are not too much your junior, but still try to impress-- or in some cases they really do impress!

Thanks. Oh I know I'll be a youngster compared to some, if not many. It's just that it's my first trip on an ocean liner and I'm looking forward to having a whole lot of fun at the same time being courteous and respectable. I know I'll find a lot of good people who are friendly and not judgmental. By the way, "judgmental" is the way we Americans spell the word. I assume I'll get blasted for that too. Pressing on regardless.

Thanks. Oh I know I'll be a youngster compared to some, if not many. It's just that it's my first trip on an ocean liner and I'm looking forward to having a whole lot of fun at the same time being courteous and respectable. I know I'll find a lot of good people who are friendly and not judgmental. By the way, "judgmental" is the way we Americans spell the word. I assume I'll get blasted for that too. Pressing on regardless.

You are very astute- get in first before the criticism :D

I hope you have a wonderful time- we do ;)

It is permitted, in the sense that you will not be thrown overboard. You may prefer to say that it is not unlawful.

The Brotherhood? The only brotherhood I hold dear is for those of us who've come under fire in a combat zone.

Archived