Best authentic New Orleans food

langleyfld

:DBest authentic New Orleans food was found while wondering from the French Quarter back to the Drury Hotel one night.

Its "Evelyn's" at 139 St. Chartres St. (just off Canal St.). Very small quaint diner with the BEST food and ATMOSPHERE we had during our 4 day stay!! The prices and portions were great! The owner even gave us samples to try, no charge! It doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is full of character inside!!!

We have passed Evelyn's for years, and never noticed it. The French Quarter is full of bars that serve food on the side, most of which is terrible, but this pace was pretty good.

I had a muffeleta (very good) with a side of red beans (excellent). My wife had the gumbo (very good). The bill was $22.

The owner is a guy who is in his 80"s and does all the cooking and loves to schmooze with the patrons.

I'm glad you tried it! I thought it was excellent and wanted all to visit New Orleans to try this wonderful little place. And yes, the Muffelata was actually better than at Central Groc. I told him while tasting it and he hugged me and said "I taught them h ow to make it and they screwed up"!

Yes, the elderly man, sat with us while we ate and talked about his life in New Orleans. We thought he was hilarious!

We'd definitely go back if we cruise from New Orleans!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived