Kiel, Germany?

hullo again!

greetings from India!

i need your advice to get our excursions in order..

our first stop on the eurodam is Kiel on a Sunday.

we are a group of 14.

can we visit the toy train museum in hamburg and then lubeck in the 7 hours we have?

on the same ticket? ( which would make it a steal!)

for warnemunde later in the cruise we are thinking of visiting schwerin, again on the group tickets. we have two senior ladies so dont want too much walking for them for catching the trains etc.

your inputs, in as much detail as possible, will be invaluable!

hullo again!

greetings from India!

i need your advice to get our excursions in order..

our first stop on the eurodam is Kiel on a Sunday.

we are a group of 14.

can we visit the toy train museum in hamburg and then lubeck in the 7 hours we have?

on the same ticket? ( which would make it a steal!)

for warnemunde later in the cruise we are thinking of visiting schwerin, again on the group tickets. we have two senior ladies so dont want too much walking for them for catching the trains etc.

your inputs, in as much detail as possible, will be invaluable!

Generally:

because you mentioned the two senior ladies:

For Kiel: I would only go Hamburg since Lübeck might be too hilly. You need to walk downhills from the train station to the Holsten Gate and then again uphills to the other attractions like town hall or Niederegger.

For Warnemünde: Same with Schwerin. It's a longer walk down and up from the train station to the lake and castle and the park around the castle. Therefore I would highly recommend you to go to Bad Doberan to catch the Mollie-Train (Steam-Train with a beautiful scenery) and the sea resort place Kühlungsborn.

Those places would be even so it's easier to discover with the senior ladies.

If you think that those suggestions would be acceptable for you and your group I can add the schedule and ticket information.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you for your prompt reply.

for kiel hamburg sounds fine. pl advise the best train and ticket options.

we were pretty keen on schwerin.. will it be possible to take a local taxi for the seniors to the castle and back to the train station?

thanks again! your inputs are simply invaluable!

Sunday, June 14, 2015: 08.00 hrs - 17.00 hrs, Ostseekai

1. IMPORTANT: There is a second giant cruise ship in port and is debarking. So train might be full. So be there latest 30 minutes ahead of departure to make sure that you are on the platform before many other cruisers come.

2. Normally you need 15 minutes regular time to walk. It's an easy walk as it is all even. But you can also take the ferry (not so early on Sunday) or bus (does not fit at a Sunday Morning) from the Ostseekai to Hauptbahnhof Central Station. Just walk along the water front: left water - right land straight ahead.

3. You need with a party of 14 adults (no kids):

2 tickets at 40.00 EUR

1 ticket at 37.00 EUR

It's a day pass which is called Schleswig-Holstein Ticket

2 tickets for a party of 5

1 ticket for a party of 4

It's valid for the whole day incl. return ticket and public transport in Hamburg - but no public transport in Kiel.

You get it in the ticket machine in the train station (English guidance available - payment by international credit card possible) - Have a ballpen with you since you need to write the names of your party on the backside of the ticket. For a little extra money you may also see the manned counter.

4. your itinerary:

09.21 hrs leaving Kiel Hbf (track 5)

10.37 hrs arriving Hamburg Hbf

Caution: there is also one connection leaving 08.55 hrs from Kiel but you need to change the train in Neumünster. But you have only a gap of 5 minutes for the transfer. I think it's safer to start in Kiel 09.21 hrs and keep your seats.

Caution: the 09.13 hrs ICE-service may not be used with the day passes (only valid on regional trains)

return

14.21 hrs leaving Hamburg Hbf (track 13a) - IMPORTANT - there might be two trains in the same track. So make sure that you board the right train.

15.38 hrs arriving Kiel Hbf

5. Exit in Hamburg towards track 1 exit (Kirchenallee). There is bus M6 towards Speicherstadt Auf dem Sande (NOT U Feldstrasse - leaves every 20 minutes on 06, 26, 46 past the hour - about 15 minutes ride). There is the railways miniature museum. Make sure that you pre-book the tickets to avoid LONG LONG lines on weekends.

6. You can return to Rathausmarkt (Town Hall) and could see the inner Alster Lake before returning to Kiel. From there you can use most buses who are going frequently back to the Central Station.

Let's come to Warnemünde and Schwerin.

Tuesday, June, 23, 2015, 06.00 hrs - 20.00 hrs

1. Important: since the day passes are not valid before 09.00 hrs you can easily relax on board and have breakfast or walk through Warnemünde.

2. Same size of party:

2 tickets at 39.00 EUR (for party of 5)

1 ticket at 35.00 EUR (for party of 4)

It's not valid in public transport in Rostock (Warnemünde is part of Rostock) or Schwerin.

Available at the ticket machine (see above).

3. 09.33 hrs leaving Warnemünde

09.54 hrs arriving Rostock Hbf (connection gives you a little extra time to find the right track and to find best seats when you board early)

10.25 hrs leaving Rostock Hbf (towards Hamburg Hbf)

11.20 hrs arrving Schwerin Hbf (Central Station)

15.53 hrs leaving Schwerin Hbf

16.51 hrs arriving Rostock Hbf

17.03 hrs leaving Rostock Hbf (you can use also later trains to slow down - runs during rush hour every 10 minutes)

17.24 hrs arriving Warnemünde

4. Bus 10 connects Schwerin Train Station and Castle (Schloss).

11.39 hrs (every 30 minutes towards Buchenweg - 5 minutes transit time)

latest return

15.23 hrs from Schloss

you need per passenger one short-track-ticket (Kurzstrecke)

each passenger is 1.50 EUR in cash with the driver

"14 x Kurzstrecke bitte"

Hope you have great tours in Germany.

Regards

HeinBloed

I am completely overawed by the sheer detail and precision of the information you have shared dear Heinbloed. The time and effort you devote to help tourists/travellers like us from all over the world is a wonderful resource.

I have just a couple of small queries.

1. What is the bus we should take back to town hall & the lake in hamburg?

2.Can we book both the regional group train tickets online? would you advise that? it just seems that way we would not have to figure out the ticket vending machines and could just board.

3. Would you suggest spending some time in rostock?( sine our ship doesnt leave till later in the evening) Any sightseeing? or shopping, whether branded or local, that can be done since my daughters would love that.

Thanks a ton for all your help!

I am completely overawed by the sheer detail and precision of the information you have shared dear Heinbloed. The time and effort you devote to help tourists/travellers like us from all over the world is a wonderful resource.

I have just a couple of small queries.

1. What is the bus we should take back to town hall & the lake in hamburg?

2.Can we book both the regional group train tickets online? would you advise that? it just seems that way we would not have to figure out the ticket vending machines and could just board.

3. Would you suggest spending some time in rostock?( sine our ship doesnt leave till later in the evening) Any sightseeing? or shopping, whether branded or local, that can be done since my daughters would love that.

Thanks a ton for all your help!

1. M6 terminates just in front of the miniature train exhibition: so you take the same M6 back to Rathausmarkt.

Once you are in front of the town hall (you are standing on the square and with the town hall to your back side) you can take any bus which comes from the left to the right. All of them are going Hauptbahnhof (Central Station). The only buses you may not take are two-number digits starting with 3. All buses 30s showing Schnellbus (Express-Bus) are due to Express-Supplement.

But the way back to train station is even and goes spthrough the shopping mile Mönckebergstrasse in about 10 minutes regular walk and it ends at the right side of the station around track 13a.

2. Yes - http://www.bahn.de

Change to English version at the top of the page.

Scroll down to the button: click on Länder-Tickets.

Schleswig-Holstein for Kiel

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for Warnemünde

You need a printer and your credit card for payment and later in your train for identification: same credit card!!!

It is not refundable!

3. I am a little confused: as there will not be too much time in the evening. The sailing list of the port says 20.00 hrs. Rostock Central Station is about 15-20 minutes walking distance from the historical shopping district. If you pay for extra tickets you may use the tram. I would highly recommend to stay at Warnemünde to shop as this is a few minute foot walk back to the ship. You have better the time under control.

Regards

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

I am planning to take my group of 13 to visit Lubeck on 6/14. We have 11 adults and 2 teenagers. Do my teenagers (14 and 15) qualify for child ticket or buying adult group ticket a better deal for us ?

Also, is it cheaper to buy tickets in cash at the counter vs machine using credit card ?

I understand there will be another ship disembark on the same day on 6/14 and it will be busy at the train station. Just want to confirm the train to Lubeck is direct on weekend schedule.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Dear Heinbloed- I have just completed the purchase of the lander tickets online. With your detailed instructions it was remarkably simple.

Even otherwise, its pretty straightforward, and I would recommend buying online since it saves the bother of fiddling with the ticket vending machine and getting the 'hang'of it. Also possible queues with multiple ships in port. Just my two bit!

Hi HeinBloed,

We (a group of four of 1 senior) will be on Eurodam arriving Kiel on 2/Jun 7am-5pm and plan to visit Lubeck.

Hope that you could help to provide us advice on the direction/points of interest and train schedule and ticket options

Also, 8/Jun we will be in Warnemunde 6am-8pm, your valuable suggestion is appreciated.

Many thanks for your advice.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Can anyone tell me if there are shuttles available from the Hamburg airport to the Kiel cruise terminal. I will be flying into Hamburg in August to meet the Costa Pacifica in Kiel.

Any suggestions? I do not want to take a bus or train as luggage can be a problem for me.

Thank you for your help

pat

Hello

Can anyone tell me if there are shuttles available from the Hamburg airport to the Kiel cruise terminal. I will be flying into Hamburg in August to meet the Costa Pacifica in Kiel.

Any suggestions? I do not want to take a bus or train as luggage can be a problem for me.

Thank you for your help

pat

Ask Costa.

There is a public shuttle:

http://www.kielius.de

which connects Hamburg Airport and Kiel Central Bus Terminal

from here you can use the free shuttle the lines provide to the cruise terminal (not sure if Costa offers)

OR

Kielius offers for a small surcharge a taxi transfer from the bus to the final destination within Kiel (incl. cruise terminal).

Regards

HeinBloed

Ask Costa.

There is a public shuttle:

http://www.kielius.de

which connects Hamburg Airport and Kiel Central Bus Terminal

from here you can use the free shuttle the lines provide to the cruise terminal (not sure if Costa offers)

OR

Kielius offers for a small surcharge a taxi transfer from the bus to the final destination within Kiel (incl. cruise terminal).

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks for the information.

pat