Kiel, Germany?

We are between 35 and 75 and have seen locks in various places, including Panama, and did the small boat tour through them as well, totally different perspectives than the ship's view. Since I am so impressed with locks I will look into it a little more- thanks much

O.K.

then here are some more links to check before you complete your plannings for the day:

Here is a map for this area:

http://www.wsv.de/wsa-ki/service/anreise/index.html

Bus 11 (which you mentioned yourself) arrives on the South Side of the locks in Wik.

There is a complimentary ferry which connects the North and the South Side of the canal. Here you find the schedule:

http://www.wsv.de/wsa-ki/pdf/Fahrplan_09_08_01_neu.pdf

On the South Side of the map you see in green "Aussichtspunkt Wik" - that's Observation Point Wik. It's 1 EUR admission fee.

On the North Side of the map you see in red "Schleusenausstellung" - that's the exhibition. It's 2.30 EUR, public tours at 11.00 hrs, 13.00 hrs, 15.00 hrs. Due to limited tickets you need to pre-book such a visit:

schleusenfuehrung.wsa-kiel-holtenau@wsv.bund.de

http://www.wsv.de/wsa-ki/service/nok_ausstellung/index.html

I guess it's only in German - but I am sure you get access to rooms normally you cannot access to.

Here are also some options for doing a tour on the canal:

http://www.grachtenschiffahrt.de/index.php?id=35

http://www.raddampfer-freya.de/

http://www.gueter-tour.de/touren/cont_bootsfahrt.php

Regards

HeinBloed

I am not sure if only locks are fascinating you or you might be interested to see other kind of techniques to lift ships from one level to the next.

If you are willing to rent a car and drive by yourself about 2 hours southbound of Kiel:

There is this attraction:

http://www.schiffshebewerk-scharnebeck.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=30

They call themselve when it was under construction the worldwide biggest double vertical ship's lift (DO NOT LAUGH - I am not an expert nor an English native speaker and no idea if this technical expression is correct or not).

It could be very combinable with a lot of attractions along the roads to/from Lüneburg.

Thanks.

I'll see how long my friends can stay and try to stay a little longer, if possible.

I'll look into all the places you've kindly recommended.

Oops, HeinBloed (sorry)

Planning excitement is setting in. OK, this is our plan -

Depart Brisbane 29th August to Hamburg.

Hamburg to Lubeck (? bus from airport easiest route)

Lubeck, as a base, 1 day recovery, plus 5 days, inc date of departure

Lubeck to Kiel for cruise departure on Saturday, 4th September at 6 pm.

There will be 3 of us active seniors. My daughter will arrive in Hamburg from Canberra and go direct to the ship in Kiel on 4th September. Would train be the best way for her? (She is a frequent adventurous traveller.)

We have visited Hamburg before by car en route to Denmark, but I can only remember the State Fair (children with) and the Red Light District (infamous), so I'd love a day return visit to broaden my appreciation of Hamburg.

Edited by MMDown Under

Still don't know if this is correct place to put this, but here goes. Does anyone know what time the Eurodam goes through the Keil Canal on July 1st? And more importantly, is it something to get up and see?

Thanks

Ms Gal

Still don't know if this is correct place to put this, but here goes. Does anyone know what time the Eurodam goes through the Keil Canal on July 1st? And more importantly, is it something to get up and see?

Thanks

Ms Gal

EURODAM is too large and does not pass the Kiel-Canal.

Only PRINSENDAM of HAL-fleet is able to allow passage through Kiel-Canal.

Regards

HeinBloed

Oops, HeinBloed (sorry)

Planning excitement is setting in. OK, this is our plan -

Depart Brisbane 29th August to Hamburg.

Hamburg to Lubeck (? bus from airport easiest route)

There is a bus from Hamburg Airport called Traveliner:

http://www.traveliner.de/docs/Flyer2010_2.pdf

This bus goes every two hours.

One pays 17.50 EUR

but there is a special fare for couples

two pays 25.00 EUR

If you are three: buy one couple + one single. No discounts for seniors.

If you just arrive inconveniently for the departure of the bus:

the train requires an extra transfer at Hamburg Central Station - so maybe it's better to wait a little bit a the airport.

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/04/hamburg-germany-access-public.html

The Radisson Blu Hotel is directly at the river Trave. Very nice location - but not the cheapest...

If you are using http://www.hotel.de - http://www.hrs.de - http://www.booking.com to find a hotel.

I would suggest one close to the train station which allows you a great logistics.

All hotels at Hansestraße - Lindenplatz are one block away from the bus terminal of the airport service and quite mid-level hotels. All 5 minutes walk from here:

2009Luebeck72-vi.jpg

Another option would be to stay at the sea-resort district in Travemünde if you prefer to have beach, boats and water around.

Lubeck, as a base, 1 day recovery, plus 5 days, inc date of departure

Lubeck to Kiel for cruise departure on Saturday, 4th September at 6 pm.

As suggested: Plön/Malente/Eutin (Holsteiner Schweiz)

2009Eutin12-vi.jpg

2009Malente07-vi.jpg

- Schwerin

2009Buga38-vi.jpg

- Lüneburg

2008-EURODAM-2092-Lueneburg.jpg

- Travemünde and coastal maybe upto island of Fehmarn as destinations from Lübeck. And of course: Hamburg (non red-light districts...)

I am very optimistic subject you will have good weather that you have a very nice pre-cruise stay and you will enjoy it.

I guess you are going on MSC POESIA...

Take the 11.06 hrs train and you'll be in Kiel at 12.15 hrs.

Opposite of Central Station at Bus Terminal MSC is offering complimentary bus shuttle to the cruise terminal.

2009KielTransferHbf0705-vi.jpg

You are right on time to check-in and have lunch onboard.

There will be 3 of us active seniors. My daughter will arrive in Hamburg from Canberra and go direct to the ship in Kiel on 4th September. Would train be the best way for her? (She is a frequent adventurous traveller.)

Best would be to take the bus:

http://www.kielius.de/docs/Kielius_Fahrplan10_Korr02-10_komplett_web.pdf

Your daughter should buy a return ticket for 30.00 EUR.

I guess you would also return to Hamburg airport: 17.50 EUR one-way.

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/04/kiel-germany-around-central-station-to.html

We have visited Hamburg before by car en route to Denmark, but I can only remember the State Fair (children with) and the Red Light District (infamous), so I'd love a day return visit to broaden my appreciation of Hamburg.

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/04/hamburg-germany-access-public_13.html

and there a lot to see:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/12/hamburg-germany.html

Regards

HeinBloed

We now have our arrival details, HeinBloed.

We arrive in Hamburg with Lufthansa, via Frankfurt, at 21.35 h, 30th August.

As the 22.30 h bus from Hamburg Airport doesn't get to Lubeck until 23.55 h, it probably would be better if we stayed in Hamburg at least overnight.

As we wish to spend a day visiting Hamburg, it may be best to stay two nights in Hamburg (30-1/9), then travel to Lubeck for 3 nights (1-4/9), then travel to Kiel on the 4th for ship departure at 6pm.

Do you think this is the best plan?

An alternative may be to stay at an airport hotel overnight, then get the bus to Lubeck the following morning.

Edited by MMDown Under

We now have our arrival details, HeinBloed.

We arrive in Hamburg with Lufthansa, via Frankfurt, at 21.35 h, 30th August.

As the 22.30 h bus from Hamburg Airport doesn't get to Lubeck until 23.55 h, it probably would be better if we stayed in Hamburg at least overnight.

As we wish to spend a day visiting Hamburg, it may be best to stay two nights in Hamburg (30-1/9), then travel to Lubeck for 3 nights (1-4/9), then travel to Kiel on the 4th for ship departure at 6pm.

Do you think this is the best plan?

An alternative may be to stay at an airport hotel overnight, then get the bus to Lubeck the following morning.

It sounds perfect to me.

For logistics reason: may I suggest that you find a hotel at KIRCHENALLEE area.

1. the commuter train from the airport just stops at central station there and you just need to cross the street.

2. from here you can go on HoHo-Bus opposite of your hotel.

3. two blocks from the city center

4. from here you have all public transport

5. opposite would be the train to Lübeck starting again to continue your voyage.

If you plan to see Lüneberg I would stay one more day in Hamburg as it is easier to reach than from Lübeck.

Subject your budget allow I would stay at Hotel Reichshof Maritim which is the best on Kirchenallee.

A good price-value ratio has the Continental Novum which is also opposite of the central station at Kirchenallee. I booked last time there a business room which was only 10 EUR more and it was very good. Especially the breakfast is with 5 EUR not overpriced and you get a value of 15-20 EUR which you need to pay in other hotels.

Regards from Canada

HeinBloed

It sounds perfect to me.

1. the commuter train from the airport just stops at central station there and you just need to cross the street.

5. opposite would be the train to Lübeck starting again to continue your voyage.

If you plan to see Lüneberg I would stay one more day in Hamburg as it is easier to reach than from Lübeck.

Subject your budget allow I would stay at Hotel Reichshof Maritim which is the best on Kirchenallee.

A good price-value ratio has the Continental Novum which is also opposite of the central station at Kirchenallee. I booked last time there a business room which was only 10 EUR more and it was very good. Especially the breakfast is with 5 EUR not overpriced and you get a value of 15-20 EUR which you need to pay in other hotels.

Regards from Canada

HeinBloed

Sorry HeinBloed.

I didn't realise you were in Canada.

Thanks for all that you have given me to work on.

Sorry HeinBloed.

I didn't realise you were in Canada.

Thanks for all that you have given me to work on.

Do not worry... sleepless nights due to jetlag... typical business traveller's life...

Regards

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

HeinBloed, I was just reading your blog regarding Lubeck and have a question. For the group train ticket, you said that it could also be used on the bus to return to the cruise terminal in Kiel. Is the ticket also good for bus travel in Lubeck or do those tickets need to be purchased separately?

HeinBloed, I was just reading your blog regarding Lubeck and have a question. For the group train ticket, you said that it could also be used on the bus to return to the cruise terminal in Kiel. Is the ticket also good for bus travel in Lubeck or do those tickets need to be purchased separately?

If you travel after 09.00 hrs (on a weekday) you can buy this group ticket.

This ticket would incl. the rides in buses in Kiel as well as in Lübeck.

BUT before you find the bus in Lübeck, wait for the next departure you are faster to walk to Holstengate.

By the way:

Since this week the double-track service from Kiel to Lübeck is opened and so there are two trains per hour leaving from Kiel Central Station:

04 minutes past the hour

and

44 minutes past the hour

Just important if you go before 09.00 hrs on weekdays:

07.44 hrs and earlier from Kiel: the group ticket does not work properly as you will arrive Lübeck before 09.00 hrs. You always will need single tickets to get to Lübeck: 15.70 EUR or a day pass for singles which is valid before 09.00 hrs: 27.10 EUR per person. So if you are going with a party of two: cheaper to buy 2 single day passes. When you are 3, 4 or 5 in your group: buy single tickets to Lübeck and a group day pass for 30.20 EUR for the intra-Lübeck part and return journey.

08.04 hrs and you need additional single tickets to Pönitz(Holst): 10.10 EUR per person (can be bought with the bus driver in Kiel if you board the bus at the cruise terminal or at the machine at the train station)

08.44 hrs and you need additional single tickets to Preetz: 4.00 EUR per person (can be bought with the bus driver in Kiel if you board the bus at the cruise terminal or at the machine at the train station)

09.04 hrs and you need ONLY additional tickets to the Central Station from the Cruise Terminal if you dislike to walk the 20 minutes before: 2.20 EUR per person (can be bought with the bus driver in Kiel if you board the bus at the cruise terminal)

Regards

HeinBloed

We were in Kiel last summer. It was the last port, on the last day, of HAL's Gems of the Baltic on the Eurodam. We had a leisurely breakfast on board, wandered around the shopping streets for a while, and then sat in a lovely park directly across from Eurodam's berth. As it happened, it was July 1 (Canada Day?) and the Eurodam had a fabulous poolside barbeque for lunch. After lunch it was time to pack and prepare to disembark the next morning.

Kiel was the perfect end to a wonderful cruise. I would recommend it.

Thanks for sharing your Kiel day. We are also on Eurodam and it's good to know something special might be going on for lunch on the ship after spending the morning just walking around.

Did you hear any comments on the "Castles and Roses" tour through the ship?

It's "wait-listed" so we probably can't do it anyway but I feel better now knowing we can just shop and relax. Thanks.

If you travel after 09.00 hrs (on a weekday) you can buy this group ticket.

This ticket would incl. the rides in buses in Kiel as well as in Lübeck.

BUT before you find the bus in Lübeck, wait for the next departure you are faster to walk to Holstengate.

By the way:

Since this week the double-track service from Kiel to Lübeck is opened and so there are two trains per hour leaving from Kiel Central Station:

04 minutes past the hour

and

44 minutes past the hour

Just important if you go before 09.00 hrs on weekdays:

07.44 hrs and earlier from Kiel: the group ticket does not work properly as you will arrive Lübeck before 09.00 hrs. You always will need single tickets to get to Lübeck: 15.70 EUR or a day pass for singles which is valid before 09.00 hrs: 27.10 EUR per person. So if you are going with a party of two: cheaper to buy 2 single day passes. When you are 3, 4 or 5 in your group: buy single tickets to Lübeck and a group day pass for 30.20 EUR for the intra-Lübeck part and return journey.

08.04 hrs and you need additional single tickets to Pönitz(Holst): 10.10 EUR per person (can be bought with the bus driver in Kiel if you board the bus at the cruise terminal or at the machine at the train station)

08.44 hrs and you need additional single tickets to Preetz: 4.00 EUR per person (can be bought with the bus driver in Kiel if you board the bus at the cruise terminal or at the machine at the train station)

09.04 hrs and you need ONLY additional tickets to the Central Station from the Cruise Terminal if you dislike to walk the 20 minutes before: 2.20 EUR per person (can be bought with the bus driver in Kiel if you board the bus at the cruise terminal)

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks so much for the info. My Mom who is in her 80s will be with me, so we will need the bus in Lubeck as well as to Central Station in Kiel. Thanks again

We will be docking in Kiel for the day from the Eurodam on a Sunday in July. The price of the concentration camp tour is about $500 for a couple. That seems high to us, do you know if it is worth the drive and time?:confused:

Contact EUROPCAR (National/Alamo).

Their location is open on Sunday.

I think AVIS (footwalk distance) is also available on Sunday.

The drive would be around 1.5 hrs one way.

You can also ask Vineta (http://www.vineta.net/vineta/vineta.php) for a quotation and check their price.

Taking train would be under this circumstances no good option.

What you can do if you want to see a concentration camp:

From Warnemünde it's easy to reach Oranienburg (Sachsenhausen).

Regards

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...
It sounds perfect to me.

Regards from Canada

HeinBloed

We decided on 2 days in Hamburg to be followed by 3 days in Lubeck. We booked Continental Novum, in Hamburg, which you recommended, because of its price and convenient location. Thank you.

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment, with a washing machine, in Lubeck, so we'll have clean clothes, when we embark.

Train Travel Plans -

30th August - 2.00 pm I arrive at Frankfurt Airport. I (A) plan to take train to Hamburg.

30th August - 9.35 pm my friends (B&C) arrive in Hamburg Airport. Plan to take train to Hamburg City.

1st September - (A,B,C) 3 of us will take the train from Hamburg to Lubeck.

3rd September - (D) pm arrival in Frankfurt Airport. Plans to take train to Lubeck. Would she need to change trains at Hamburg, or could she get a train to Lubeck from Frankfurt Airport? (I'll check her arrival time.)

4th September - late am departure by train from Lubeck to Kiel (A,B,C,D) 4 of us

I will print out your handy information on Hamburg and Lubeck.

As well as sightseeing in Hamburg and Lubeck, we'd like a relaxing day in Lubeck/Travelmunde.

We'd like to hire a bike for a day, if the weather is good, as I have fond memories of bike riding on off road bike paths in Germany. Are there any in the region? I was reminded watching a video of a ship passing through the Kiel Canal, where people were riding bikes on bike paths alongside the Canal.

We'd like to hire bikes in Copenhagen as well, but, coming from the Sunshine State, we're wimps in the wet. :)

Any suggestions/reminders much appreciated.

Edited by MMDown Under

We decided on 2 days in Hamburg to be followed by 3 days in Lubeck. We booked Continental Novum, in Hamburg, which you recommended, because of its price and convenient location. Thank you.

As said before: it's not like Inter-Continental or Radisson in Sydney or in Hamburg. It's a simple, clean hotel with a great price-value-ratio for a city like Hamburg with a great location which makes sightseeing and logistics very simple. You can find some comments on tripadvisor.

Although I am sure that this is a "stupid" recommendation:

Just in the same building the best China-Restaurant "Chinese Style" (which means not Western Style) in Hamburg - even the Chinese Consulate are doing the banquettes there although the interior of the restaurant is a little bit ugly - but the food is great.

Jim Block - if you like burgers. Long queues... especially their garlic bread are great.

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment, with a washing machine, in Lubeck, so we'll have clean clothes, when we embark.

Very smart. But just do not forget as you have to cater yourself: opening times of stores in Germany: 7 Eleven and such institutions are absolutely unknown in Germany. And Sunday most stores incl. groceries are closed. But at Lübeck Central Station you get a limited selection and at fuel stops.

Train Travel Plans -

30th August - 2.00 pm I arrive at Frankfurt Airport. I (A) plan to take train to Hamburg.

14.42 hrs and 16.42 hrs are direct trains to Hamburg without changing.

15.37 hrs and 16.11 hrs are smooth connections with one change in Frankfurt.

All other connections are not smooth with multi-level changes at Frankfurt Airport and Central Station.

When you arrive at Terminal 2 in Frankfurt - do not use the Sky Train to get to the train station but the bus which stops in front of terminal building and takes you to Terminal 1 but to the entrance of the train station.

I think it's too risky to buy a non-flexible high discounted ticket from Frankfurt to Hamburg. If you can get one for 29.00 EUR on http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml for the 15.37 hrs connection I would maybe risk it as the loss will not be too high.

But maybe you should also check the websites of Lufthansa and Air Berlin as they provide very cheap one-way-tickets to Hamburg as well.

30th August - 9.35 pm my friends (B&C) arrive in Hamburg Airport. Plan to take train to Hamburg City.

The train runs every 10 minutes. If you want to collect your friend at Hamburg airport: Take care that you get the first three cars of the train.

1st September - (A,B,C) 3 of us will take the train from Hamburg to Lubeck.

The train goes every hour. During peak time also more than once per hour.

3rd September - (D) pm arrival in Frankfurt Airport. Plans to take train to Lubeck. Would she need to change trains at Hamburg, or could she get a train to Lubeck from Frankfurt Airport? (I'll check her arrival time.)

Minimum transfer will be 1 times in Hamburg. There are no direct trains from Frankfurt to Lübeck. But as decribed before: sometimes you need to change twice if you do not want to wait too long for the direct train.

4th September - late am departure by train from Lubeck to Kiel (A,B,C,D) 4 of us

Two trains per hour will make it very smooth for you to find the right connection.

We'd like to hire a bike for a day, if the weather is good, as I have fond memories of bike riding on off road bike paths in Germany. Are there any in the region? I was reminded watching a video of a ship passing through the Kiel Canal, where people were riding bikes on bike paths alongside the Canal.

A very good idea!!! I would do it after a full day in Lübeck itself. Because Lübeck City Center is a little hilly.

But on day 2/3 with the bikes in trains or boats will ease your life.

I think bikes are the best ways to discover: slow enough to discover, see and experience - fast enough to discover, see and experience a lot more.

Here you are:

http://fahrrad-laden.info/50/Fahrradvermietung.html

http://fahrrad-laden.info/48/Wegweiser.html

Take the trains for the destinations like Plön and discover the castles and the lakes and ham going back via Malente and Eutin... here you can decided to take back maybe the train to Travemünde and going back alongside the river Trave to Lübeck... or taking the boat from Travemünde to Lübeck...

Another day I would maybe go to Fehmarn-Burg which is an island. Going to Großenbrode - discover the coast and fishermen village - farmers cottages which offer fresh homemade cakes etc. crossing the Fehmarnsundbrücke. And coming back slowly the alongside the coast until you dislike to bike anymore or. You return from Großenbrode on the train a little back and start again from Sierskdorf to Timmendorferstrand and see all the seaside resorts.

Following offer:

you write me an e-mail (Address in the signature or in the blog) and I should have your full name. I will arrange that you get a biker's map showing all the nice and scenic and free-of-car-bike-pathes for this part of Germany and will send it to your hotel.

FREE OF CHARGE.

We'd like to hire bikes in Copenhagen as well, but, coming from the Sunshine State, we're wimps in the wet. :)

Any suggestions/reminders much appreciated.

The very best way to discover Copenhagen!!!

http://www.rentabike.dk/

Regards

HeinBloed

As said before: it's not like Inter-Continental or Radisson in Sydney or in Hamburg. It's a simple, clean hotel with a great price-value-ratio for a city like Hamburg with a great location which makes sightseeing and logistics very simple. You can find some comments on tripadvisor.

Although I am sure that this is a "stupid" recommendation:

Just in the same building the best China-Restaurant "Chinese Style" (which means not Western Style) in Hamburg - even the Chinese Consulate are doing the banquettes there although the interior of the restaurant is a little bit ugly - but the food is great.

Jim Block - if you like burgers. Long queues... especially their garlic bread are great.

Very smart. But just do not forget as you have to cater yourself: opening times of stores in Germany: 7 Eleven and such institutions are absolutely unknown in Germany. And Sunday most stores incl. groceries are closed. But at Lübeck Central Station you get a limited selection and at fuel stops.

14.42 hrs and 16.42 hrs are direct trains to Hamburg without changing.

15.37 hrs and 16.11 hrs are smooth connections with one change in Frankfurt.

All other connections are not smooth with multi-level changes at Frankfurt Airport and Central Station.

When you arrive at Terminal 2 in Frankfurt - do not use the Sky Train to get to the train station but the bus which stops in front of terminal building and takes you to Terminal 1 but to the entrance of the train station.

I think it's too risky to buy a non-flexible high discounted ticket from Frankfurt to Hamburg. If you can get one for 29.00 EUR on http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml for the 15.37 hrs connection I would maybe risk it as the loss will not be too high.

But maybe you should also check the websites of Lufthansa and Air Berlin as they provide very cheap one-way-tickets to Hamburg as well.

The train runs every 10 minutes. If you want to collect your friend at Hamburg airport: Take care that you get the first three cars of the train.

The train goes every hour. During peak time also more than once per hour.

Minimum transfer will be 1 times in Hamburg. There are no direct trains from Frankfurt to Lübeck. But as decribed before: sometimes you need to change twice if you do not want to wait too long for the direct train.

Two trains per hour will make it very smooth for you to find the right connection.

A very good idea!!! I would do it after a full day in Lübeck itself. Because Lübeck City Center is a little hilly.

But on day 2/3 with the bikes in trains or boats will ease your life.

I think bikes are the best ways to discover: slow enough to discover, see and experience - fast enough to discover, see and experience a lot more.

Here you are:

http://fahrrad-laden.info/50/Fahrradvermietung.html

http://fahrrad-laden.info/48/Wegweiser.html

Take the trains for the destinations like Plön and discover the castles and the lakes and ham going back via Malente and Eutin... here you can decided to take back maybe the train to Travemünde and going back alongside the river Trave to Lübeck... or taking the boat from Travemünde to Lübeck...

Another day I would maybe go to Fehmarn-Burg which is an island. Going to Großenbrode - discover the coast and fishermen village - farmers cottages which offer fresh homemade cakes etc. crossing the Fehmarnsundbrücke. And coming back slowly the alongside the coast until you dislike to bike anymore or. You return from Großenbrode on the train a little back and start again from Sierskdorf to Timmendorferstrand and see all the seaside resorts.

Following offer:

you write me an e-mail (Address in the signature or in the blog) and I should have your full name. I will arrange that you get a biker's map showing all the nice and scenic and free-of-car-bike-pathes for this part of Germany and will send it to your hotel.

FREE OF CHARGE.

The very best way to discover Copenhagen!!!

http://www.rentabike.dk/

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you very much for all your help, HeinBloed.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for all your help, HeinBloed.

By sharing your local knowledge so freely, you are a wonderful asset to German Tourism!

We enjoyed our 2 days in Hamburg and 3 days in Lubeck and could have spent much longer there.

Guess you are now back down under... Hope that the TA-cruise was as nice as the few days ahead in Germany.

If you are back again just let me know if you need assistance.

Regards

HeinBloed

I have just booked a cruise on Msc Poesia leaving Kiel to New York next September. I have booked our flight arriving Hamburg on 8th Sept. at 1400 hr. - 2 days pre cruise. As there are not much to see at Kiel, I planned to stay at a hotel near Hamburg airport and communte from there to the city centre. We would like to have a free airport shuttle to the hotel. On the day of embarkation, we would return to the airport and catch the direct bus that leave hourly for Kiel. Could you recommend a hotel near the airport which is at least 3 1/2 star. I have not decided whether to book Mercure airport or Courtyard by Marriot Hotel.

SP

I have just booked a cruise on Msc Poesia leaving Kiel to New York next September. I have booked our flight arriving Hamburg on 8th Sept. at 1400 hr. - 2 days pre cruise. As there are not much to see at Kiel, I planned to stay at a hotel near Hamburg airport and communte from there to the city centre. We would like to have a free airport shuttle to the hotel. On the day of embarkation, we would return to the airport and catch the direct bus that leave hourly for Kiel. Could you recommend a hotel near the airport which is at least 3 1/2 star. I have not decided whether to book Mercure airport or Courtyard by Marriot Hotel.

SP

I prefer more the Courtyard than the Mercure.

But one very nice hotel is Radisson Blu - and if budget is a matter Motel One.

Personally I would not do it.

I would go with the commuter train to the Central Station.

Stay there opposite of the train station. Like Continental (good price-value-ratio) or Maritim Reichshof - Europäischer Hof - Senator Hotel.

It's better to enjoy the night life.

From here every hour one train starts for Kiel.

It is really nicer to stay there than at the airport.

There is only the airport and nothing else.

Regards

HeinBloed

As we would be flying for over 20 hours to get to Hamburg, we would like the convenience of not getting a train to the central station. We also have heavy suitcases so we prefer not to have to carry our suitcases up and down the stairs at the station. We would take your advice about staying at the recommended hotels. What is the best way to get to one of these hotels beside taking an expensive taxi?