November Transatlantic

Phylhering

This will be my first Azamara Cruise but my 4th transatlantic. All my other trips were on Regent. But Regent has gotten crazy on pricing. Got a FANTASTIC deal on this trip.

I am traveling solo - any advice on the dining situation. What is the best time to go to the dining room to get a table to share. On Regent it was 7 PM and you were good to go.

I hear of the changes starting April 1st, but no concise listing as to what they are.

Are there DVDs in the rooms. I booked a Veranda Room.

you'll love it. We had a great time on the Journey, warmish days, a few blustery days with 'seas' and great food. With the new upgrades...I don't really expect any major changes except for wine with lunch and dinner, soda, waters and gratuities included. Since we choose the lesser priced wines for budget reasons, we'll do fine with the house wines they'll serve. We did not have a DVD player (and not sure the 'new' veranda club cabins will either)

Since it's open seating all the time I'm sure you can request to dine with others. Several women travelling alone were treated like QUEENS/PRINCESSES with the wait staff/etc really watching out for them. Our experience with the maitre'd was great...never seated anywhere near the 2 sets for inexperienced wait staff (one of whom was demoted to slinging hash) after we made some comments when asked. Lots of silly games to join in. I really enjoyed my MP3 player and books (nice library too).

If you get to Funchal and it's repaired from the horrible floods...do the wicker tobaggan ride. We took the cable car to Monte and the tobbagan ride down (half way) and walked down the rest. Not cheap but it really supports the local economy.

have a great time

Thanks so much Annie for your tips. We do not stop in Funchel on this trip. I have been there on my 3 other crossings. Last trip I disembarked there and stayed at a fellow passengers house on the island for the night (no flight out until the next day). (I met the lady I stayed with on 2 other cruises and became friendly and she invited me to stay. She is from Texas and built a retirement house in Funchel for her and her husband.)

Phyllis

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the November transatlantic traveling solo this is my second Azamara cruise. I always had dinner mates unless I wanted to eat alone and I ate about 7:00 pm. All of the passengers and staff were very friendly. I had a veranda no DVD I sailed in February. What type of seas and weather can I expect in November-this will be my first transatlantic crossing.

This will be my first Azamara Cruise but my 4th transatlantic. All my other trips were on Regent. But Regent has gotten crazy on pricing. Got a FANTASTIC deal on this trip.

I am traveling solo - any advice on the dining situation. What is the best time to go to the dining room to get a table to share. On Regent it was 7 PM and you were good to go.

I hear of the changes starting April 1st, but no concise listing as to what they are.

Are there DVDs in the rooms. I booked a Veranda Room.

Hi Phylhering !

Re: Dining - Seating is open, so I suggest seeing the Maitre'D, and they will either seat you solo, or with others, depending on your wishes. From what I have read on the boards, they seem to be very accomodating towards Singles. When I was on Quest, there were no DVD players in my cabin.

As for the new changes on April 1st, Azamara has shared very little. My guess is, they plan to make a big deal of it. Hopefully, we will hear the details of Le Club Voyage today or tomorrow.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy your Cruise !

Thanks for the info.

Hope to meet you Sassygirl.

I am thinking about getting a portable DVD player or a laptop. Have not decided.

Do you think it would be easy to plug a portable DVD player into their TV?

Phyl

Hi Phyl:

Don't know about TV access for the DVD, however if you contact Azamara via email they should let you know. What type of seas and weather have you experienced in your prior transatlantic crossing during November?

I will see you onboard!

S

It is my first November crossing. The ones in April have been fanastic. Very warm. I think that once you leave the Mediterranean, it will get warm, since you are going the route of the mid-Atlantic.

Once the ocean was a sea of pure glass. Not one ripple even. Smooth sailing but very eerie too.

We were on the Transatlantic last December, Fantastic. You will enjoy. Nice weather, La Palma and Madiera lovely.

We used to dine about 8pm and shared most nights, met some great people (and a few oddities)

You will not be bored. Very classy!!

Archived