For those who have toured with Sylvie

nesheiml

I thought with the Euro heading south that tour operators would start quoting prices in dollars but to outright raise prices on tours already booked is just wrong. I would cancel too if that were the case. We have Sylvie booked this summer and haven't received an email yet...

Isn't their currency Euro..I don't see why they would quote in US dollars.

She is a tour guide in France.

Of course the currency is Euro and I would obviously know in what country I've booked a tour guide. What I am speculating is exactly what is done in Mexico when the dollar is stronger - prices are quoted in dollars which are usually more stable and a sure thing. Although these days, who knows - Europe could begin to drag us down with them.

She sounds wonderful and that is why I booked her. My only concern is that she raised the price after we booked. I agree that once the tour has been booked/contract filled out that is a set price. And it is 10 euros EACH not the whole tour.

cbowler I had emailed her to confirm all is well and update her on how many I had signed up. In her response was where she told me the increase. I agree once it is booked that is the price. Have never come across this in any of our tours.

Please understand I do believe she would have come through with a wonderful tour. I am in no way saying anything bad about that.

I did change to another company since I didnt want to take the chance of meeting up with her and she saying the price went up again.

I don't blame you. What company did you change to? Could you give me an idea of what a fair price is for the day in this region? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful 12 day cruise with Oceania. However our highlight was the day before the cruise began when we toured with Sylvie. We didn't want a "packaged" tour and from all the postings I had read here Sylvie is "THE BEST". After my research we decided that she was what we wanted and I contacted her about 8 months before the sailing date to customize “OUR” tour for the two of us.

We exchanged many emails and she is prompt and explains things very well. Since she has been giving tours for over 20 years in this area, nothing is custom for her, just combining her experiences can tailor an event that you will cherish forever.

We wanted a sea and sky route and after many mailings knew that we should visit Eze. We have been to Monte Carlo and thought a ride toward the Alps would top off our day. I also had requested some recommendations for lodging and dining after the tour concluded and she came through 100% on every detail.

Our flight arrived late, but she was there a little early and already searching for us. After introductions she gathered us up and loaded us into her van. She took us to our hotel to drop our carry-on bags since our main luggage was delayed. Then she took us to a lovely local market full of fruits, vegetables and beautiful flowers where at night the local restaurants open on each side. She suggested two dining establishments and the one we picked was excellent.

We drove around and saw where several stars such as; Elton John, Sean Connery and Bono live (or lived in the recent past). Then shortly we were in Eze and searching for parking. Let me tell you she can handle the tight spots, narrow roads and sudden drivers in her lane. I've been driving over 50 years, on the road and a few race tracks and I gulped (internally of course) when some of the conditions in Europe popped up.

We had a wonderful time learning about Eze, seeing the highlights, climbing... climbing... climbing and it was wonderful. We do a lot of do-it-yourself tours and miss so much that a tour guide can embellish.

We also appreciated that unlike some other guides we have hired, Sylvie never tried to steer us to a store, shop or restaurant where she obviously knew the staff and perhaps received a commission. We have had that happen with others and it feels uncomfortable. She was totally focused on our day and many times probed our interests to fine tune our tour.

Then we were off on the "upper road" to get a taste of the mountains and valleys behind the lovely Med. While the Alps were two hours away and we just didn't have enough daylight, but Sylvie took us to a few spots that gave us the results we wanted.

We have confidence that her packaged tours will satisfy the majority of those who want to experience the finer points of this great area.

Sylvie - responsive, friendly, polite a fine example of a "Lovely Lady"! If you want to mention the May tour with Russ and Pat, we’re sure she will know exactly what you want.

Archived