Cruise Tour 14 Alaska Ryndam Aug 4

schoolinmy3

My parents are taking the Cruise Tour in Alaska on the Ryndam in August. I was doing a bit of research for them and I didn't see anyone in Roll Call for this cruise. If anyone has taken a cruise tour that includes Denali and has any tips or information it would be greatly appreciated. My father is turning 70 this year but is very, very active. He has hiked in every country he has travelled to and is a native of Belgium. As a family we were on the SS Rotterdam in 1968 (I was 11 months old) transatlantic when we moved from the Netherlands to the US. That is his only cruise experience ;) so any helpful tips that I can pass on would be appreciated. They are already booked for two excursions - the White Pass railway in Haines/Skagway and the Bering Sea Fisherman tour in Ketchikan. I think they are going to the Mendenhall glacier on their own in Juneau.

diane

Their cruise experience will be much different from their crossing in '68. In good ways and bad ways. I'd just tell them to go with as few expectations as possible and enjoy the new experience.

Denali is beautiful. I hope the mountain is out for them. It is visible only about 25% of the time.

The railroad will be enjoyable for them. Lovely scenery. The crab fisherman's tour is the best excursion in Alaska, IMO. We took it last summer and had a blast. If they have time, walking Creek Street is fun. Filled with interesting shops.

Their cruise experience will be much different from their crossing in '68. In good ways and bad ways. I'd just tell them to go with as few expectations as possible and enjoy the new experience.

Denali is beautiful. I hope the mountain is out for them. It is visible only about 25% of the time.

The railroad will be enjoyable for them. Lovely scenery. The crab fisherman's tour is the best excursion in Alaska, IMO. We took it last summer and had a blast. If they have time, walking Creek Street is fun. Filled with interesting shops.

Thank you, I do hope they enjoy the cruise as we are the ones who talked them into it, and it isn't cheap! We also loved the Bering Sea fisherman's tour on our cruise in 2008.

diane

We did that same C-T 14 in 9/07. Food in AK is expensive, and if they're looking for a reasonable priced good restaurant in Fairbanks for either night I'd suggest Gambardella's, 706 2nd Ave. It's about a 10 block walk from the Westmark hotel (where they are likely staying), which is not too bad if the weather is okay. Do you have any specific questions?

We did that same C-T 14 in 9/07. Food in AK is expensive, and if they're looking for a reasonable priced good restaurant in Fairbanks for either night I'd suggest Gambardella's, 706 2nd Ave. It's about a 10 block walk from the Westmark hotel (where they are likely staying), which is not too bad if the weather is okay. Do you have any specific questions?

Thank you. I will email my parents and see if they have any specific questions. I do know that they booked the cruise with air included. Does this mean their hotel stays are included as well?

thanks

diane

Thank you. I will email my parents and see if they have any specific questions. I do know that they booked the cruise with air included. Does this mean their hotel stays are included as well?

thanks

diane

Yes, hotels and bus/train rides are included. No meals, though. (I don't believe a meal plan is an option on C-T 14.) The McKinley Explorer train from Fairbanks to Denali serves a good breakfast.

Oh, another tip - I would not recommend the Cabin Nite Dinner Theater at the McKinley Chalet Resort. The food was so-so and the show was pretty corny.

Edit correction: we did get one meal included - a lunch buffet at Wasila in the middle of the bus ride from Denali to Seward.

Yes, hotels and bus/train rides are included. No meals, though. (I don't believe a meal plan is an option on C-T 14.) The McKinley Explorer train from Fairbanks to Denali serves a good breakfast.

Oh, another tip - I would not recommend the Cabin Nite Dinner Theater at the McKinley Chalet Resort. The food was so-so and the show was pretty corny.

Edit correction: we did get one meal included - a lunch buffet at Wasila in the middle of the bus ride from Denali to Seward.

Thank you, that is good to know. I emailed that information to my parents and let them know if they had any questions to pass them on to me. Thanks for your help. My father has traveled a great deal in his life (he played for the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra and they did extensive tours) but he has never gone on a cruise.;)

I just remembered another "tip". Instead of packing his things in one bag and hers in another, mix them both. Put things they will both need for the 4 nights on land in one bag, and things they won't need until they are on the ship in the other. The "ship" bag can be sent ahead from the Fairbanks hotel, and need not be dealt with for 4 nights. It will be in their cabin when they board.

Archived