Climb Dunn's River Falls?

jjones

I leave in 2 weeks for a Panama Canal cruise. One port is Ocho Rios. I have read the excursion list and it seems Dunn's River Falls is THE attraction. Is it worth the climb? Are the views from the top spectacular? I'm 65 and out of shape, how strenuous is the climb? Any info appreciated.:o

We just did it last week. It was a great experience. The climb can actually be quite difficult at times. The group holds hands and you climb up single file. There were many times when I actually had to help pull the lady behind me up. If you have any knee or back problems it may not be the trip for you. There are also some observation points (decks) on the road down, so you can actually see others climbing up.

There are times when you are walking through the river current in waist deep water and climbing up 6 - 10ft drops.

Thanks Chris . . . you've convinced me . . . I have a knee problem (tendonitis in my left knee) and climbing the falls just doesn't seem to be something I'd enjoy (ouchy). But I do plan to visit the Falls . . . if for no other reason than to take some pictures and just to say I've been there . . .

As far as crowded, it really depends how many ships are in port and what time of the day you are there. Our guide, Phil Lafayette, avoided the busy times and took us to Dunn River Falls when it wasn't busy at all. Are far as clean--I did not see any indication that it was dirty whatsoever, water look clean, no garbage around etc. Wonderful experience..would do it again in a heartbeat.

I posted this on one of the other Dunn's River Falls threads. Please take heed!!!

" I would be VERY careful with young children walking up the falls. As with phlydude I got a pretty nasty injury as I walked up the falls. I fell off a ledge, as I fell into a pool of water I scraped the entire side of my leg on a hidden rock in the pool of water. It was a very nasty scrape injury from my knee to my butt. No doubt I was lucky, I could have hit that rock as I fell in and broke my leg. I am in fairly good shape and physically active (tennis, yoga, thi chi, swimming), it was just one of those unfortunate accidents that could happen to anyone.

I wonder just how many people get hurt, in some manner, on the falls. I bet it's more that you think!!! I'll be taking the steps and wading in occasionally. Good luck to the rest of you!!"

I too had an injury at the Falls, not going up but infact coming down!:mad:

The rocks are somewhat slippery near the bottom of the climb down. With one last step down, I slipped and my foot went under me. I quickly got up leaving 1 toenail behind! Hurt like H***. Back at the hotel I went to first aid and was told BEFORE I told the nurse where I had been, "Oh you were at the Falls!"

Quite a common injury...So be careful coming down, do not relax too soon.;)

I have never heard of anyone climbing down the falls. The buses are at the top. I have climbed the falls twice and found it quite easy. Saw people of all ages. I am past 50 and not in great shape but, had no problems at all. No extremely high spots. Saw no one fall or get hurt. There are steps going up if you wish to use that option. My husband has a bad back and he always walks up the steps instead of climbing. I loved it and highly recommend it to everyone. Dunns River Falls is a 'Must Do' in Ocho Rios.

The Falls were one of the highlights of our Western Caribean cruise. We did them on our own without a guide and not in a big group holding hands. We had so many laughs on our way up them. Water shoes are pretty much a necessity. I highly recommend going to the Falls and doing the climb.

Archived