Cabins on the Amsterdam

Gator83

Hi,

I am thinking of taking the 14 day Alaskan cruise on the Amsterdam and would probably decide between these cabins; what does everyone think?

NN GTY $1658pp

N GTY $1708pp

H at the very front of the ship &1758 (assigned cabin)

MM at the aft and assigned $1848

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi,

I am thinking of taking the 14 day Alaskan cruise on the Amsterdam and would probably decide between these cabins; what does everyone think?

NN GTY $1658pp

N GTY $1708pp

H at the very front of the ship &1758 (assigned cabin)

MM at the aft and assigned $1848

Thanks for your thoughts!

Unless you are getting H1804 or H1805 both of which are large wheelchair accessible cabins, I wouldn't take an H. Some like 1806 and 1807 look to be very small due to the curve of the bow. As for the insides...I would take the cheapest gty (NN) and hope for getting something better. But be forewarned you might get the worst...1800 or 1801. If you don't think you will be comfortable with the worst in the category, don't gamble on a gty, select your favorite from what is available.

We were aboard the Amsterdam during the summer of 2008 Alaska cruises. Our choice was to take a guarantee for a cheap inside room (which we sail often, so we wouldn't have been surprised or upset by an inside assignment). We were upgraded. DH and I were assigned 1807, a handicapped-accessible room. Mom and Dad were upgraded to an outside on the port-side of the ship. (I can't remember their cabin number, but it was closer to front than mid.)

This cruise taught DH that he was getting more sensitive to ocean movement with age! This itinerary didn't even include the crossing of the Gulf of Alaska.

During our Ryndam sailing (July 2009), we were closer to aft (just behind the aft staircase). We did cross the Gulf of Alaska on this one.

I shudder to think of the experience of crossing the Gulf in that far-forward position.

While sitting in the dining room, we watched the water of the Sea View pool cascading over the rear dining room windows. The Ryndam dining steward said (while DH was in the cabin due to too much motion), "Don't worry it will stop tomorrow." The one-way passengers were to disembark in Seward the next morning. I said, "Not if you're just coming back this same way tomorrow night!" (We were doing the 14-day, with the southbound return.)

I would love the opportunity to do the Amsterdam's new 14-day itinerary, and I'm sure DH would feel the same... but I know he wouldn't go for a gty on that one! ... and he wouldn't be happy with that forward cabin we had before.

If memory serves, the NN category is a standard inside, and the N is a large inside. DO NOT take a standard inside---it's far too small. Think of it as a cabinette, while the large inside is quite spacious.

I would not take an H at the front of the ship---there's far too much chance of a bumpy ride up there.

That leaves the N and MM categories as acceptable. I would not mind a cabin at the aft, but would prefer mid-ship.

Are you sure you don't want to go up a category or two to take a large inside at mid-ship?

Whatever you choose, this is a fabulous itinerary and sure to be a great cruise. Enjoy.

I am following this information with interest. I have sailed on the Amsterdam quite a bit.....but of course have not been in lots of rooms. I have sailed an MM guarantee a couple of times and found those rooms to be fine. My MM guarantee on my Grand Voyage was upgraded to cabin 2713 facing directly aft. This room is much larger than others. I have never sailed in any seas that were stronger than 'mildly rough' so I can't really comment on that eaither.

I am doing the 14 day Alaska itinerary on Amsterdam this summer and have cabin 2658 whichis Main deck outside. I am looking forward to trying this cabin location.

Thank you for all the info. Here are some more cabins to choose from:

M $1719pp

K $1749PP

J $1769 GTY only

HH $1789 Oceanview fully obstructed

DD $ 1789 Partially obstructed

Thank you!!

K $1749PP

J $1769 GTY only

Are either of these mid-ship? I didn't check the deck plans, but I think the J-category is Lower Promenade, between the forward and mid-ship elevators. Excellent location. Excellent.

Same deal with the K-category cabins. Main Deck, I believe?

Either Lower Promenade or Main Deck, between the forward and mid-ship elevators is a good location. On Main Deck, because it's between two passenger cabin decks, anywhere between the forward and aft elevators is good.

The area between the mid-ship and aft elevators on Lower Promenade could be noisy, as it's under the galley.

Ruthie,

The "M" cabins are on the Dolphin Deck (bottom passenger deck) betweeen forward and midship elevators. The "K" cabins are on the Lower Promenad Deck (third from bottom) in the aft. "J" is on Lower Promenade just forward of midship. "HH" and "DD" are in the aft.

Thank you

Ruthie,

The "M" cabins are on the Dolphin Deck (bottom passenger deck) betweeen forward and midship elevators. The "K" cabins are on the Lower Promenad Deck (third from bottom) in the aft. "J" is on Lower Promenade just forward of midship. "HH" and "DD" are in the aft.

I've never stayed on Dolphin Deck, so can't comment.

The K- cabins on Lower Promenade are under the galley, so I would expect noise at an early hour. A very early hour. Not my idea of a restful sleep. The J- category on Lower Promenade are great. Quiet, easy to get outside quickly, handy-dandy to all the nightspots.

The HH and DD aren't bad, but not my first choice of area.

First is mid-ship, second is aft, third is forward.

And it's Ruth. ;) Thanks.

Do you know if the DD and HH categories are larger cabins than the J cabin?

On Lower Promenade, the outside cabins are smaller than the insides.

The outsides have a tub (with a very high side); the insides have a shower. The outsides have a small vanity area; the insides have a larger vanity.

Archived