Inflatable lounges?

pacheco18

Decided to repost this as a separate thread; it was buried at the end of the long packing list thread.

I am looking at cheap inflatables as recommended

Since I really am not clear on how these are used, do I get two singles or a double? Is this for laying on the beach or floating on the water or both? Any specific recommendations?

The trouble with floating is that the sun is a real killer. Lying in the shade might be a better plan. One of my cruise mates once brought two floaties (water worms) with her, carefully inserted around the outsides of her luggage. Needless to say she left them behind, and I, on for a second week, got one of the leftovers. I admit it was fun, at least that way you're partly under the water, not on top. But still, sunscreen and coverups in the water are essential.

Never having heard of a water worm, I Googled it. They look like fun and fairly packable. I am trying to figure out what water toys, if any, I should bring along and still pack light. I am thinking cheap inflatable lounges that I can discard or pass on at the end of the trip. I would like something for the water and I really do not like to swim; I prefer to float and lounge.

Pach, I always travel with floats in my luggage. It's now a staple. One for each of us. I pick them up at CVS, Walmart and Target for under $3 from the pool toys section and use them as a raft/table/sunbed when I'm at the beach. They're very easy to pack and repack if needing to use more than once, and even more easy to toss in the garbage when done (or donate to local kids or families). In Tahiti, the only place I actually used mine was the last day at the Radisson beach. I was too busy snorkeling at all the other places. But Wendy is right, at the motu, they would be wonderful.

Hi Pacheco

After diligent searches on the internet we found just what you wanted..... one for you and one for your DH !!!! :)

Hmmm...... may be a little difficult to pack but the grey one seems to have a place to hold a Mai Tai !!!

Enjoy your cruise

B & T

Inflatable-Armchair-Lagon-Piscine.jpg.58cc8f5c709ac2559a1c1ea44fe54da4.jpg

Inflatable-Armchair-Lagon-Piscine-Fauteuil-Nautique.jpg.21bbb1b1a66dba938b0d64be6cee4ebc.jpg

Is there a (hand) pump available on the ship to blow up an inflatable?

We are full of hot air (LOL) but I prefer not to use it all up on the floats.

I wish I could help you, but have no idea if there was a hand air pump on board. We inflate the old fashioned way, or, give a couple bucks to a shop on land, usually at the beach, which rents rafts or dive stuff. They usually have air.

I know there are dive tanks aboard the PG and they require air. You may want to ask someone at the marina if they would be willing to spare some air. I just don't know if it's cool (OK) to have the guests walking on gangplanks or being on tenders with inflated rafts. I guess you could claim it's your safety device!

Wendy,

You mentioned coverups for in the water. What kind of coverups and why these as opposed to waterproof sunblocks? The closest we have ever been to the tropics is Hawaii in October and November, so the sunburn situation is hard for us to imagine. I'm planning to try to get something of a base here before we leave. DH, who grew up in the Mediterrean but has more olive skin as opposed to my very Scottish-English pink hue, thinks I'm silly???

I think Wendy is referring to rashguards - do an internet search and you will find plenty of them.

We bought ours from Lands End. Another good source is Sierra Trading (discounts if you can find your size)

Lots of folks bring rash guards. I just meant a t-shirt. Always wear one in the water so your back doesn't get roasted. I have a tight-fitting one that I put aside for this purpose. I even wash it with RIT Sunguard to make give it some sunscreen properties of its own.

I also wouldn't bother trying to get a "base". I doubt that really works. Just cover up well--take a couple of hats as well. I also always take a loose, long-sleeved shirt to wear when I'm out and about. Despite having pretty good skin, I have a sun allergy, so I have to be careful or I break out in hives.

The nice thing about the rashguards is that they have built-in UV protection - some of them "allegedly" really high. We bought long sleeve. They are light as a feather and easy to pack. They dry almost instantaneously too.

The sun in FP is the strongest we've ever encountered -- even if you do not normally burn, you will without strong SPF -- use the highest you can find and apply often. Not sure if the lobster night is still served the evening of the motu picnic (Sun. for 7 day cruises) but some would joke that there were lots of lobster-red people in the dining room after trying to start on their tan at the motu; kinda funny but no fun. Seriously.

:)Thanks everyone--we'll do it. I just remembered that my office partner wears odd looking head to toe garments in the water from some sunguard website that protect her whole body. However, she takes these to California Sierra mountain lakes which are MUCH colder than we anticipate in the South Pacific!

Archived