Win a free cruise...but not really free

The taxes and fees are the port fees and the taxes and the government fees. When a cruiseline shows a price, it includes the port fees/taxers, then shows the add on government fees. Most people don't understand that. I will give you an example.

For our Carnival Dream cruise for April 2011, the Carnival website shows the charges as following:

Cat Cabin (for 2) $1998.00

Govt Fees 152.56

Total $2150.56

Our travel agent discounts the cruise, but she doesn't discount the port taxes, so her breakdown is as following

Cabub $1680.00

Port Charges 318.00

Govt Fees 152.56

Total $2150.56

Both come to the exact same rate, but as I said, when a cruise line quotes charges, or shows them on the website, the port charges are included. They are not charging the OP insurance or anything else.

I think the reason they are broken out to TA, is that these charges are considered non-commissionable and agents only get commission on the original cost.

It seems to me Royal Caribbean is not overcharging if the OP were told he had to pay port charges and fees. JMO.

On that cruise the Port Charges are $119.00 and the govt. taxes are $83.71 which is a total of just over $200 per person. Online the quote for the cruise includes the Port Charge so that is the difference in the amount.

Hope you get to go. Congrats!

A 5 day cruise for $200???? WILD HORSES couldn't keep me off that ship!!:p

Yes there are slot machine tournaments on each cruise. Details are in the Compass. The winners of previous slot machine tourneys are entered into the $25,000 prize on this cruise. Hope I win again! Woo Hoo !!

I am in agreement with everyone that we are having to pay port fees, but it still disappointing that a free cruise turns into me having to pay 1/3 of the regular cruise cost.

Archived