foot cramps from the fins!!!

TRESE

I thought it was the rental fins, until I started swimming laps for exercise. Once I started using my own fins & kickboard for a few laps I realized it's hard work if you really kick! So, more exercise or gentle kicking should do it.

Vic

They could be the wrong size for you, if they're too small or too large that could be causing cramps. Have you thought about getting your own set? Maybe try out a pair that has the pocket foot style, where you have a boot that slips in rather than the full foot that you wear barefoot. That might help too.

Laura

you've got the wrong fins and are working too hard. In addition to foot pocket size on some fins, there are also different size blades

A larger blade is harder to move thru the water. Ditto for a stiffer blade then a very flexible one. Some fins even have replaceable stiffeners for just this reason.

Sounds like you want a smaller and or more flex' fin until you build more leg strength.

And remember that a good fin pace should be long slow and steady.

you've got the wrong fins and are working too hard. In addition to foot pocket size on some fins, there are also different size blades

A larger blade is harder to move thru the water. Ditto for a stiffer blade then a very flexible one. Some fins even have replaceable stiffeners for just this reason.

Sounds like you want a smaller and or more flex' fin until you build more leg strength.

And remember that a good fin pace should be long slow and steady.

I had to learn that the hard way. I finally replaced mine with "shorty" fins. Much less strain on the legs and feet.

the full size are good for swimming against the current and scuba, but swimming against the current is seldom encountered snorkeling.

If there are strong currents, the boat wil nearly always meet up with your group at the other end.

I opted for U.S. Divers Hydroflex because they have open, adjustable, heels and they were available in a local store where I could try them on.

Proper fit and comfort are paramount. There are others just as good or maybe even better.

http://www.isnorkel.com/category-exec/category_id/213/nm/Adult-fins

thanks Stevesan.....i think the shorter ones will work for me...I have very strong legs and its ONLY when i use fins that i experience cramps in my feet, not my legs....i checked out that site, i didnt realize they come shorter than the foot long ones you get when you rent equipment!! I will try some on those in May when i go to the Bahamas for a week... Thanks again.

Honestly I rarely wear fins when I snorkel. I have proper dive boots and fins that I use when I scuba dive but I just never find the need to wear fins when snorkelling. There have been times when I've encountered a current but I've always been able to swim and have been fine (and I'm not even a strong swimmer!). So I would say save your money and snorkel without fins :)

Archived