Switching Around Rooms

CBTwi

I am cruising with my parents, my younger brother and my SO

It was originally going to be myself and my SO in a room and my parents and bro in another but I just remembered you have to have someone 25 in the room and SO is just a few months shy

Can I throw lets say Dad in our room reservation but when we get on the ship go back to the original arrangements we had hoped for? I thought I read of people switching rooms to give their kids their own etc... is this common?

Thanks!

I am cruising with my parents, my younger brother and my SO

It was originally going to be myself and my SO in a room and my parents and bro in another but I just remembered you have to have someone 25 in the room and SO is just a few months shy

Can I throw lets say Dad in our room reservation but when we get on the ship go back to the original arrangements we had hoped for? I thought I read of people switching rooms to give their kids their own etc... is this common?

Thanks!

You only need someone 25 in a cabin if there is someone under 21. Are you under 21?

Very common, if Dad just goes to the desk in the lobby they can switch his room key to the other room.

They wont ask questions or anything if he wants to switch what room he goes into?

Thanks for the help guys! I was trying to book our room and I'm like aw ****, I forgot all about that! haha. That would be good if dad could get his card changed or else that could get a little... weird :-\ having access to the room... hahahahaha Kidding.

Good to know it's cool, or else I was about to be very annoyed :P

I have done it several times for my son and his friend. We will be cruising again next month and will be switching rooms once we board. My son and his friend this year are 19.

As long as you are a responsible person I don't see anything wrong with it. Even when I made my reservations thru Carnival.com the representative told me alot of people do the same thing.

I vote go for it!!

I booked our next cruise within the last week or so, and the PVP I spoke with said that our kids could be booked in a separate room from the get-go, rather than having to fool around with switching cabin cards, etc. She said that as long as we were within a certain number of doors of each other then it was no problem.

So, maybe if you called and talked to them they could book you in the set-up you prefer rather than having to change room keys, etc.

This is the first time that I booked with a PVP instead of doing it myself online, and I have to say I rather liked it. She was very helpful. And I'm one of those obnoxious Gen-Xers who would prefer to do everything online or via email, I hate having to actually talk to someone.

Thanks so much everyone! I just booked both rooms

My dad will just go to the other room and he can deal with the getting a new key card if he wants to. Worse comes to worst he will just be using his card for everything except getting into his room, there are 2 others who will let him in :P No Big

Thanks so much guys! 108 days till cruise to the Bahamas! Yay!

Glad you got it figured out. Just an fyi, we were able to book my 18 year old nephew and 16 year old son in a room close to ours. Not a problem.

I wished we had split my husband and I up with the kids since we are both past cruisers and eligible for more discounts than the boys. So far the boys have rec'd $30 each in obc using my son's residency rate.

There is always an angle...

Glad you got it figured out. Just an fyi, we were able to book my 18 year old nephew and 16 year old son in a room close to ours. Not a problem.

I wished we had split my husband and I up with the kids since we are both past cruisers and eligible for more discounts than the boys. So far the boys have rec'd $30 each in obc using my son's residency rate.

There is always an angle...

Hmm

Do you think if we all went down to the help desk and said we wanted to move 1 person to another room that it shouldn't be a problem? I mean, it would be the same price no matter which room the 5th person was in... would they just make the switch? Our rooms are right next door to each other

Hmm

Do you think if we all went down to the help desk and said we wanted to move 1 person to another room that it shouldn't be a problem? I mean, it would be the same price no matter which room the 5th person was in... would they just make the switch? Our rooms are right next door to each other[/quote

I don't have enough experience to answer that, but i can't imagine they wouldn't mind. Or just swap keys and use cash to put down on the S & S cards so you don't need to worry about Credit Card Payments...

Hmm

Do you think if we all went down to the help desk and said we wanted to move 1 person to another room that it shouldn't be a problem? I mean, it would be the same price no matter which room the 5th person was in... would they just make the switch? Our rooms are right next door to each other[/quote

I don't have enough experience to answer that, but i can't imagine they wouldn't mind. Or just swap keys and use cash to put down on the S & S cards so you don't need to worry about Credit Card Payments...

Yeah.. it's kinda messy with the credit card stuff. I probably made it more difficult on myself hahaha. SO booked the room for him and I (and I guess.. temporarily.. Dad) but since my parents are paying for me as a birthday present Im gonna give him the money for Dad and I.. he pays for himself.. and Mom booked the room for her and my brother (well I did it for her) on her card..

I'm a horrible family travel agent! I complicate things! :P We'll probably hit the desk on the first day and see if the lines arent atrocious

A little off topic but maybe someone can answer for me

For the S&S card, for each person can you link their S&S account with their own credit card?

We do this a lot.

Done it on NCL, Disney, and Carnival cruise lines.

The only person we tell is the steward.

What we do is go to guest services and ask for duplicate keys for the people Switching rooms.

So the person who is registered in cabin a sleeps in cabin b and carries an extra key.

Same thing for the other person.

One key is ID and one is just for the door.

We do this a lot.

What we do is go to guest services and ask for duplicate keys for the people Switching rooms.

So the person who is registered in cabin a sleeps in cabin b and carries an extra key.

Thats a good idea!

Can you just ask for an extra key? Or do you have to say you lost it etc...

Thanks for the info!

We do this a lot.

I may sound really slow here.. but why tell the steward? (Im sure theres an obvious reason I'm oblivious to haha I just feel the need to be ALL KNOWING haha)

Thats a good idea!

Can you just ask for an extra key? Or do you have to say you lost it etc...

Thanks for the info!

Don't say you lost it, the original won't be valid. Just ask for an extra. All four of us got keys for 2 rooms.

Our situation was the exact opposit of most here. We wanted one adult one teen in each of the 2 rooms we had. It was mistakenly booked by our agent so that both teens were in one room and both adults in another.

Once on board we went to the pursers desk and moved one adult & one kid in each room and got extra keys so we could get into each others rooms.

I don't understand why you can't book it the way you want it to start with. If you are the one who is under 21 no big deal if you book a cabin without someone who is 25 as long as you are in close proximity to your parents. If SO is over 21 then that person is not required to be in a cabin with someone who is over 25. Perhaps I missed something here but if not I would call Carnival back and see if they would just change the booking the way you want them to start with rather than having to take time to do all the key/cabin switching once onboard.

Don't say you lost it, the original won't be valid. Just ask for an extra. All four of us got keys for 2 rooms.

Our situation was the exact opposit of most here. We wanted one adult one teen in each of the 2 rooms we had. It was mistakenly booked by our agent so that both teens were in one room and both adults in another.

Once on board we went to the pursers desk and moved one adult & one kid in each room and got extra keys so we could get into each others rooms.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I called about it and they couldnt switch it because it's ES and would cost $50 to switch or something??? so we'll just do what you recommended on board :D

You can go to Customer Relations and change rooms once onboard. The "25 or older" is just for booking purposes. My kids always have their own rooms, even when they were 13 and 15. I am chaperoning a senior trip on Carnival, and for "booking purposes" they have to book an adult with a minor whose parents are NOT ONBOARD. Once onboard, we are customizing our room assignments to put the kids in rooms of their own. Call customer service. They will tell you how to do this.

• 1 month later...

Can you also do this between different bookings? Here's my situation: Me, my husband, DS-18, and DD-15 have two "connecting" cabins on an upcoming cruise. Some friends of ours are considering going that have two daughters. We now want to invite one of our son's friends so he can hang with a guy and not 3 girls.;) Unfortunately, we couldn't add a 3rd person to either of our cabins because they are both doubles (won't even do a roll away). So, our friends are booking a double and a triple with the idea that our daughter will share a cabin with their two daughters and my son's friend will share his cabin. So, basically we're switching between different booking numbers. Will this work? What's the best way to handle the room keys and S&S cards?

Archived