Freedom 6 day Western in January

rksmom

I'm looking at booking this for my daughters and I (20 & 13) for next Jan. I have a couple of questions: Any opinions as to whether this is a good itinary for both age groups. Also I would probably be booking ocean view Riviera deck, any opinions on these rooms?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sandi:)

We were on this itinerary last November. The itinerary is very good. Lots of activities are available in all three ports for you and your daughters.

We had an outside cabin on the Riviera Deck (Deck 1). The room is pretty large, and it is a short walk up the stairs to the Lobby Deck, or a short elevator ride to the pool deck.

On benefit about being on Deck 1 is that after being ashore, you board on Deck 0. Instead of waiting for an elevator to take you back to your deck, it is faster just to take the stairs!

We did this cruise last year for our first time cruising. The only thing I would possibly be concerned with at this time frame would be the water temp. Might still be around 72-ish degrees. Which for most is fine, but for some is too cool. We did this trip in April.

This is a great itinerary - my son and I sailed this past September, he was 12 at the time. Great ports, plenty of excursion and shopping options, plus the Freedom is a great ship! Crowded lido restaurant sometimes, but that was the only negative, and I consider that minor.

We did the stingrays, hell, and turtle farm excursion on Grand Cayman - our favorite excursion ever. Water might be a bit colder in January, but would still be a good time. Did Mystic Mountain in Jamaica - nice pool area and bobsled ride there.

Thanks again everyone.

Florida Tim & Ellanora - 72F in the water would be great for us that time of year. In our neck of the woods January temps run between -15 to -30 C ( 5 to -22F).:eek:

Ellanora, any pics from Jamaica?

Sandi

Thanks again everyone.

Ellanora, any pics from Jamaica?

Sandi

Sure thing, though I only have a few.

The infinity pool from Mystic Mountain, you can see the ship in the port below:

DSC01876.JPG

DSC01878.JPG

The slide (my son loved it):

DSC01877.JPG

View of the chairlift heading up to the top of Mystic Mountain:

DSC01862.JPG

I don't have a good picture of the bobsled, sadly, but the track runs around the pool area and through the forest area of the mountainside. It was great fun. I think there is also a zipline that can be done from the top. Also has a little museum-type display of some Jamaican history (though I only remember the part about the Appleton Rum :p), a gift shop, and a restaurant. We didn't eat there (prefer the FREE ship food) but it looked nice.

Price to do the excursion is exactly the same through Carnival as it is if you go there privately, plus Carnival includes the bus ride over and back so you don't have to find your own taxi.

Archived