Amalfi or Capri

schnauzersrule

Do you mean the Amalfi coast versus Capri? It should be easy to visit Capri by hydrofoil from Sorrento - makes a very pleasant day trip. You could do the Amalfi coast by public bus or private driver, and it would probably include a stop in the town of Amalfi. Both choices would have alot of lovely scenery and make a nice day trip.

As you might of gathered with all those that read your post, but didnt respond..that it is difficult to choose one or another, so we cant recommend a clear cut option for you

If you decide to go to Capri, I would do it your 1st day

as you can enjoy a full day and not worry about making it back to

the ship, if there are any ferry issues.

While on Capri

I highly suggest that you wander to Chiesa di San Michele

http://www.chiesa-san-michele.com/lg/en/index.htm

and of course the Blue Grotto.

Strolling town sipping limoncello is wonderful...here's some info on limoncello that we have on our travel website...

http://ourpassportstamps.com/Beverages.html

it was a highlight for us.

Amalfi Coast is a wonderful drive...however if you get carsick or have a fear of heights it might not be for you.

Herculaneum..I would do this the 2nd day but you should be up and out very early find out the tender schedule for this early in the morning

I believe Herculaneum open sat 830am ..I'm not on my home computer..where I have the train schedule...when I'm back home I would be willing to send it to you..the Sorrento Tourist Board send it to me 3 weeks ago.

Sorry for not being clear. Yes, I meant the Amalfi coast. We plan to do Herculaneum the 2nd day. Any info you have re: train schedules would be greatly appreciated. Getting up early is no problem for us. We were leaning on utilizing the ship's excursion for either Amalfi coast or Capri.

Thank you for your expertise.

I know I fell in love with Amalfi(coast that is) while we were there. Had a private driver and he was great...and easy on the eyes. I cannot wait to return and I think I would still go back to Amalfi instead of Capri

I would agree with the last post.

I love the Amalfi Coast.

I have traveled the area through a ships excursion and via a private driver.

Both were great experiences and would love to go back again!

Well IMO you could easily do Capri on your own - if a tour suits you better, do the coast. Just FYI the sea between Sorrento and Capri can be a bit rough, esp. on the hydofoil - on one trip, we thought we were on the, excuse me, barf boat. Go over to the ports part of CC - there will be more info over there. If it were me, I'd chose Capri, just becasue I like roaming around on my own but we have also done a driver on the Amalfi coast and had a wonderful day.

Last Spring, we did Amalfitown by ferry (about an hour ride) from Sorrento, then took the public bus back to Sorrento late in the day. The bus ride along the costal road was one not for the queasy. We did this on a Sunday, Amalfitown was pretty busy but it was a very fun day...

This fall we overnight in Sorrento so were taking the fast ferry to Capri....

Archived