Altun Ha

spongiebob

It's not the easiest place to reach without a guide. There are several excursion services that offer private tours. You can google or bing tours of altun ha for websites. But your ship's excursion may actually provide the best means ensuring you get there in relative comfort and return in time to catch the last tender, so don't dismiss it as an "overpriced" option.

I don't know what cruise line you are going on but we went to Belize on Carnival last October and did one of their excursions to Altun Ha. Its about 45 - 60 minutes from the pier. Don't remember seeing any private companies offering tours but I'm sure you could find one.

We did the River Wallace and Altun Ha tour and it was AWESOME. By far one of the best excursions we have been on.

I have posted about our expereince in Belize last July. I am not sure about a private van, but they could offer a discount/group rate if you are booking for 14 people.

----

We used Belize Cruise excursions for $42.50/person - lunch was included.

We really enjoyed our excursion to Altun Ha. The timing details that I was concerned about were not an issue – we were back in plenty of time to tender back to the ship and in fact there was no line waiting for us! There was some time for shopping before the tour – but we do not tend to buy much on our vacations. Afterwards, it would be tight to schedule in shopping time.

I will also say it was hot – I knew it would be, but wow! I was saddened that our bus was NOT well air conditioned. It was an old school bus and more like a light, coolish breeze, than actual air conditioning – and we were sitting in the front row (not necessarily a good idea given the VERY narrow roads of Belize – much like playing chicken!).

Our driver and guide were very friendly; they stopped along the way to get us mangoes – refreshing! I mention the roads, because they are not like our highways, they are narrow, with many potholes, etc; my husband noticed that our driver would chuckle about his passengers white knuckled ride, but he was very capable! The tour of the city on the way to the ruins was informative and relaxing.

The ruins themselves were beautiful – it is great to be able to walk on them – not roped off like so many historical sites. The lunch that followed was also very good – chicken w/rice & beans, and cold lemonade. The grounds were nice – a butterfly hours, some birds, etc. I walked under a mango tree and was swarmed by mosquitoes – despite my bug spray – but was unaffected by bugs at the ruins with my bug repellant.

Would be happy to answer any questions…

Ally

Archived