All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

Saw on The Weather Chan. people in canoes in Charleston today. Just started thinking about being parked at the port, You'd thunk with all those Beamers and Mercedes parked next door, there wouldn't be a chance of them risking those brand new cars in a flood plain, but live and learn. Anybody have knowledge of flooding near the port area, might have to drive the "hunk-of-junk" instead of the good car. TIA

Makes me wonder about all of those cruisers who didn't park in the building. I know it's elevated somewhat but not sure how high the water got.

The water was knee deep in the Market area which is right down the street from the port.

This site has some pictures from yesterday. Check out the kayakers:

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/TheBattery/archives/2012/08/28/stay-up-to-date-on-charleston-flooding-reports

We leave on the Fantasy Friday, get into Charleston after midnight tonight. Hope we can get to the hotel that is downtown.

You should be fine. We are expecting another downpour today but the waters from yesterday have already receeded. We will probably have some flooding again today but should be gone after the rain subsides.

This is a pretty common occurance though. Living in the lowcountry has it's benefits...and it's shortcomings as well.

I hope you enjoy your stay once you get here. :)

Yes, it's called Lowcountry for a reason. :p

I don't know if I'm going to make it another 7+ weeks. Really stressed at work; DD went from unemployed to having two jobs in a week and still has a bunch of wedding arrangements to finalize, so she's stressed out.

The good news is the dress I bought 2 months ago for the wedding (and formal night onboard) now fits very well thanks to Nutrisystems and supreme self-control (boy am I looking foward to Shrimp & Grits at Fleet Landing and a couple of organic beers!). :D

I was dreaming about cruising last night, but I think I was on Miracle. It was huge! But we were sailing from Charleston. Pulled away from the dock and took off like we were in an 18' speed boat.

Have a great cruise, Hockymom, and be sure to check back with us here when you return!

As far as I know, at least from the East Coast & FL, they get a package of channels. It used to be out of Denver, but I think it's now out of Miami.

Channels are very limited. I think they get ESPN, not Fox Sports.

I know I was sitting in the Frog & Onion Pub in Bermuda last October, watching playoff baseball and walked back to the ship, thinking I could see the end of the game in the sports bar or my cabin. Wrong!

Your Gamecocks will probably just have to try to win without you being in the audience. ;)

I read that there was Deli available at the location with pizza. Does anyone know what was offered? Our previous cruises were on larger ships, and my DH loved having the deli sandwiches.

The food offerings are pretty much the same on all the ship, except the larger ones that have specific dining areas, like the Fish & Chips and the new Red Frog Pub on the latest ships and the 2.0 ones.

I almost always have a deli sandwich for lunch. The same sandwiches are offered on all the ships.

Edited by NCTribeFan

This is our first cruise and our first trip to Charleston. We are staying at the Best Western King Charles Inn the night before our cruise on Sept 4, it looks like a beautiful place. Has anyone ever stayed here?

I also have some questions about the cruise. I resently had spinal surgery and my heating pad has become my best friend, but I noticed that heating pads are not allowed. Is there a way I can get around this? I read that you can bring bottled water and sodas on board, where would you carry these, in your luggage? How much cash should we bring for shopping at ports or do they take credit cards?

Beverly, there are comments about the King Charles in here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=628998&page=13

You could try contacting Carnival to see if you could get a medical exception for the heating pad, if your doctor would be willing to provide some sort of documentation. You may have to resort to using those stick-on hot pad things I see in the drug store.

I don't drink bottled water or soda. You're allowed a small amount. Carnival's website gives these details. I believe, like wine, it's supposed to be in your carry on.

I don't read all the threads about checking cases of water. The ship's water isn't the best tasting, but it's right there and it's safe. I just bring a large glass of ice water from the buffet to my cabin at night. If going ashore, I take a small bottle with me.

I never use a debit card in ports because if someone is going to steal your info, they can wipe out your account before you're even aware of it. At least with credit cards you have some fraud protection. Contact your credit card company before you leave and give them the exact dates when you'll be in the various ports.

Don't wear fancy jewelry in port. Actually, I rarely wear jewelry anywhere because it's just advertising that you have something worth being mugged for! What I take is in my purse until I board and is then locked in the safe to be worn at dinner only.

I only take what cash I'll need in port. I take as little as possible.

I don't really "do" shopping, either. I don't buy souvenirs. I don't wear t-shirts. I bought a pareo or two on my first couple of cruises and I still wear them around the pool and at the beach. Other than that, I spend very little in shops.

If I'm doing an independent excursion, I take only what I need to pay for that, plus tip, and whatever I may need to buy food/drinks.

Those stick on heating pads work really well! Regarding $$, i take cash for tips on the ship for room service and i always give extra to room Steward at the beginning of the trip and end. As far. As in port, i'd say give yourself a budget per port. If u r buying souvenirs for others, calculate a per person $ amount. Bahamas u can find shot glasses around $4, t-shirts 3 for $20 deals on lower quality, beach bags 10, etc. honestly I am like the previous poster, I don't waste money on that junk anymore. Kids never wore the shirts, other trinkets end up in a drawer or box or goodwill. I prefer buying authentic stuff and that is hard to find in Bahamas. Calculate about $100- $150 for taxi,food & drinks per port for a couple.+ excursion money. It's really a personal thing but hopefully that gives u an idea.

I know people have asked these TV questions in other (generic) threads, so you may want to try a search.

I rarely watch TV on a cruise and just would never spend enough time in a cabin to be watching movies. I have turned on the tv and watch a little bit of whatever movie was on and then ended up taking a nap! :o

Afraid I can't help you. I just really don't spend my time in the cabin.

I haven't read anything saying you could hook up a laptop.

Any recent Platinum sailors who can tell me if the gift was the binoculars?

I understand there's a long ramp to board Fantasy in Charleston. Are there any alternatives for the handicapped? I'm not sure my DW could hand the ramp. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I can't remember how long the ramp was since it was 2 years ago but I do know that you have to go up alot of steps. Although I'm pretty sure there was an elevator there somewhere.