Formal Nights/Dinner attire on HAL

NDRB

I was wondering if the dress on the SA cruises might be a tad more casual than that on other cruises?

We didn't really notice more casual dress on the Alaskan cruise we took, but are rather hoping to minimize the amount of fancier clothing we'll need to take so as to make room for all that winterstyle clothing it sounds like we should be packing! (We'll be cruising on HAL in early April...)

Nina

Nina,

My sister and brother in law were on the Amsterdam over Christmas and New Year and I know they dressed up for the formal nights. My brother in law were his dinner suit (tuxedo) and my sister had some lovely gowns which she took with her.

Often you find with the longer cruises the passengers do dress up more than on a shorter cruise.

Jennie

I was wondering if the dress on the SA cruises might be a tad more casual than that on other cruises?

We didn't really notice more casual dress on the Alaskan cruise we took, but are rather hoping to minimize the amount of fancier clothing we'll need to take so as to make room for all that winterstyle clothing it sounds like we should be packing! (We'll be cruising on HAL in early April...)

Nina

We did SA on the Amsterdam in October and formal nights were very formal. You will always see people underdressed but for the most part people were very well dressed.

blossie m: figure 2 formal nights every 7 days-I'd guess you'd be looking at 4 formal nights on a 16 day cruise. We had 3 on a 12-day cruise a while back and 5 formal nights on our 21-day South America/Antarctica cruise in 2003-2004.

My recollection is that the majority of passengers took formal night to heart on our SA cruise-lots of interesting and stunning outfits, more so than usual.

Hope this helps!

[My recollection is that the majority of passengers took formal night to heart on our SA cruise-lots of interesting and stunning outfits, more so than usual. ]

Yikes, I'd better get out there and do some serious shopping then!!!

It's just a good thing that we're allowed 70 lbs in our suitcases instead of the (measley) 50 dosmetic flight lbs....

Nina

HAL does tend to be more formal than some other cruise lines. Just remember that no one but you will remember if you wear the same formal outfit on the 5th night that you worn on the 2nd formal night. I always "repeat" on long cruises, and stick to a velvet or chiffon skirt or slacks and various dressy sequined tops. This saves a lot of luggage space and weight. Once you get around the Horn, you can pack away your cold weather clothing and get a head-start on packing for home.

I agree with Splinter that no-one remembers what someone else has worn on a previous occasion.

I have a long black skirt which I always bring and I just wear different evening tops with that one skirt. It is so easy and does save a lot of packing.

Jennie

Archived