PWS Tour vs Ferry

indiesmom

Currently we are planning to take the ferry from Whittier to Valdez. We are also planning on doing the Prince William Sound tour out of Whittier the day before the ferry to Valdez. Now I am wondering if doing both would be overkill--Will we see the same things on both trips? Will there be a lot of duplication? Any advice would be appreciated. If you think we should only do one, which one should we do -- the ferry or the PWS tour? :):)

Currently we are planning to take the ferry from Whittier to Valdez. We are also planning on doing the Prince William Sound tour out of Whittier the day before the ferry to Valdez. Now I am wondering if doing both would be overkill--Will we see the same things on both trips? Will there be a lot of duplication? Any advice would be appreciated. If you think we should only do one' date=' which one should we do -- the ferry or the PWS tour? :):)[/quote']

The ferry route goes directly from Whittier to Valdez while the boat tours explore such areas as College Fjord, Esther Passage, Barry Arm, and Blackstone Bay. None of these are on the ferry route so it's well worth an extra trip.

The ferry runs on a schedule on a route and will not take you to the scenic areas or the wildlife.

Depending on which tour you are on, you'll get right up to the glaciers and the tour boat will slow down or get closer to the wildlife, if spotted.

Only a small portion of the trip will be duplicated.

They are completely different and if you happen to be on the fast ferry, you see even less. At least with the regular ferry run, they do have a naturalist on board, who will point out a few things. I have been on this run where they also did a short detour. But, in no way is this even remotely comparable to any boat tour.

Thanks everyone for responding! Based on your responses, we will go ahead with our plan and do both. I hope the ferry is entertaining and provides some interesting sights. Can anyone comment on this? We are planning on taking the slower ferry (6 1/2 hours).

Thanks everyone for responding! Based on your responses' date=' we will go ahead with our plan and do both. I hope the ferry is entertaining and provides some interesting sights. Can anyone comment on this? We are planning on taking the slower ferry (6 1/2 hours).[/quote']

First off, the ferry is transportation, first. Yes they do have a naturalist on board, but it isn't going to be a tour boat. When I am in Valdez, I am also sure to be on the Stan Stephens boat tours, again just excellent, and what people don't seem to realize, is so much is seen on the Alaska waters, that is always unpredictable, and never a duplication of anything. I am frequently out as many times as I can get. My trip this season will be on 4 boat tours- out of Seward, Valdez, Whittier, and Homer. All will be GREATLY enjoyed by me (all repeaters as well). Vastly different from each other.

BQ do you mind sharing what boat tours you are taking at these ports? Are you taking PWS tours out of both Valdez and Whittier? What tour are you taking out of Homer? Also, I could really use a recommendation for somewhere to stay in Homer and Valdez.

Archived