princess daphne

seabourndt

Hi Everyone I am still here!

I think I'm the first of all of us to travel on the Princess Daphne in Jan 2011. Only 5 months to go and we can't wait! I will keep you all posted on my travels whilst on board. I think it's going to be a real 'classic cruising' experience. I am still waiting to get our exact port terminals so I can gauge how far we will be from all the action. I've started my action plan on what to pack, so exciting :-)

If anyone has any info on her , please post it.

Chat soon.

Kruzermum,

Yes, we will be looking forward to your report after your cruise. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. I guess you are daydreaming about the warm, sunshiny weather you will get in Asia, while you plod through a frosty, cold Canberra winter!

Bye for now, Lesley (Matilda)

Hi Everyone.

Three of us are booked on the Hong Kong to Japan to HongKong trip on 6 March 2011.

Two from Perth and one from Canberra. We have all cruised before but never on the Princess Daphne.

How many sleeps now?

NB

Hi Bakbran x 3,

Welcome aboard! Well, Perth is Funchal and Athena territory - are they among the ships you have cruised on before? We think one reason that the Princess Daphne will be so enjoyable is because of her size - much more friendly than the huge cruise ships.

I counted up - 201 sleeps!!

Cheers, Lesley (Matilda)

• 3 weeks later...

I love older classic ships and have been lucky to have sailed some that have since been scrapped.

Dont care for these floating jumbo hotels.

I am considering an Australian cruise for 2012...and was thinking P&O instead of one of the North American based ships sent down under.

But looking at CIC.....my interest was sparked with the Athena...then the Daphne. Amazingly I almost booked the Daphne years ago when she had her last refit under the Costa Flag. Saw her freshly painted in St Lucia.

May consider her for my 2012 cruise adding to my list of classics like the Stella Solaris, the Carla C, Regent Spirit and the Oddyseus.

Hope to read some more posts!

Thanks

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you have enjoyed travelling on quite a few of the more traditional ships.

And how is everyone else on this thread? Less than 6 months to our sailing in March! Yaayy!

We (husband, Des, and I) are just back from a lovely river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam with Scenic, the 100% Australian company. We had a wonderful time - thoroughly enjoyed all the beautiful towns and cities along the way. We also had 3 nights in Prague before the cruise, and that is a great place to see, with Charles Bridge, the Castle, and the Old Square. We are very well used to walking on cobblestones now!

We got home yesterday, and having done the unpacking, laundry, and mail-opening, we are settling back now and waiting for the March cruise.

Cheers, Lesley and Des

hi matilda hubby and i are going on the daphne january 13th 2011. a bit worried as we cant find any feedback from any source on the ship. We have done many cruises but after our last one on the costa alegra we swore we would never go on a small ship again. but here we go again. Hope that this one will be better. Cheers from opshop.

Welcome aboard - January 13th - you might be on the Princess Daphne at the same time as Kurzermum. She is going in January, but don't know what date. What date, Kruzermum?

Anyway, you surely will have a wonderful time. What went wrong with the Costa Alegra cruise?

Matilda

Hi Matilda The Costa Alegra is an italian shipping line when we booked the cruise we didnt realise that there would be only 60 ausie and uk people on board. The cost of everything was in euro and so expensive. No one mixed unless they new each other. The cost of drinks was so expensive and the bars were so small that you couldnt get a seat. The food was good we had no problem with that. At least on the Daphnie it is in ausie currency and i believe a draught bear cost round $5 dollars and that makes hubby happy. i enjoyed our ports of call out of Singapore but i will never travel the costa cruises again. Opshop

Oh, now I understand. It is good to get an idea of what Costa cruises are like, then. When we were on the Funchal (sister ship to Princess Daphne) the drinks prices seemed reasonable, and you know where you are with Aussie currency, so that aspect should be OK. Also, it is nice if everyone mixes. I guess language could be a problem on Costa cruises, though.

Regards, Matilda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are seriously considering booking this cruise (6 March 2011) next week. Although we travel lots, we haven't cruised before - a bit scary. Not sure what to expect. Thought a small ship would be better. We tossed up between this cruise and the Vietnam/Cambodia on 6 Feb. Hopefully, there are still some spaces remaining. Should be an adventure! Eileen :)

Hi Matilda and All,

WOW, not long now folks until we head off to Singapore! I fly out in 3 months and 2 days and then get on the beautiful Princess D on the 24th of Jan for Sail away at midnight.

Op shop you are the cruise before mine, so hopefully you can keep us posted or at least give us a first impression rundown :-)

I still have no idea of what to expect, I'm going to some pretty random exciting places eg Mayanmar and Port Blair ..........anyone been to either?

Just can't wait, hope everyone is well and happy. The Canberra Winter rose it's icy head again on the weekend, we had snow at home for a short while.

Hi Kewarra,

I hope you can find space on the Princess Daphne. It would be great to have you on board with us. Japan etc should be great!

Another couple - good friends of ours - were talking of booking Japan and the Vietnam cruise after it, back-to-back as we are doing, but they seem to have gone cold on the idea last I heard. Oh well.

Kruzermum, 3 months and 2 days to go - terrific! Once it gets to below 100 days it really is getting close. We have to renew our passports and see about visas for China soon.

All the best to everyone - from Matilda (Lesley) and Des.

hi kruuzermum yes we will be on the cruise before you. We have been on a few cruises out of Singapore so have a bit of info to go on. We have never gone on Daphne so this is going to be a bit of how u take it. I just hope it is better than costa will let u know how we go. opshop

seabourndt, I have travelled on Daphne three years ago when she was called Ocean Monarch. As far as I know Classic International has not changed her so much since then.

What was most worth telling of her was her spacious cabins. Most have an L bed configuration, leaving much floor space. The bathroom was one of the largest I have ever travelled, with full bathtube (most cabins have bathtubes). Ample storage space for long cruises.

Other than this, the ship is a classic ship and cannot boast the luxuries of modern mega boxes. But it is very comfortable and tastefully decorated, with a few nice lounges aft and a restaurant with nice sea views. Its pool area also is very large, with many loungers for sunbathing. A wrap around promenade is ideal for strolling or perhaps jogging.

As many people here certainly know, this ship belongs to a duo (Danae and Daphne) that the late magnate J. Carras introduced in the '70s as the 'dream ships', regarded as among the most luxurious cruise ships of that time. It is interesting that those ships were reunited after many years under the Classic International umbrella and took virtually their original names...

All in all, an attractive ship and I believe you are on to a wonderful cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

My partner and I have just booked a cruise on the Princess Daphne to Burma on January 24th.

A few reasons we chose to cruise on this ship. First my partner's name is Daphne. Second we have mostly cruised on the larger more modern ships and thought it would be interesting to try a smaller traditional ship. Third the itineray. Although we have cruised the straits of Malacca, we haven't been to the Andaman Islands neither have we been to Burma so it will be a very interesting cruise.:)

Back in the 1970’s I too was lucky enough to have had the opportunity to travel on these smaller ships namely the Centaur and SS Malaysia between Fremantle and Singapore.

Still wondering if anyone else out there has booked on the Princess Daphne for early 2011?

Hi matilda we are booked on the end of March cruise from Hong Kong back to Singapore. My hubby and I are also keen to find info about the ship and the cruise line. We are based in Darwin and are looking forward to the cruise. We have not yet got to counting the sleeps till we depart!!! :)

Cheers happyg.

Hi Matilda

Sorry it has taken so long with a reply. Was on the Pacific Dawn out of Brisbane in Jan. The service and food was bad. Afteer phone calls and letters and emails to and from P&O. Even went to a sort of P&O feed back and found out I was not the only one. And eveerything said the same thing. After travelling with P&O in the old days when it was English and then the modern times of Carnival, we werre so disappointed that we are reluctant to book with P&O again. Like I said we are not excpecting the Daphne to be glamourous but as long as the food is edible with some sort of service.

Don

Hi happyg I found quite alot of info on the ship, plus photos by looking at MTV Princess Daphne. or MV Princess Daphne reviews when surfing the net. I hope thyis can provide some good info for you. We will be on the same voyage as you.

Cheers Arragon

Hi Everyone,

Nice to see a bit of activity on this thread lately.

I have been looking back through all the posts to get together a list of Princess Daphne passengers. We have, so far -

Jimmy4au and wife, from Perth, on the 28th December cruise from Singapore.

We will all be looking forward ho their review!

Opshop and hubby, on 13th January cruise from Singapore.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kruzermum, from Canberra, on the 24th January cruise from Singapore,

Also Chris@aanet and partner, Daphne, on the same cruise.

Matilda (Lesley and husband, Des) from Melbourne, on the 6th March Hong Kong/Japan/Hong Kong cruise and 23rd March Hong Kong to Singapore cruise, back-to-back

Also First Cruise (Lea and Shayne) from Victoria, on the same 2 back-to-back cruises

Also Arragon and lovely lady, from Perth, on the same 2 back-to-back cruises

Debandjo (Debra and daughter), from Windsor, England, on the 6th March Hong Kong/Japan/Hong Kong cruise.

Also Don Barnes and ?, from Brisbane, on the same cruise.

Also Bakbran (3 people - 2 from Perth, 1 from Canberra), on the same cruise.

Happyg and hubby, from Darwin, on the 23rd March cruise from Singapore.

What a great list! Have I missed anyone?

I have also been counting the sleeps. We (6th March people) are nearly down to double digits - 105 sleeps!

Don Barnes - sorry to read about the crook cruise on Pacific Dawn. The Princess Daphne is bound to be better.

Cheers, Lesley

Archived