Stopping at Kluane NP on Haines Highway Drive

bluetiger9192

We are in port in Haines in early June from 6:30am-9pm. We have a car rented and were going to drive the Haines Highway from Haines to Haines Junction. I saw on a map that the Canadian Kluane National Park is just a few miles north of Haines Junction. Would be have time to stop and explore this park? If so, what should we do at Kluane. (We don't plan on doing anything else in the town of Haines.) Thanks.

Kluane is a wilderness park - the only way in is on foot. The attraction for highway travelers, as well as the beauty of Kluane Lake, is usually Sheep Mountain. Parks Canada has spotting scopes set up to watch the hillside, which in June may have hundreds of Dall sheep (it's the highest mountain sheep concentration in the world). That's 45 miles west of Haines Junction.

We did this drive from Haines and it was spectacular! I am terrible with names, but I know our highlights included a stop at a native village for yummy fry bread, a stop at a lake, and a stop to climb a path leading to the foot of a rocky morraine, former glacier. We toured the visitor center in haines Junction and ate at the deli adjancent to the center. It was a long round trip, but very scenic and beautiful.

I am terrible with names, but I know our highlights included a stop at a native village for yummy fry bread, a stop at a lake, and a stop to climb a path leading to the foot of a rocky morraine, former glacier.

That was the village of Klukshu, Dezadeash Lake and the Rock Glacier Trail - excellent choices :)

Archived