Pirates off African coast?

john39

We are booked on Costa Delizioza Dubai/Savona and was wondering if anyone has heard what steps (if any) Costa has taken re the possible threat of piracy. The region around the Horn of Africa, where the ship will pass, seems to be where a lot of activity has occurred in the past. I note that several cruise lines (Fred Olson, Seven Seas, MSC, Seabourne and others) have amended itineraries to avoid the area. British newspapers report passengers on P&O Aurora and Arcadia were told to avoid going on deck and to draw the curtains in their cabins after dusk as they passed through the Gulf of Aden.

On our recent cruise aboard the Costa Atlantica from Fort Lauderdale to Quebec City, a presentation was made in the Caruso Lounge regarding the Costa fleet. One of the topics that was brought up was the ongoing danger of piracy in the Arabian Sea.

It was mentioned that surveillance equipment and contact with naval ships were sufficient safeguards to any possible pirate confrontation.

But nothing was mentioned beyond that, so as a passenger I am left to wonder what security measures would be implemented if pirates were successful in actually boarding a vessel.

The Allegra (30K Tons) and the Luminosa (sister ship of Deliziosa) both transited the Gulf of Aden in the past few days, both without incident.

No shipping / cruise line will make public the security steps they take in regards to the pirate threat (would only make the passengers more nervous if they knew).

The international naval forces are concentrated in the Aden area and also conduct convoy movements through the area.

Don't worry, just enjoy your cruise.

Ron

PS. Why not dress up as Long John Silver and just walk about saying Shiver m' Timbers, so if the ship is take the pirates will think you are one of them. :+)

PS. Why not dress up as Long John Silver and just walk about saying Shiver m' Timbers, so if the ship is take the pirates will think you are one of them. :+)

:D I'm on this cruise and this is one of the bits I'm most looking forward to. I'll be on deck with my binoculars and camera - I want a pirate photo!

The security presence on board will be slightly higer and they will have measures to defend themselfs from piracy. Yet, it is very rare for any cruise ship to be attacked as cruise ships are huge, the pirates dont mind taking a cargo ship with a crew of 30 but a ship with thousands of people on board is near impossible for them so theirs no need to worry.

Hi this issue/ problem was raised on the P&O Australia Board and some posters have indicated that most cruise ships now have a device called a LRAD deployed.

dscf0319y.jpg

Don't know much about it but the sound it emits can cause pain and discomfort at 300m+ and can burst eardrums if the subject gets closer.

Hopefully, Costa ships also have this deterrent.

Jenny

Hi this issue/ problem was raised on the P&O Australia Board and some posters have indicated that most cruise ships now have a device called a LRAD deployed.

dscf0319y.jpg

Don't know much about it but the sound it emits can cause pain and discomfort at 300m+ and can burst eardrums if the subject gets closer.

Hopefully, Costa ships also have this deterrent.

Jenny

You are correct about the equipment and it's use.

But P&O Oz didn't quite tell you the truth, in fact the equipment is situated right next to the Customer Service Desk to be used against any unruly Aussie passengers. :+)

Ron

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/anti-pirate-weapons-piracy-somalia/

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/10-more-anti-piracy-weapons-for-use-in-somalia/

A "Sponge Round", what the ..., are we now going to wash the Somali pirates before they attack the ships???

Wonder if the "Walking the Plank" is still on the statute books?

Ron

You are correct about the equipment and it's use.

But P&O Oz didn't quite tell you the truth, in fact the equipment is situated right next to the Customer Service Desk to be used against any unruly Aussie passengers. :+)

Ron

HA HA, how unkind. How do you think they know it works against pirates?:rolleyes:

Jenny:)

As noted, the sound equipment is quite effective. You will remember I think it was a P&O liner that was attacked by pirates a few years back. I was actually surprised they were crusing "in the zone" years ago but were able to deter the pirates. Also, the pirates tend to go after slower and low slung ships like break bulk carroers.

I do remember one cruise line flew their passengers to the next port and transited the ship with crew only, but I think it was a smaller cruise ship. As for naval vessels, they are out there, but remember -- there is more than 1 million square miles they must police so can't be everywhere at once, which is what the pirates depend on.:eek:

Archived