Brilliance of the Seas -- Mass at the Vatican, May 30th, 2010

hlajr

Hello. My family and I are very interested in attending mass at the Vatican. We wonder if there might be some advice out there on how to pull that off when we stop in Rome next month. In advance, thank you.

Santa Susanna is the American Catholic church in Rome, and they have a great web site with all the information you need about attending mass at St. Peter's.

Sunday masses are as follows:

Sunday Masses

• 9 AM: Mass for Parish of St. Peters
  • 10:30 AM: Mass at Altar of the Chair (in Latin)
  • 11:30 AM: Mass in Chapel of Blessed Sacrament
  • 12:15 PM: Mass at Altar of the Chair
  • 4 PM: Mass at Altar of the Chair
  • 5 PM: Vespers at the Altar of the Chair followed by Mass at 5:45 PM

http://www.santasusanna.org/popeVatican/basilicas.html

If you are in Rome as a day stop, you can take the train from Civitavechhia to Roma San Pietro station, and walk about 15 mintues from there to the basilica. There's lots of very specific information on how to do this, as well as the train tickets (BIRG), just use the search function.

It is easy to attend mass at St Peter's so long as the Holy Father is not saying Holy Mass. I don't believe he is that day, since it is the first Sunday after Pentecost - not a big day in the church calendar. If he is saying Mass, then Santa Susanna is your best bet for tickets, as the previous poster said. Otherwise, you can just go to Mass. Allow plenty of time to get in and go through security. If Holy Mass is being said in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel I would try and go there. The chapel is beautiful and it is curtained off and guarded from the tourist hoardes, so it will be a more prayful experience. In addition to the posted times you may very well see other masses being offered by visiting priests who are leading pilgrimage groups, especially on Sunday.

Archived