1st time Mex Riviera cruise

Cosmo30068

We just booked the Sapphire Princess for November 27 - calling on Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan & Cabo San Lucas. Since we have never cruised anywhere except the Caribbean, we would appreciate any advice. We booked a Caribe balcony on the port side - hoping we can see the coast on the two sea days south. I have no idea what kind of temps we should expect that time of year. Would like to do some snorkeling on this cruise - we haven't heard great things about the scuba diving options. Would love to hear about your experience!

Your first sea day might be a bit chilly but not cold, 2nd sea day things will be significantly warmer till your last sea day before home....there are a couple of good snorkeling spots in Puerto Vallarta, Cabo is so so and Mazatlan not so much.....We LOVE the Mex Riv and have cruised and land traveled it many times....Lunch in Mazatlan at "Tonys on the Beach" is a must do in my book....Cabo is pretty much only a "party town" since 20 years ago it was only a spot in the sand (not that I don't enjoy it though ;) ), Mazatlan and PV are very old colonial cities with much to see and do......The Cheeky Monkey on the Malecon in PV is excellent for a break in the action when you get tired with BIG $1 margaritas and beers

Thanks for replying - have you ever done the kayak out to Lovers Beach & Los Arcos in Cabo? That looked like it could be fun - or a disaster if the seas are rough. Also, are the seas warm enough to snorkel without a wetsuit in late Nov/early Dec?

I agree with the above poster about the weather. We also love the MR. I love the history involved with Mazatlan & PV. To really see the cultural side of both/either of these ports get with a good tour operator who will show you the area fully. There are several good ones recommended on these boards, but a real favorite is Mazatlan Frank in Mazatlan. Our experiences with him have been wonderful. I can't wait to see him again next week!:D

I also agree about Tony's on the Beach. Yum!

I can't help you with scuba, but the MR water is really not like the Caribbean. We are snorkelers in the Caribbean, but enjoy the MR more for the history and culture. Cabo is the main "water sport" port IMHO. The beaches and beach bars are the "hot spots". Take a tour of any sort (there are water taxis available to hire right near the tender pier) out to see the arch and Lover's Beach. There are also many sail & catamaran charters recommended here that can take you out on the water. Some have snorkeling and sailing tours. Do a search on this forum for more information on those.

We did do a private van tour in Cabo last September through Johann & Sandra. We visited several resorts along the tourist corridor between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. It was a wonderful day. We had a delicious lunch in San Jose del Cabo and stopped at the glass factory on the way home. Good fun!:D

Have a great cruise.:)

It is nice to kayak in Cabo although I like the excursions that go to Chillean Bay better than kayaking right in the bay/marina area. Also, try Solomon's Landing for lunch in Cabo. It is right on the boardwalk in the marina. You will get off the tender and just follow the crowds of people to the boardwalk. Great food and service.

A private tour guide is, indeed, the best way to experience Mazatlan. Otherwise, you may not get a full appreciation of Mazatlan. It's a large city and very industrial.

If your looking for something different.... We took a van north of Cabo about 20 miles and rode ATVs on the beach, in the desert, and up several canyons. Great day. Stopped at the beach for about an hour. Beautiful! With no one but the 6 on our excursion to be seen. It was through Johann & Sandra excursions.

Archived