Fly into Amsterdam or Brussels?

Travelbyboat

Dear friends,

We have booked for an end of August river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. We are thinking of flying in 4-5 days earlier either into Amsterdam or Brussels. I was thinking flying into Brussels and staying there for about 4 nights, taking day trips to Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp and then taking the train to Amsterdam to perhaps stay in the hotel one night and then transfer to the boat for the start of our cruise. What do you recommend and why? Where is it better to spend more time in Brussels or Amsterdam and taking day trips from these cities. I know that most Belgium cities above are far from Amsterdam so commuting daily will be a problem. Thanks!

Hi,

We just returned from our Uniworld Windmills and Tulips cruise. Our cruise started in Amsterdam and we flew in 4 days early to really see the sights. There was so much to do that even a few more days would have been filled for us. I think it all depends upon your level of interest. Although we did not get to Ghent, our cruise stopped in Antwerp and Brugges and we stayed an additional night in Brussles at the end. I could have used at least 2 days in Brugges - it was our favorite city stop on the tour. If your cruise begins in Amsterdam, and you have never been there before - go! Besides Amsterdam itself, you have a quick train ride to Delft, The Hague, Volendam to name just a few. We used Rick Steeves book and found his advice perfect!

Hi, I agree with Meg. We have also just returned from Tulips and Windmills. We spent 3 days pre cruise in Amsterdam and found it was not enough.

Belguim is lovely - especially Brugge but if I had the choice, I would return to Amsterdam for a second time.

We caught a bus out to Volendam and a small boat trip onto Marken and then onto Edem - this took up 1 day. I had actually booked scooters for us to hire - outside of Amsterdam and then tour around the whole area around Volendam but it poured with rain so we took the bus instead - it is very easy to get around. It is a pity we could not use the scooters as there are paths all over which you are able to use.

May I also suggest a early morning visit to the flower auction - it is something that has to be seen to be believed - amazing. If you would like more details on this and the bus numbers etc I would be glad to help you.

In my opinion, choose Amsterdam.

We are doing Amsterdam to Budapest on Scenic in a couple of weeks and decided to spend several days in Brussels pre-cruise as we have done Amsterdam previously. We are using Brussels as a HQ with day trips (via train) planned to Ghent, Antwerp and Ostend. Ostend, on the coast has a neat tram that runs along much of Belgium's coast with a hop on-hop off feature. Because Brussels is a "corporate" town, many of the hotels offer excellent rates for Friday-Sunday nights. For example in one of Trip Advisors top hotels: 3 nights with breakfast for 2 is only 210 euros.

We are doing Amsterdam to Budapest on Scenic in a couple of weeks and decided to spend several days in Brussels pre-cruise as we have done Amsterdam previously. We are using Brussels as a HQ with day trips (via train) planned to Ghent, Antwerp and Ostend. Ostend, on the coast has a neat tram that runs along much of Belgium's coast with a hop on-hop off feature. Because Brussels is a "corporate" town, many of the hotels offer excellent rates for Friday-Sunday nights. For example in one of Trip Advisors top hotels: 3 nights with breakfast for 2 is only 210 euros.

I'm really looking forward to your trip report when you return as Scenic's River Cruises have been receiving some very bad reviews on Australian Travel Blogs. We are planning our trip Ams-Bud in the northern summer of 2011.

Archived