Scooter rental in Florence and Sicily

DanManBob

I recommend you not rent scooters at either one of these places. If you just want to sightsee, they are dangerous and not practical; a lot of central Florence is pedestrian only and you would only be able to ride only on the very busy side streets. In Sicily, the drivers are, quite frankly, crazy and you would be insane to ride a scooter there.

We have private tours in most spots....and will likely rent a car in Sicily, but is there a "scooter" option in either Florence of Sicily (Messina)? Any experience or recommendations?

I can't speak to Sicily but I have been all over the Italian peninsula and you are literally taking your life in your hands if you ride a scooter. In Italy (and anyone who has been there will agree) traffic laws are not really carved in stone. They are sort of suggestions to be ignored as needed. I can tell you I have almost been run over by Cinque Cento's (Little Fiat 500's) on the sidewalks in Rome!! Craziest traffic on the planet. You have been forewarned!! Having said that , I sure hope you enjoy your trip. Florence is my most favorite city on earth!!

Cheers, Kenn

I can't speak to Sicily but I have been all over the Italian peninsula and you are literally taking your life in your hands if you ride a scooter. In Italy (and anyone who has been there will agree) traffic laws are not really carved in stone. They are sort of suggestions to be ignored as needed. I can tell you I have almost been run over by Cinque Cento's (Little Fiat 500's) on the sidewalks in Rome!! Craziest traffic on the planet. You have been forewarned!! Having said that , I sure hope you enjoy your trip. Florence is my most favorite city on earth!!

Cheers, Kenn

So true, and sadly funny! Was driven to the airport in Rome by the owner of the B&B where we stayed. Lanes? Who needs lanes on the road? They just make them up where needed! Stay off the scooters!

Cheers, Kenn

Thanks......as a side note, we are taking a group of in-laws to San Antonio for a short visit in June. This will include a stop in your home town of New Braunfels....very nice place.

Thanks......as a side note, we are taking a group of in-laws to San Antonio for a short visit in June. This will include a stop in your home town of New Braunfels....very nice place.

Outstanding!! Glad to have you in the area. I am a retired AF guy who has loved the SA area since I first started coming down here in 1971 so I was thrilled to end up here Great cost of licving and wonderful weather. Grew up in Chicago so I don't do cold anymore. What are you coming to see in NB?? Gonna do some tubing??

Cheers, Kenn

Outstanding!! Glad to have you in the area. I am a retired AF guy who has loved the SA area since I first started coming down here in 1971 so I was thrilled to end up here Great cost of licving and wonderful weather. Grew up in Chicago so I don't do cold anymore. What are you coming to see in NB?? Gonna do some tubing??

Cheers, Kenn

Probably some tubing if our "not that young" group is up to it.

Ladies will visit San Marcos outlet mall on I-35 also. Other places on our itinerary include Fredericksburg, LBJ Ranch, SA Missions (including The Alamo, of course), Riverwalk, Mexican Market, etc.

Probably some tubing if our "not that young" group is up to it.

Ladies will visit San Marcos outlet mall on I-35 also. Other places on our itinerary include Fredericksburg, LBJ Ranch, SA Missions (including The Alamo, of course), Riverwalk, Mexican Market, etc.

Ahh the San Marcos malls! we live on the far north side of NB so we are really almost in San Marcos. That's where we shop and go to the movies. Nice college town! I don't do much tubing as I hatet eh cold water!! And it is cold as it comes out of the 125 foot level of Canyon Lake!! Make sure you try out Torre de Pietro and Grapecreek wineries if you imbibe the gift of the vine. Torre di Peitro has a fantastic white calle Chiarra de Luna (shadow of the moon). And Grapecreek has some really nice Red wines. I take you guys are in TX somehwere as well!!??

Kenn

Unless you are a very experienced scooter rider and you have riden in the congested cities in Italy (and survived). Do not even think of renting and riding a scooter there. All prevoius posts relating to this are correct!!

Traffic rules in Italy are merely a suggestion. It is up to the individual to determine how they may apply at a given moment.

Archived