Trip Insurance - Who has filed a claim?

forevercruising1

Why would you have to send the check back to Travelex. It would seem that you paid a premium for extra coverage over and above your primary health coverage. Did Travelex charge you a lower policy price because you had primary coverage than they would have if you had no other insurance?

There was a thread earlier about this exact subject, and I still say ... if you pay for auxiliary travel insurance, and then get reimbursed by both providers, that second check from the travel insurer is your's to keep. You paid the extra premium, didn't you?

Some people felt that was dishonest ... I don't think it is.

It's a different issue if say you are in an automobile accident and the other party's insurance pays your medicals. Then, yes, if your provider sends you a check, you have an obligation to return it. You're benefiting twice from the same event, without paying anything additional for the privilege.

I have very good sick benefits at work. I get full pay for up to 40 weeks in any given year that I am out on sick leave. Of course, the company's medical department will keep in touch with my doctors in such a case ... to ensure the absence is legitimate, but as long as it is, I will receive my full pay each week. I also have a disability policy which I purchased independently that pays me a much smaller daily stippend if I am out of work due to a legitimate accident or illness.

Thankfully, I only needed to avail myself of these benefits once in the 27 years I've been with my current employer. I was out for close to four months following a parachuting accident. I got my regular paycheck, plus the stippend from the secondary disability carrier, for the entire period. What's wrong with that? I paid for that extra coverage, didn't I?

Blue skies ...

--rita

There was a thread earlier about this exact subject, and I still say ... if you pay for auxiliary travel insurance, and then get reimbursed by both providers, that second check from the travel insurer is your's to keep. You paid the extra premium, didn't you? <clip ....>

--rita

Actually, rita, it depends on what you agreed to when you purchased the insurance (see the terms and conditions page of the policy). When purchasing insurance, you agree to their terms and conditions) All of the policies I've purchased state that they will coordinate benefits with other carriers. In plain English, if you suffered a $100 loss, and the primary carrier pays $80, the secondary carrier is only obligated to pay the remaining $20.

You can fuss all you want that "that's not right", but if the T&C specify coordination of benefits, that's what you agreed to, and that's what is fair.

I would agree if that were the terms of the contract. I would never buy a trip insurance policy that had a coordinating benefits. I want my policy to pay over and above all others. If it had a coordinating clause, I would expect to pay much less as the risk to the insurance company is much smaller.

I would agree if that were the terms of the contract. I would never buy a trip insurance policy that had a coordinating benefits. I want my policy to pay over and above all others. If it had a coordinating clause, I would expect to pay much less as the risk to the insurance company is much smaller.

Exactly. And that's how I purchase all of my "auxiliary" policies.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived