Trip Insurance - Who has filed a claim?

forevercruising1

Hello, all!

We are debating which company to book our travel insurance through and would very much like to know from those who have had need of filing a claim, (1) which company you filed with, and (2) were you pleased with the results?

BTW: We are not considering HAL insurance -- just independent providers.

Thanks, in advance, for your replies!

We used TravelGuard - Don't remember the exact year, but it involved the American Airlines pilot strike. Since we were traveling during President's Week, we could not get another flight to meet our cruise ship when our flight was canceled due to the strike. We ended up getting all our money back for the flight and cruise. Would use TravelGuard again.

Long story made short: Booked a cruise on the Pride of Aloha for Oct 2004. Shortley after booking my only daughter informed us that she and her husband were expecting their first child (our first grand-child), due early Nov. We decided to take the cruise hoping the baby would be born after we returned. Daughter began to have complications, so we canceled. TravelGuard paid all imcluding pre and post cruise hotel and rental cars booked through PriceLine and non refundable. Easy and quick payment.

BTW: Duaghter delivered a healthy baby boy now three months old. Life is good.

You're absolutely right! The best-laid plans can be dashed in a moment by severe illness, injury, or death of a loved one. The investment in a cruise (along with its associated flights, hotel stays and the like) is far too great for me to risk having to absorb if something goes wrong. I have never had to file a claim, thank goodness. And I hope I never do. Meantime, I will still gladly pay the premium for peace of mind.

We have used CSA Vacation Guarantee for all of our cruise vacations. This firm is used & recommended by our cruise travel agent. We had to use the benefits a couple years ago. We were on a 10 day Hawaii to Vancouver cruise. My dad passed away the morning we arrived in Hilo. After a few quick phone calls and switching plans, we were on a plane back to Honolulu and Seattle in a matter of hours. All I had to do was submit copies of my tickets and receipts for all expenses connected with this incident. I sent in the itinerary of the ship as well as the cost of the cruise (documents from our travel agent). Gave them a daily cost of the cruise & asked to be reimbursed for the last 5 days of the cruise. I received a check within two weeks. No cruises for us without CSA insurance.

We have used CSA Vacation Guarantee for all of our cruise vacations.

BTW, CSA is the same company that HAL uses to administer their insurance. As I have said on another thread, if you have a health insurance policy your should check to see who is primary for coverage. In my case, our health plan pays the entire cost of health care coverage outside of the U.S. Therefore, when I buy travel insurance I place more importance on the other elements of the plan then I do on the health care portion. Don't forget that Medicare does not pay anything for health care outside the U.S.

Ruffin

We had a lock hacked off a suitcase and digital camera stolen. TravelGuard paid claim in full, very quickly.

Candy <-- still locks the luggage

Hello, all!

We are debating which company to book our travel insurance through and would very much like to know from those who have had need of filing a claim, (1) which company you filed with, and (2) were you pleased with the results?!

Why would you have to send the check back to Travelex. It would seem that you paid a premium for extra coverage over and above your primary health coverage. Did Travelex charge you a lower policy price because you had primary coverage than they would have if you had no other insurance?

Always buy it and actually filed a claim last summer. Got stuck in San Juan, Puerto Rico airport on the way to Anguilla. We got to stay in the airport hotel while others camped out. Travelinsured paid for everything (except the beers:) I think it is more reasonably priced compared to others. I have insured my 7/23 cruise for five people including airfare and pre-cruise hotel for less than $50 per person.

Why would you have to send the check back to Travelex.

Because when you purchase insurance you are covering the risk of a potential financial loss. It is the possible 'financial loss' that Travelex was insuring against. Once Cruisinjudy was reimbursed by her HMO (primary insurer) for her husband's medical expenses, Travelex (secondary insurer) therefore had no financial loss to cover anymore. Judy and DH had already been 'made whole' by the HMO plan.

Secondary coverage only kicks in when primary coverage either has not insured one against that particular type of loss and the secondary insurer has insured against it, or if primary coverage does not cover the entire loss. In this case there was no outstanding loss for Travelex to pay.

Hello, all, and thank you for your responses!

I've decided on the travel insurance policy I want, but I have one additional question:

Have any of you actually bought the policy FROM/THROUGH insuremytrip.com? Or, do you usually go to the actual insuring company to purchase the policy?

I ask because insuremytrip.com is offering the policy for $30 less than the insuring company's website.

Also, for those who have purchased from insuremytrip.com, do you only deal with them for policy management, or can you still call the insuring company direct for policy management?

I'm hoping purchasing through insuremytrip.com is safe and dependable.

Any info. about purchasing through their website would be appreciated.

Thanks, in advance!

I usually purchase my travel insurance through my TA so that they can deal with the insurance company if necessary. However, one time I did purchase through insuremytrip.com and later wanted to have my policy transferred from one cruise to another. Insuremytrip.com handled the entire thing and I never dealt with the company myself. I was very pleased.

However, I am sure I could have called the insurance company myself as the policy was sent directly from the company to me. Initially that is what I thought I would have to do, but called insuremytrip just for information whether it would be possible to transfer the policy and they offered to handle it for me.

I was wondering when you had to buy the insurance by?

You may purchase the insurance anytime prior to departure from home. However, pre-existing conditions will not be covered unless you purchase the coverage within 14-21 days of making your initial trip deposit. Most have a 14-day requirement, but Travelex is 21 days.

We had to cancel a cruise this past Oct. because my husband got sick. We bought insurance thru insuremytrip.com and bought Travel Guard. They paid what we filed. They did want the doctor's statement but after we sent all the info to them, we had our check in just a few weeks. I think they said they are underwritten by AIG. We will use them again.

I have decided to go with Travelex (after much comparing) for insurance. Now, are there any difference between purchasing the policy directly with Travelex vs. via a third party such as insuremytrip.com? I have checked quotes on both and they are identical! Any pros or cons on each one? Thanks in advance.

LAX

I have decided to go with Travelex (after much comparing) for insurance. Now, are there any difference between purchasing the policy directly with Travelex vs. via a third party such as insuremytrip.com? I have checked quotes on both and they are identical! Any pros or cons on each one? Thanks in advance.

LAX

Hi! We decided to go with Travel Guard (it is primary insurance) and saved $30 by purchasing through insuremytrip.com. We received the exact same policy offered through Travel Guard's website -- in fact, it came right from them, not insuremytrip.com.

So far, we're very pleased with insuremytrip.com (and Travel Guard).

Archived