Hubby on Formal Night

careywv

Have fun suit shopping with Dh.

A suit is pretty much out of the question at this point. It's not as if he doesn't want one. It's just that at this point he doesn't feel it's a good investment - maybe in a year or so. We are in the "losing weight" process, so he wants to buy a suit when he hits his goal weight. :)

I have talked him in to khaki dress pants and either a button front oxford or polo with some boat shoes. Still kind of casual, but dressed up for him. I'm happy he has decided to wear pants! :p

Careywv, suits can be very slimming on men, have a look in thrift stores etc, outelt stores etc. you might just find one that fits, alternatively you might be able to rent one on board.

I say this as it's a good chance to have your pics taken looking really dressed up and suave and he'll be able to see how good he looks when dressed in something other than shapeless 'gangsta' casuals.

Try it out, he might be pleasantly surprised.:D

Thanks for the help. So we decided that khakis and a button-front is dressy for the hubs. He wants a suit when he gets to his goal weight - and I can't wait to see that. :D

As you may have seen on the dress thread, this is my formal dress:

54339?$product_main$&wid=290&hei=377

So, he will be wearing some flat front khaki Dockers, boat shoes, and this oxford (no tie) to match my dress.

I think he looks hot in oxford shirts, so I'm excited to see him dressed up. Also, his entire outfit cost more 2X more than the 3 formal/cocktail dresses I bought. :p

Poohbears,

When the sales lady, Sandy took 1 look at my husband and started pulling jackets for him, and when he tried on the 1st 3-button suit and it made him look 4" taller (or so it seemed, he's 5'6") I knew right away he was going to look wonderful in his suit. We ended up getting 3 suits. Now he will lay out a couple of suits and shirts and ties on the bed and call me in for my opinion. He does try to match his outfit to mine sometimes, as Sherrie Lynn mentioned her Drew does. However, I still think he looks the best in the olive-greenish suit since it makes his green eyes really stand out, so I tend to pick it a lot.

Careywv, it will be soooo worth it when you finally do get him into that suit, and I believe he will love it too. Who in the world wouldn't want to look good, no matter how un-vain they are?!

I think you will find that you will both be very uncomfortable if your husband should decide to wear these to the MDR on formal/elegant night' date=' especially if you are dressed up.[/b']

Most of the people do tend to dress elegantly for the evening, and I know you said that you wanted to dress up. lf you plan to wear a cocktail dress or even a "nice Church" type dress, then your husband needs to dress accordingly, and wear the minimum of long pants, sport coat and a tie.

It will also give you a wonderful oportunity to have some nice pictures taken. And as others have stated, there is always the possibility that the Maitre'd might ask him to change clothes for the evening. That would be awful for both of you, and it's only for a couple of hours. Tell him you want him to "dress up with you" so that you can "Show him off".;):)

Why do you think they will both be very uncomfortable? Do you think their clothes will not fit properly? Surely you do not think that they will be uncomfortable because of others!

Why do you think they will both be very uncomfortable? Do you think their clothes will not fit properly? Surely you do not think that they will be uncomfortable because of others!

I felt that was the underlying meaning of this comment. It's a vacation, and we will probably never see any of those people again. If I feel good and he feels good, then that's all that matters. I'm always a little dressier than he is, but that's because I'm really girly. I, personally, think he is going to look really hot in what we've picked out. :o

We cruise because it is cost effective for us based on the pricing of land vacations. It doesn't make it cost effective if I have to buy a $500 suit for my DH to wear one time. Again, he's not opposed to the suit, but he doesn't want to buy one until he's lost 100+ lbs.

If I'm making your dinner unbearable by my husband being dressed in Dockers and an oxford shirt, well then by all means, look the other way. :rolleyes:

Careywv, it will be soooo worth it when you finally do get him into that suit, and I believe he will love it too. Who in the world wouldn't want to look good, no matter how un-vain they are?!

He's only worn a tuxedo twice - once at our wedding and once at my sister's wedding. He's only a suit once - for a fancy dinner at a resort here in our area. I can tell you that all 3 times he hated it, and couldn't wait to be done. That being said, I think it was because he is a bigger guy and the fit wasn't great, too hot, etc. etc.

He is not opposed to getting a suit, but he doesn't want to spend that much money until he is at his goal weight. What would be the point for me to buy a suit for this cruise and then him lose 100 lbs.? I'd have to buy a brand new suit for our next cruise. Suits are expensive, especially for bigger men.

Purchasing one suit is one person's fare on another cruise. He'd rather cruise. :p

I felt that was the underlying meaning of this comment. It's a vacation, and we will probably never see any of those people again. If I feel good and he feels good, then that's all that matters. I'm always a little dressier than he is, but that's because I'm really girly. I, personally, think he is going to look really hot in what we've picked out. :o

We cruise because it is cost effective for us based on the pricing of land vacations. It doesn't make it cost effective if I have to buy a $500 suit for my DH to wear one time. Again, he's not opposed to the suit, but he doesn't want to buy one until he's lost 100+ lbs.

If I'm making your dinner unbearable by my husband being dressed in Dockers and an oxford shirt, well then by all means, look the other way. :rolleyes:

I am very sorry that I seem to have offended you with my opinon, but you asked the question, so you need to be prepared for the answers. I always try to be as nice to people as I know how, or try to treat people as I would want to be treated. With that being said, I did see lots of things on here that I did think were very inappropriate, such as "tell him to eat somewhere else, or call room service" "oddball" " "can't be bothered to make an effort" even down to " showing off their hairy legs". Now for some some reason, I don't recall saying anything of that nature. Yet, you seem to think that I have an underlying meaning about my comment. No there is no underlying meaning...it's as plain as daylight. There is nothing wrong with those choices for lunch in the MDR at lunch, but on elegant night they are not appropriate, especially if you are dressing up. Period...that it's

If you are comfortable with the outfits that you posted that is fine...but somehow I think you are not, or you would not have asked the question to begin with. I think you are a little insecure about this or you would not have asked would he be the "odd man out".

As far as making my dinner unbearable and telling me to look the other way, well now that is just plain rude....I don't like to be rude or crude or nasty to anyone as it just wasn't the way I was brought up. I usually try to be helpful on here when someone ask a question or an opinion. So will it ruin my cruise if your husband wears this outfit....no not in the least. I won't be seated there, so it's neither here nor there to me...If you and your husband are happy with your choices, that is what matters...whatever you decide I hope you have a nice cruise.

Sounds like your husband has absolutely no respect for either you or what makes you happy.

You guys must have a really great one way street marriage - you do what he wants but he will not respect what you wish.

DON

I am very sorry that I seem to have offended you with my opinon' date=' but you asked the question, so you need to be prepared for the answers. I always try to be as nice to people as I know how, or try to treat people as I would want to be treated. With that being said, I did see lots of things on here that I did think were very inappropriate, such as "tell him to eat somewhere else, or call room service" "oddball" " "can't be bothered to make an effort" even down to " showing off their hairy legs". Now for some some reason, I don't recall saying anything of that nature. Yet, you seem to think that I have an underlying meaning about my comment. No there is no underlying meaning...it's as plain as daylight. There is nothing wrong with those choices for lunch in the MDR at lunch, but on elegant night they are not appropriate, especially if you are dressing up. Period...that it's [/b']

If you are comfortable with the outfits that you posted that is fine...but somehow I think you are not, or you would not have asked the question to begin with. I think you are a little insecure about this or you would not have asked would he be the "odd man out".

As far as making my dinner unbearable and telling me to look the other way, well now that is just plain rude....I don't like to be rude or crude or nasty to anyone as it just wasn't the way I was brought up. I usually try to be helpful on here when someone ask a question or an opinion. So will it ruin my cruise if your husband wears this outfit....no not in the least. I won't be seated there, so it's neither here nor there to me...If you and your husband are happy with your choices, that is what matters...whatever you decide I hope you have a nice cruise.

We are really an easy going couple. I posted to see if he would ok wearing shorts. I've since seen the dress code, and I know now that it is not appropriate, so I appreciate those comments. But I don't feel that he will be an odd man out in khakis and a dress shirt.

I didn't mean my comment to be rude, but I just wouldn't let what someone else was wearing to ruin my dinner.

Sounds like your husband has absolutely no respect for either you or what makes you happy.

You guys must have a really great one way street marriage - you do what he wants but he will not respect what you wish.

DON

He's wearing dress khakis and an oxford shirt. I'd say that's a great compromise. I'm treated like a princess, so I really don't feel my one question would imply that we have one-way street marriage.

We just don't live in an area where you have much need for dressier clothing/suits. He works with special needs patients everyday, so he dresses very casually for work and at home.

Careywv,

I was referring to when your DH has lost his desired am't of weight, as you mentioned earlier that he plans to then get himself a suit that fits. However, that being said, I have seen some very large men in perfectly tailored suits that look very attractive and did not seem at all uncomfortable, so I am not sure that a person's large size equates with being uncomfortable in a suit. There are some terrific light weight fabrics for suits.

Careywv,

I was referring to when your DH has lost his desired am't of weight, as you mentioned earlier that he plans to then get himself a suit that fits. However, that being said, I have seen some very large men in perfectly tailored suits that look very attractive and did not seem at all uncomfortable, so I am not sure that a person's large size equates with being uncomfortable in a suit. There are some terrific light weight fabrics for suits.

No, I understood you meant that. Rented tuxedos and borrowed suits aren't tailored for him, so he was uncomfortable the entire time. Sleeves too long or too short, jacket too tight or too big, etc. So that's why he was uncomfortable.

Archived