Tinted glass!

ddakrt

Ugh, I just notice that the glass on the pool deck are tinted! I hate tinted glass on balconies (thank god those are regular, untinted, clear glass) and pool deck as I hate the colour difference from the glass portion to the open portion.

Why why why did NCL go with this option when all of their other ships uses the much more natural looking clear glass? :(

Booo.

I hate to inform the OP but all glass on all ships is tinted in some form. I am curious why it matters for a glass wall that prevents passengers from falling off the ship is a big difference because it is tinted. Most glass in cars, hotels, condos, and of course cruise ships is tinted.

The OP need to realize that ALL and EVERY balcony glass is tinted in some form.

Well, it's pretty obvious that the glass is tinted at the front of the ship from the bridge on up. It doesn't look overly tinted anywhere else. It certainly makes the Villa's stand out but with all that glass it makes sense to tint it. Living in the desert as we do, everyone drives around with car windows like that other wise it would be unbearable.

I hate to inform the OP but all glass on all ships is tinted in some form. I am curious why it matters for a glass wall that prevents passengers from falling off the ship is a big difference because it is tinted. Most glass in cars, hotels, condos, and of course cruise ships is tinted.

The OP need to realize that ALL and EVERY balcony glass is tinted in some form.

Thanks for the clarification David, but I would hope you realize that 1% (very dark, lets only 1% of sunlight through) is consider a tint, while 99% (very light, won't see any sort of tinting, lets 99% of light through) is also a tint. I'm not talking about the light tint between 95-99% here.

Why it matters? The glass wall is meant to be a barrier, but the reason why it's glass is to let people see through it and make it less noticeable for people looking out (and reduce the feeling of separation and confinement). With tinted glass the contrast between the glass and no-glass is huge, and annoying (which I already explained in the original post).

It's great that the indoor floor to ceiling glass are tinted, I love those and they don't make things look odd since there's no non-tinted area to look out of.

Check out the following pics, they're of the deluxe penthouse balcony on the Carnival Liberty; the tinted glass stands out and is annoying, creating the illusion of a barrier. I'd rather have it clear so everything would look uniform:

111569579.jpg

111569724.jpg

Or see the following pics of the Jewel I quickly created in Photoshop:

With clear (or very lightly tinted for David) glass that is what's installed on the ship:

2-2.jpg

Or with tinted glass in the style that is installed on Epic:

1-1.jpg

This ship doesn't have a lot of space to look out into the ocean as it is, I don't want more obstructions in the way.

This thread is a little crazy

Windows everywhere are tinted. Cars in Alaska have some basic tint. In Florida everything is heavily tinted from cars and house/condo windows. Every piece of glass or window on EVERY cruise ship is tinted. It prevents glare, heat, and gives a clearer view through the glass.

Some of the pictures that are posted are so enhanced and examples of extreme tint on a cloudy day. I wish you could walk into a balcony room without any tint. You would be blinded from the sun reflection off the ocean and glass and have to wear sunglasses..

This thread is a little crazy

Windows everywhere are tinted. Cars in Alaska have some basic tint. In Florida everything is heavily tinted from cars and house/condo windows. Every piece of glass or window on EVERY cruise ship is tinted. It prevents glare, heat, and gives a clearer view through the glass.

Some of the pictures that are posted are so enhanced and examples of extreme tint on a cloudy day. I wish you could walk into a balcony room without any tint. You would be blinded from the sun reflection off the ocean and glass and have to wear sunglasses..

David, you understand that there are different levels and colours of tint right?

I couldn't care less if NCL continue to use the very light tint (for your sake, while I call it clear) on the open decks of the Epic. The fact is that they didn't.

Care to explain how the pics I posted are "enhanced" aside from the one I clearly said I Photoshopped? The fact that you think they're "enhanced" tells me you think they look odd and not natural as well, this is what I am talking about.

Check out the pictures below and tell me you can't see the difference.

HAL likes to use dark tinted glass for their balconies and open decks:

2284860220071024607S425x425Q85.jpg

http://image22.webshots.com/23/1/26/60/210412660emZyno_fs.jpg

Not sure which ship or line this is from, but the tint is also very obvious:

76040.jpg

Carnival also likes to use the same tint on their balconies.

Carnival+Liberty+Cabin+%236452+Upper+Deck+CAT+9A+aft+wrap+around+Balcony+1.jpg

Carnival_Dream_Penthouse_Suite_2999.JPG

RCCL likes their light turquoise glass, this isn't that big a deal since it doesn't stand out as much and has a much more natural look when looking out. See how green it makes the balcony in the last 2 pics?

rc_brilliance_balcony.jpg

2289595830103236660S500x500Q85.jpg

1530%20-%20balcony%20left.jpg

1530%20-%20balcony%20right.jpg

Now check out NCL with their usual "clear" glass.

Balcony.jpg

pearl_strm_ownerSuite_balcony_web.jpg

If you can't tell the difference, well I think you need to get your eyes checked.

Here's Princess with their blue glass.

2967448670065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Golden_Princess_C255_Balcony.jpg

Balcony_Dinner01.JPG

eme1.JPG

Get my point yet? Since you said you drive by Port of Miami frequently, pay attention to the different ship's balconies and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about even if don't believe these pictures because you think they're enhanced.

Hey if anyone would like more research done on the types of glass used on different ships and would like to fund the research of such things.. My dh and I would be more than happy to be sent on different cruises just to take pics of the glass used on the balcony's and open areas...

I mean it would all be for the research..we promise not to enjoy ourselves..lol. We would be there for research purposes only....;)

Sandi, you can see it in most of the new post drydock pictures, you just got to zoom in a bit. :o

Kris,

okay, I see it and get your point. I also agree with you about the view but I guess there just isn't much point cause we can't do a whole lot about it until we are designing our own ships. :rolleyes:

Kris,

okay, I see it and get your point. I also agree with you about the view but I guess there just isn't much point cause we can't do a whole lot about it until we are designing our own ships. :rolleyes:

Sandi,

But then you can say that about 95% of threads on here regarding the Epic itself right? ;)

Nothing we can do about most (if not all) of the things that are discussed since NCL isn't about to ask STX to stop building to redo the plans based on our opinions.

Glass colour and darkness might be trivial to some people, but at least it affects my view out (which is a big part of the cruising experience right?). IMHO it's certainly more relevant to how the Epic looks on the outside or if my roommate can see me brush my teeth since those won't affect my travel experience one bit.:D

Sandi,

But then you can say that about 95% of threads on here regarding the Epic itself right? ;)

Nothing we can do about most (if not all) of the things that are discussed since NCL isn't about to ask STX to stop building to redo the plans based on our opinions.

Glass colour and darkness might be trivial to some people, but at least it affects my view out (which is a big part of the cruising experience right?). IMHO it's certainly more relevant to how the Epic looks on the outside or if my roommate can see me brush my teeth since those won't affect my travel experience one bit.:D

When you board have fun. At the end of the cruise on the comment card mention this as an observation. They get enough of this they change things. Look at Oasis vs Allure. They are changing some things because a lot of comments about Boardwalk were not good.

When you board have fun. At the end of the cruise on the comment card mention this as an observation. They get enough of this they change things. Look at Oasis vs Allure. They are changing some things because a lot of comments about Boardwalk were not good.

Oh it's not a huge deal and it's not going to stop me from sailing on the Epic at all. It was just an observation and unfortunately it was one that I didn't like. :o

Archived