Safe suntan lotion for marine life???

Just wondering what kind of restrictions may be for suntan lotion when we snorkel? I read somewhere about making sure it was safe.. how do I know this? and Could someone suggest what kind to use? We need something for fair skin, also for past squamesh(sp) cells and a medium complection

Alot of places ask that you use chemically free sunscreen if you swim with dolphins or at a reef. The only one I have been able to find here is the Burt's Bees. I got mine at walgreens. They had 15 and 30.

Alot of places ask that you use chemically free sunscreen if you swim with dolphins or at a reef. The only one I have been able to find here is the Burt's Bees. I got mine at walgreens. They had 15 and 30.

Thanks.. I may have to check Basspro,Dicks sporting goods and Gander too :)

We swam with dolphins at Discovery Cove in Florida a few years ago and they gave us Panama Jacks sunscreen as it was marine friendly. I can't remember what factor it was but it was a lot higher than we would normally use (15-20).

Pam

I found Carribean Solutions at our whole foods - it is biodegradable. It is SPF 25 - not quite as high as I would like, but I reapply often and have three coverups within built in SPF as well. Pale with freckles means I pay a lot of attention to not burning!

I do wish a more maintstream line would make this - I would buy it exclusively if I could find it more easily and slightly better priced (and a higher SPF).

They require you to wear biodegradable sunscreen to go snorkeling in the Riviera Maya, Mexico. That's the only place we've been to that required it, but it's not a bad idea to use it anywhere.

We bought Mexitan. You can't buy it in stores in the US so we ordered it online. We bought the SPF15 but they have higher SPF. We had no problems ordering it online. Here is a link to their website: http://www.mexitan.com/

Biodegradable sunscreen is a bit thicker than other sunscreens and it dries fast so put it on in the shade or it will be hard to rub in.

Archived