what to buy in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau,and ISP

trishs

Wonder what the government does with its extensive collection of confiscated ulu knives.

The State of Alaska is having a surplus property auction right now. In that Auction there are about 10 boxes of knives, scissors, and Ulu's All confiscated by TSA.

Dave in Juneau

Be sure to check out the mile by mile highway guide, it is good. It also gives you links to all the good web sites like the Cinnamon Roll place. We are doing the rental car deal this year too and we will definately try the cinnamon rolls. My wife says we have to have lunch. I say that is lunch. She says whats for dessert and I say we could have pie at the Emerald Lake Lodge.

I printed out the mile by mile highway guide, it looks great. I must have missed the cinnamon roll section. I'll go back and check it out. I agree, that sounds like lunch to me. (= Trish

My husband went crazy buying neat old fashioned wooden signs, mugs and barware in Juneau and Skagway for our home bar.

There's also a fabulous modern kitchen store in Sitka that has neat and unusual items for foodies and wanna-be chefs! The ulu's are definitely unique.

Just a reminder that some items in the galleries made of ivory or tusk are a risky purchase. But, the stores seemed very reputable and staff were telling passengers upfront what they could and couldn't take back to their countries.

Franci

------------------------------------------------------

:cool: NCL Sun ~ Inside Passage ~ T- 76 days and counting...

Trish, Whitehorse is the Capital of the Yukon territories and is roughly 30 miles on up from Emerald Lake. Go to http://www.visitwhitehorse.com. I hear it doesn't get the cruise traffic that other places get. We'll probably just do a quick self tour and a little shopping and head back. Glad Skagway is an all day stop for us.....Roy

http://www.yukonalaska.com/buns/

Here's the link for the cinnamon buns. I have not tried them but plan to this trip.

At the general store in CC I got my furry hat. I'll be wearing it that day for sure. A similar hat not quite the quality was $70 in skag, $35 US in CC.

We were just blown away by the scenary on the whole trip. It was the north country we had come to see. We were glad we went in May. Lots of snow around.

Rob,

This is Singinman on my wife's computer.

I just checked the Princess book. You will be in Skagway the day before we get there.

You are taking the same cruise we took last year. We had a blast even though we missed two ports. If you have a balcony room, you will have the best seat in the house for Tracy Arm, especially if it is covered. It was raining steadily our day in the Arm so we retreated from the upper deck to our cabin and realized that the balcony was the perfect place from which to watch. You see one side in and the other out. And in May you see all the water falls.

Hey singinman on your wifes computer, Its Roy not Rob but I've been called a lot worse. (haha). We actually have the 2 aft cabins on the port side of the Tererace Pool (A744 & A746) on the Aloha deck. Did we do good, Give us some tips. We just got our final payment from our TA today and our cabins dropped $386.00 per cabin, WOW talk about great news. Is it better to check in early or later for the checkin. Anyway we just can't wait, we will be celebrating our 30th Anniversary with another couple and I know we will have a blast.....ROY

Sorry Roy, my friends know I'm lousy with names and suffer from faulty vision and fumbling fingers at the keyboard. So somewhere in those three afflictions lies the explanation.

WOW, $800 in savings. I thought we were doing good.

I understand the aft balconeys are the best. We had mid-ships starboard Aloha deck. I thought we were perfectly situated for convenience. The HC was right at the top of the stairs.

Located aft, you might need to go top-side, if you actually get to Sawyer Glacier. We did not because of the ice. If it is raining hard, the promenade deck has a viewing area that is covered above and open to the front. Our TA talked us into the balconey and we are glad she did.

We found the walking distances from point to point on board to be short for such a long ship except for the times we exited the aft stairs/elevators on the Aloha deck and walked to our cabin. That hallway had to be at least two miles long. There is nothing to break the trip. Its just cabin after cabin.

Watch out for the wall mounted tissue dispensers in the public bathrooms. I gashed my finger open on one of them. The metal covers have sharp edges.

The D is a wonderful ship and I know you will enjoy her.

We have cruised to Alaska twice now and I always bring back the Northern Lights Candles...They are a gel candle that sits on a reflective disc and when they are burning the color splashes out like the Northern Lights...A real hit...And they will not melt in your luggage...I bring back at least 10 each time and have never had a problem...They come in an assortment of colors and 2 sizes...Of course I bring Ulu knives and bear claws home too...everybody loves these too...And if you like dolls...There is a Precious Moments doll that is exclusive to Alaska with a Tribal cape that she wears...

We have cruised to Alaska twice now and I always bring back the Northern Lights Candles...They are a gel candle that sits on a reflective disc and when they are burning the color splashes out like the Northern Lights...A real hit...And they will not melt in your luggage...I bring back at least 10 each time and have never had a problem...They come in an assortment of colors and 2 sizes...Of course I bring Ulu knives and bear claws home too...everybody loves these too...And if you like dolls...There is a Precious Moments doll that is exclusive to Alaska with a Tribal cape that she wears...

The Northern Lights Candles sound great! Do you remember where you bought them? I've never seen them in our 2 shopping trips in Ketchikan, Juneau or Skagway. Are they available online?

If you are interested in pottery we found beautiful bowls, dishes and coffee mugs in Ketchikan. I thought overall the shopiing was best in Ketchikan from a quality and value perspective. We also shipped fresh frozen halibut and salmon home from Juneau. There is a fishery right at the dock. The fish was somewhat expensive but arrived perfect and tasted very fresh and it was a wonderful reminder of our trip for months afterward.:)

Can Ulu Knives & Bear Claw Tongs be found at all ports or do we need to look for them while in Juneau, Icy strait Point, Skagway or Ketchikan?

Would hate to miss the "only" spot for these gift items!

Have started a log of each town we will visit and the gifts and points of interest people so graciously share will us "first timers'!

Someone mentioned "Northern Light Candles" as gifts but no location was given; anyone have any idea?

I did a search on Northern Lights Candles (as I love candles) and there was a lady in Alaska that replied.She said there are the soy candles that are made locally by a company called Northern Lights.And then the Northern Lights candles,a candle that has glittery flakes in a clear gel.There is suppose to be a store in Juneau that has a large assortment (no name mentioned).Some were bought from The Riverboat Discovery in Fairbanks for around $15.And the Museum Shop in the 5th ave mall in Anchorage.Skagway was also mentioed(again no name).I have a brochure from Skagway,and candles are not listed in any of the stores ads,nor on any of their websites! So,I guess I will keep looking.If anyone knows a store in Skagway,Juneau or Ketchican,Id love to know! Thanks. Dot