NCL allows you to bring you own bike on board, have you???

STLPilot

Don't know, that's why I started this thread, just to hear the pro's and con's. Someone said in previous post they saw a bike outside a room with luggage tag, so I guess so. I was more interested in how to take on/off while at port. Hopefully you can just wheel it right out.

I could be wrong, butI think my friend who had the folding bike was told he had to have it in some kind of carrier if he wanted to personally take it on and off. He used a wheeled luggage carrier which works for a folder but not a full size.

I can rattle his cage to see what he was told about bikes in general.

I could be wrong, butI think my friend who had the folding bike was told he had to have it in some kind of carrier if he wanted to personally take it on and off. He used a wheeled luggage carrier which works for a folder but not a full size.

I can rattle his cage to see what he was told about bikes in general.

That would be great thank you!!

That would be great thank you!!

Thought maybe he woud show up here and he still might but he brought up a good point in his email.

He could have wheeled his folder on board himself but then he would have been stuck with it until the cabin was ready so he gave it to the porter and it was then delivered with his other luggage. I was on a B2B and watched him leave the ship with it attached to the luggage wheelie thing.;)

I suggest you call NCL a number of times to see if you get the SAME answer each time as to what to do since there always seem to be different answers. I would make sure of the exact procedure because you don't want to get to the ship with your full size bike and find it would be a problem. Obviously it can be done since I'm the one who saw the bike in the hall with the luggage tag on it.

Thought maybe he woud show up here and he still might but he brought up a good point in his email.

He could have wheeled his folder on board himself but then he would have been stuck with it until the cabin was ready so he gave it to the porter and it was then delivered with his other luggage. I was on a B2B and watched him leave the ship with it attached to the luggage wheelie thing.;)

I suggest you call NCL a number of times to see if you get the SAME answer each time as to what to do since there always seem to be different answers. I would make sure of the exact procedure because you don't want to get to the ship with your full size bike and find it would be a problem. Obviously it can be done since I'm the one who saw the bike in the hall with the luggage tag on it.

Actually I'm not that concerned about it, I live just a few blocks from the ports, I'll probably just go down there next Sunday and ask them what the dillio really is. So far the consensus being it's go for launch. I found a lot of these boats to be very flexible in almost all of their policies.

Actually I'm not that concerned about it, I live just a few blocks from the ports, I'll probably just go down there next Sunday and ask them what the dillio really is. So far the consensus being it's go for launch. I found a lot of these boats to be very flexible in almost all of their policies.

What the port people tell you and what happens on the ship can be 2 different things. I've also found that the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.

Sounds like you're very easy going. Me? I'm not an over planner by any means, I just don't like surprises.:p

Sounds like you're very easy going. Me? I'm not an over planner by any means, I just don't like surprises.:p
Ha! Nailed it. It took me years to convince my wife to follow my direction and go about these cruises with as little as planning as possible. I mean afterall each trip is an adventure, why not make the planning the same. Never once took an excursion and never would. Also we only book our cruises within the last few days when prices are rock bottom. Use the money saved for some damn fine dining. You don't need to know too much info, just the basics to get wherever you need to go. Overthinking only leads to overstress.

We were cruising on the Star in 2005 when we met a couple who had brought their bikes on board. Theirs were the folding kind. They were in an interior cabin at the aft of the ship. Because there were so few people back there on that deck, they were allowed to leave the bikes parked in the hallway.

I just have to comment on this one!

We've been on two cruises where passengers left their strollers out in the hallway ("It's too crowded in our cabin for all of our stuff!").

The hallways are darned narrow to begin with, and adding extra crap for every other passenger to trip over (or negotiate around) is simply irresponsible...and in the case of one of the strollers (after my DW became entangled in it)...the Concierge agreed with me, and the stroller "disappeared".

In my opnion, EVERYTHING that passengers bring aboard belong in their staterooms, or in storage, out of the way of others!

I'd love to take our Segways aboard, but with the close confines of a ship, it is just not practical.

I just have to comment on this one!

We've been on two cruises where passengers left their strollers out in the hallway ("It's too crowded in our cabin for all of our stuff!").

The hallways are darned narrow to begin with, and adding extra crap for every other passenger to trip over (or negotiate around) is simply irresponsible...and in the case of one of the strollers (after my DW became entangled in it)...the Concierge agreed with me, and the stroller "disappeared".

In my opnion, EVERYTHING that passengers bring aboard belong in their staterooms, or in storage, out of the way of others!

I'd love to take our Segways aboard, but with the close confines of a ship, it is just not practical.

FYI - I'll be sailing the NCL Dawn in about 5-6 weeks. I'll be the guy having his picture taken with his bike on formal nite if you like to give me a piece of your mind. :)

FYI - I'll be sailing the NCL Dawn in about 5-6 weeks. I'll be the guy having his picture taken with his bike on formal nite if you like to give me a piece of your mind. :)

Good luck with that! :rolleyes:

I'd have a 2 pronged approach. First, make sure you have a pocket full of 20s when you ride up to port so you can grease whoever you need to. Second, make sure you leave early enough so you can return the bike to your apartment if the first plan goes bust.

Um, the OP is planning to leave the bikes in his cabin. :confused::rolleyes:

Not to put a fine edge on this, but I think that if you take the time to go back and look, my initial response was to the poster that commented that he/she had seen bicycles parked in the hallway.

OP sounds like a great idea. 2 bikes will be a bit tight, but I think you'll be fine considering how tiny an apartment can be in Manhattan and all ;):D We always said we would do this since we're close to the boston port.

After the last bike tour we did I would prefer to have my own bike instead of a rental since it was made for me in mind.

Would love to know how you make out with having your bike on board afte r your trip!

-Q

Not to put a fine edge on this, but I think that if you take the time to go back and look, my initial response was to the poster that commented that he/she had seen bicycles parked in the hallway.

You're absolutely correct. My mistake, my apologies.

[quote name='downsized']Not to put a fine edge on this, but I think that if you take the time to go back and look, my initial response was to the poster that commented that he/she had seen bicycles parked in the hallway.[/quote]
If you're referring to my post, let me put a fine edge on it.;)
The [I]one[/I] I saw was the last night when all the luggage was put out for pick up, and very late at night at that. It did not take up anymore room than any of the HUGE suitcases that were also there. That was the one and only time I saw it and I passed by that cabin many times.

Archived