NCL allows you to bring you own bike on board, have you???

STLPilot

Hi, I'm going to take the Dawn NYC/Bermuda and am planning to bring my bike on board. Since I live just blocks from the port in Manhattan, I'm just going to roll the bike right on. They said you can as long as you can fit it in your room. You don't need a bag and can take on/off anytime your please. He even said "people do it all the time".

Question, has anyone else brought their bike on board? Just want to know the pros and cons please!!! Personally I only see cons. Anyone with experience please feel free to share yours!

THANKS!

Hi, I'm going to take the Dawn NYC/Bermuda and am planning to bring my bike on board. Since I live just blocks from the port in Manhattan, I'm just going to roll the bike right on. They said you can as long as you can fit it in your room. You don't need a bag and can take on/off anytime your please. He even said "people do it all the time".

Question, has anyone else brought their bike on board? Just want to know the pros and cons please!!! Personally I only see cons. Anyone with experience please feel free to share yours!

THANKS!

I'm not saying you can't...I don't know...but I'd double check. If the "they" is NCL customer service, "they" don't have a very good track record for the accuracy of their answers.

I'm fairly certain I've read somewhere on cruise critic that only folding bicycles were allowed on board, but I can't say with any certainty that the cruise line mentioned was NCL.

THANKS!

We were on the Spirit to Bermuda on 4/23 and a couple (daisy-mae) from our roll call brought their bikes on board. They had a great time on Bermuda and spent 2 days riding the bike trail around the island. This is what she posted on our roll call about biking after we returned....

All in all, the cruise was a success. We managed to cycle the length of Bermuda (in two stages); what a beautiful island! The crew were very good about us having our bikes on board; for that reason alone, we would consider NCL for future cruises.

It might take a bit of arranging in the cabin to find space for the bike, but I think it sounds like a great idea for Bermuda cruises. :)

Unless your in a Suite, the rooms are not huge, a bicycle or two would be getting in the way. As you'll be in Bermuda for 3 days, you can surely rent a bike there. Although "Bermuda" and "reasonably priced" aren't often used in the same sentence, how much could it cost to rent a bicycle for a couple days? A scooter is only $58 a day and that has an engine!!

We were cruising on the Star in 2005 when we met a couple who had brought their bikes on board. Theirs were the folding kind. They were in an interior cabin at the aft of the ship. Because there were so few people back there on that deck, they were allowed to leave the bikes parked in the hallway.

Unless your in a Suite, the rooms are not huge, a bicycle or two would be getting in the way. As you'll be in Bermuda for 3 days, you can surely rent a bike there. Although "Bermuda" and "reasonably priced" aren't often used in the same sentence, how much could it cost to rent a bicycle for a couple days? A scooter is only $58 a day and that has an engine!!

Pedal bikes are pretty reasonable to rent in Bermuda, it's finding a place that rents them that is a problem.;)

Thanks, but I know all about alternative solutions. I'm an avid road rider and "with an engine" isn't my style. When I say avid rider, typically ride 8k miles per year. :)

it's finding a place that rents them that is a problem.;)
Zackly! This is the first time I'm leaving from a port which is only a few blocks from my home, I'm going to ride from my apartment right onto the boat. Plus it's just one port of call, so why not. I have all the tools, tubes, pump and stuff I need for my bike already attached. In other words, my bike is already dialed in and a very trustworthy piece of machinery.

Anyway ... anyone else with experience, I'm very grateful!

8, 000 miles a year. That is impressive. Go for it. The rooms do not have much floor space. Is there a way your bike could fit under the bed?

Sure, I can take handlebars off with 2 screws if I had too. Pedals come right off, why not! Oh it will be 2 bikes, not 1. I know the rooms are tight, but I don't ever recall doing much in my room on any cruise other than changing and sleeping.

Finding this thread very interesting. My DH is an avid cyclist like the OP. He has shipped his bike to various places to take part in cycling tours. Never thought about taking it on a cruise.
Exactly! And what about all these new eco-cruises? Certainly they would encourage bringing your bike on board? No? Maybe someday bring a bike on board will the social norm. Like you said, never thought about taking a bike on board, but the advantages are huge. Like being smack dab in the center of town when everyone else is lined up and waiting to get on a bus, like the good little soldiers they are. :)

Get a couple sets of ceiling hooks and hang your bikes above the bed. You may want to ask your stewart where the studs are and how deep you can drill.

You're not serious are you? The ceilings have all looked like they're metal and I don't think there are studs.

OP,

A friend took his folding bike last year so that's a bit different than your situation. However, I DID see a full size bike out in the hall the last night with a luggage tag on it with all the rest of the luggage. One thing I would like to caution you about and that is, there are no shoulders to ride on. I've seen people on bikes in the travelling lane but they were probably residents who are used to the narrow roads and impatient drivers.....looked like suicide to me.:eek:

The rail trail is a different story and there's a nice circular route around St. George that would be safe with gorgeous views along the shoreline.:)

You're not serious are you? The ceilings have all looked like they're metal and I don't think there are studs.

OP,

A friend took his folding bike last year so that's a bit different than your situation. However, I DID see a full size bike out in the hall the last night with a luggage tag on it with all the rest of the luggage. One thing I would like to caution you about and that is, there are no shoulders to ride on. I've seen people on bikes in the travelling lane but they were probably residents who are used to the narrow roads and impatient drivers.....looked like suicide to me.:eek:

The rail trail is a different story and there's a nice circular route around St. George that would be safe with gorgeous views along the shoreline.:)

HAHA! No I don't think I'll be hanging the bike. There will be plenty of room, even in a small stateroom I could fit 2 no problem. We are young, active couple and don't really care too much about a cluttered space. If I can still fit on the bed and make my way to the shower, I'm good to go. Spent much longer than a cruise living and sleeping in a foxhole, so I've been in much worst conditions than this before.

I find it strange that some people in another thread I saw, find it strange to bring a bike on board. Personally I think it's strange to drive a car, but that's just me. :)

Sure, I can take handlebars off with 2 screws if I had too. Pedals come right off, why not! Oh it will be 2 bikes, not 1. I know the rooms are tight, but I don't ever recall doing much in my room on any cruise other than changing and sleeping.

You might have to put the bikes in bed with you....lol

OP - check this out - it is on NCL Dawn

http://www.bikeandcruise.com/caribbean.html

I also saw another bike cruise advertised somewhere. It was going to Bermuda I believe but I can't remember which cruiseline/which port it went from.

Awesome!!! Thank you!!! Of course they add the price of your rented bike in the costs. :)

THANKS!

I think it's a great idea. One time while we were docked in St. Thomas we saw a couple wheeling their bikes off the ship docked next to us and at the time we were curious if they were passengers or crew.....forgot all about it until just now reading your post :) So once you get to the pier do you just put a luggage tag on it and give it to the porter with your luggage?

I think it's a great idea. One time while we were docked in St. Thomas we saw a couple wheeling their bikes off the ship docked next to us and at the time we were curious if they were passengers or crew.....forgot all about it until just now reading your post :) So once you get to the pier do you just put a luggage tag on it and give it to the porter with your luggage?
Don't know, that's why I started this thread, just to hear the pro's and con's. Someone said in previous post they saw a bike outside a room with luggage tag, so I guess so. I was more interested in how to take on/off while at port. Hopefully you can just wheel it right out.

Don't know, that's why I started this thread, just to hear the pro's and con's. Someone said in previous post they saw a bike outside a room with luggage tag, so I guess so. I was more interested in how to take on/off while at port. Hopefully you can just wheel it right out.

Well, one big con would be trying to fit two bike's in your stateroom, if you don't have a suite. I am not sure if you have cruised NCL before, but no matter how many times people talk about small rooms, it is still a shock when you see them the first time. A few people have already mentioned this, and it should not be glossed over.

Archived