Amalfi Excursion to Pompeii?

cyberjoys

We will be on Oceania Nautica for a Mediterranean cruise in July and was wondering if anyone has any past experience with booking an excursion from Amalfi to Pompeii? Or does anyone feel that the only way time to see Pompeii is when we stop at Sorrento? Oceania only offers the excursion from Sorrento. We prefer to wait until we disembark at Amalfi, unless it's not recommended. Any helpful advice will be appreciated.

This would probably be more precisely answered on the "ports of call" section of CC but I would offer my opinion. Sorrento is considered on the Amalfi Coast and is probably the northern most city which would make it the closest to Pompeii. I would think that is where you would want to take the Pompeii excursion from. I could be and probably am wrong, but I've never heard of a town called Amalfi; but again, if there is one, it's probably south of Sorrento.

We will be on Oceania Nautica for a Mediterranean cruise in July and was wondering if anyone has any past experience with booking an excursion from Amalfi to Pompeii? Or does anyone feel that the only way time to see Pompeii is when we stop at Sorrento? Oceania only offers the excursion from Sorrento. We prefer to wait until we disembark at Amalfi, unless it's not recommended. Any helpful advice will be appreciated.

Best to check that you've a full day in port.

Yes, can be done from Amalfi, but by either the coast road east to pick up the main A3 near Salerno, or a tortuous route over the backbone of the peninsula via beautiful Ravello (stop here for the views) on steep, twisty & narrow roads. Either way will take about an hour, whereas from Sorrento its about half of that. Or very very cheap & easy from Sorrento to Pompeii using the Circumvesuvius train, which runs approx 1/2hrly - that's the way I'd do it.

Guessing you're looking at Pompeii from Amalfi because you've got other things planned for your day in Sorrento, which would be a shame because the coast west of Amalfi is spectacular. From Amalfi, bus or taxi round the coast to Sorrento, ferry to Capri, funicular to the town on Capri & a short walk for spectacular lofty views, ferry from Capri back along the Amalfi coast to Amalfi, with a stop in Positano if time allows.

That's the way I'd do it.

Janice - Sorrento is on the northern side of the peninsula, overlooking the Bay of Naples. The Amalfi coast is on the south side of the peninsula, and yes, Amalfi is south of Sorrento.

So that's my two days sorted. :rolleyes:

How about you? :D

John Bull

Amalfi will be a gorgeous place to start from. And yes, I would definitely see Pompeii. Personally, I would do a private tour to get the most out of your day. We toured with RomeinLimo (as well as many others) and they made the most of our time there. They can also set you up with a private guide that will meet you at the gate of Pompeii. One year we toured with them and did not get a guide into Pompeii... just wandered on our own and it was fascinating. We just met the driver back out at the gate at a certain time. This last year we decided with taking our kids and my mother that we would invest in the guide. I cannot explain how good the difference was. haha... we weren't just wandering around aimlessly. Either way though, GO to Pompeii. It's an incredible site!

Have fun! It's my favorite port of call!

Archived