Rostock & Warnemunde Germany city card

Hi there,

My husband and I going on a Baltic cruise in June. We read that you can purchase a city card for Rostock & Warnemunde Germany good for transport and sightseeing. Our thoughts are (Plan A), we get off the cruise ship in Warnemunde and take the train to Rostock. Visit a couple of sites like Neuer Market, the astrological clock of St. Mary's church and of course, visiting a microbrewery before taken the boat/ferry back to Warnemunde. Our questions are as follows:

1. How far from the cruise port is the train station in Warnemude?

2. Where do buy the city card at?

3. How much does it cost?

4. Where do we catch the ferry/boat back to Warnemude at?

5. Where is the best microbrewery located at, either in Rostock or Warnmunde?

Any information would be very much appreciated! Thank you!:)

Best regards,

Trish

Hi there,

My husband and I going on a Baltic cruise in June. We read that you can purchase a city card for Rostock & Warnemunde Germany good for transport and sightseeing. Our thoughts are (Plan A), we get off the cruise ship in Warnemunde and take the train to Rostock. Visit a couple of sites like Neuer Market, the astrological clock of St. Mary's church and of course, visiting a microbrewery before taken the boat/ferry back to Warnemunde. Our questions are as follows:

1. How far from the cruise port is the train station in Warnemude?

2010RostockWarnemuendeA11-vi.jpg

2. Where do buy the city card at?

If you are talking about the one day pass incl. admission to sights???

It's called Rostock Welcome Card:

2009WarnemuendeN080402-vi.jpg

It's available next to the cruise terminal in the "Pier 7"-building:

2010RostockWarnemuendeB16-vi.jpg

just right of the cruise ship with the blue roof.

Or are you talking about a day pass for public transport only without admission to attractions???

3. How much does it cost?

Check here update:

http://www.rostock.travel/sixcms/detail.php?template=seite_tourismus_welcomecard_en&_sid1=rostock_01.c.13291.de&_sid2=rostock_01.c.39228.de&_sid3=rostock_01.c.67234.de

Last year it was 10 EUR per person for the Rostock Welcome Card.

Only transportation 4.50 EUR for single and 13.50 EUR for groups of 5 - BUT IF YOU ONLY GO ONE WAY AND RETURN BY BOAT: IT'S CHEAPER TO BUY ONE WAY SINGLES FOR 1.70 EUR.

4. Where do we catch the ferry/boat back to Warnemude at?

Here at Stadthafen (BUT IT'S NO FERRY):

2010RostockStadthafen07-vi.jpg

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemunde-germany-rostock-boat-tour.html

5. Where is the best microbrewery located at, either in Rostock or Warnmunde?

No idea if it is good as I am not a beer-drinker... but at the Stadthafen:

2010RostockStadthafen01-vi.jpg

Zum alten Fritz.

Regards

HeinBloed

If you are only going into Rostock from Warnemünde and not travelling around in the city with public transportation I would second the single one way ticket for 1,70€ per person. Though if you want to take the Tram to another part of the city then a day card 4,50€ would be better...no idea what that city card or welcome ticket is. Ok just looked it up, the english site is under construction. If you buy that looks like you would get a reduced price on that 'ferry' ride back to Warnemünde from Rostock. Not sure how much though. It looks like there are a bunch of other reductions, not sure if they are relevant or not. Heinblöds German is better than mine so he would be able to translate better. :)

As for catching the Ferry back I think it is not far from Zum alten Fritz, Again heinblöd has a picture somewhere of where to catch that boat. Though there will be some walking involved back to it. You must be careful with time with the last boat from Rostock to Warnemünde. On your way to the train you will pass by this boat, so remember to look at the board they have set up.

I did try to google microbreweries here and came up with two in Rostock. Zum alten Fritz and another that is not near the city center. I have only heard good things about Zum alten Fritz...I am a beer drinker I just have never been there. For regional beers I am a Lübzer fan, but Rostocker is ok. These beers you can buy in stores or order at most restaurants.:)

So would you take the boat over to Rostock and then take the train back Warnemuende:confused: Or would you do this in reverse??? What we read so far, we think we want to spend MORE time in Warnemuende than Roctock, our ship "Eclipse" is we in port from 9:00 am to 23:59 pm. BTW, what is the cost for boat to Rostock? Thank you in advance!

Trish

So would you take the boat over to Rostock and then take the train back Warnemuende:confused: Or would you do this in reverse??? What we read so far, we think we want to spend MORE time in Warnemuende than Roctock, our ship "Eclipse" is we in port from 9:00 am to 23:59 pm. BTW, what is the cost for boat to Rostock? Thank you in advance!

Trish

BY BOAT:

One-way is 8 EUR

Roundtrip is 12 EUR

The boat service to Rostock is not very frequently (1-2 sailings per hour):

http://www.blaueflotte.de/Fahrplan_und_Preise_15.html

I would have a long breakfast and stay until the first boat starts at 10.30 hrs...

Perfect time for a walk in the City of Rostock and having lunch.

Train goes every 10-15 minutes during the peak-time.

So you are more flexible to return instead of getting stuck with the schedule.

Regards

HeinBloed

BY BOAT:

One-way is 8 EUR

Roundtrip is 12 EUR

The boat service to Rostock is not very frequently (1-2 sailings per hour):

http://www.blaueflotte.de/Fahrplan_und_Preise_15.html

I would have a long breakfast and stay until the first boat starts at 10.30 hrs...

Perfect time for a walk in the City of Rostock and having lunch.

Train goes every 10-15 minutes during the peak-time.

So you are more flexible to return instead of getting stuck with the schedule.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you! You have been very helpful!

Trish

If we get a train to Rostock and buy the e 1.70 ticket each way- should we buy a round trip ticket for each of us.? I take it the ticket is not good for the tram or bus. When we get off in Rostock are we near the center of the city and what will it say to exit? Do you have to validate the ticket before you get on the train? Should we buy it at a ticket machine or a booth?

If we get a train to Rostock and buy the e 1.70 ticket each way- should we buy a round trip ticket for each of us.?

There are no round trip tickets available. But you can buy them in advance for your return journey and validate them later when you return.

2010RostockWarnemuendeBf15-vi.jpg

Just press "+ Another ticket" to get more than one (for multiple persons or return tickets in advance).

I take it the ticket is not good for the tram or bus.

It is. It's an integrated tariff which means the ticket is good for the ride on the commuter train and later you can transfer to the tram to get to the city center.

When we get off in Rostock are we near the center of the city and what will it say to exit?

2007HROBfF40-vi.jpg

Rostock Hbf (= Hauptbahnhof = Central Station).

If you like to walk to the city center: Exit to "Ausgang Nord/Reisezentrum".

2009RostockHbf04-vi.jpg

If you prefer to take the tram you go downstairs and follow this sign for the city-bound trams. Take tram 5 or 6 and get off at Neuer Markt. If you need to wait too long. Take tram 3 and 4 and get off at Steintor and walk just a few blocks (5 minutes).

2009RostockHbfTram09-vi.jpg

Do you have to validate the ticket before you get on the train?

2010RostockWarnemuendeBf09-vi.jpg

When you return and have already your ticket: you validate it in the tram once you boarded but you do it always just once you start your journey and never when you transfer.

Should we buy it at a ticket machine or a booth?

Depending to the opening times and your personal skills:

2010RostockWarnemuendeA13-vi.jpg

It's easy to buy at the machine:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-rostock-buying.html

Regards

HeinBloed

Hi there again:)

Couple more questions (please)!

Is taking the boat ride from Rostock back to Warnemunde scenic, worth the money? Or is it just another mode of transportation.

If the boat ride is worth it, where is it located in Rostock? Is it very near the train station?

We are still trying to decide if we should take the train round trip, or one way and taking the boat the back to Warnemude (something different).

Thank you in advance!

Trish

Hi there again:)

Couple more questions (please)!

Is taking the boat ride from Rostock back to Warnemunde scenic, worth the money? Or is it just another mode of transportation.

You know Fort Lauderdale??? If you are expecting a tour like there with Carrie B. you will be very disappointed.

There will a lot of port and port activities to see. You will have really more a harbour cruise but a scenic cruise. One side is the former Garden Show area - but do not put very high expectation to this.

I did it once when I went on my very first cruise but somehow I would not do it again.

It's a nice and calm way to have a cup of coffee and going slowly to Rostock.

If the boat ride is worth it, where is it located in Rostock?

Stadthafen = City Port = at the Northern City Center.

2010RostockStadthafen11-vi.jpg

Follow to the bilding with the pinnacle... You need about 10-15 minutes to walk up...

Now zoom...

See all the stairs taking you up... to KAUFHOF...

2010RostockStadthafen13-vi.jpg

That department store is in the shopping mile / pedestrian zone.

Is it very near the train station?

From there you can walk in 20-30 minutes to the train station or you take the tram (tram ride included for 1.70 EUR getting back to Warnemünde).

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived